Bill Bennet: abort every black baby, crime would go down

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 03:19 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

You (and like-minded others) are completely wrong.

This issue is an unfortunate example of partisan reflex overwhelming rationality.

Very depressing.[/quote
Then let me ask you a simple question.

Do white people and black people share the same history?

Be aware that, aside from being sold as chattel, they were later used in experiments for syphilis, quite against their will.

Consider this before you get on your high horse making pronouncements and statements of priciple.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 03:56 am
In case you might be interested to know how this incident is being reported by the media in far flung places, here's a report from my local (melbourne, Australia) daily paper:

Fury over abort blacks remark:
http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/fury-over-abort-blacks-remark/2005/10/01/1127804697023.html
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 08:19 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

You (and like-minded others) are completely wrong.

This issue is an unfortunate example of partisan reflex overwhelming rationality.

Very depressing.[/quote
Then let me ask you a simple question.

Be aware that, aside from being sold as chattel, they were later used in experiments for syphilis, quite against their will.

Consider this before you get on your high horse making pronouncements and statements of priciple.[/quote]

And your point is?

Thanks you for supporting my point...(emotional) partisan reflex overwhelming rationality.

Let us stipulate that African-Americans have suffered in so many ways thanks to institutionalized racism in America. This is not a point to be debated. Be it slavery, lynching, syphilis experiments or merely being forced to sit at the back of the bus, African-Americans, in general, and historically, have gotten a pretty raw deal in America. Who is arguing with you on this point? I realize that it is a favorite song of white Liberals to bemoan the plight of the black man, but the song doesn't play when no one is disagreeing with you.

Concluding that Bennett is laying the high crime rate at the feet of black people is sheer stupidity. Clouding the issue in a high-minded, sanctimonious retelling of the plight of blacks in America is worse than stupid, it's demagoguery. And you have the nerve to accuse me of riding a high horse?!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 09:18 pm
When he said it would lower the crime rate, he's right. However, you could fill in "abort every "X" baby, and you'll have lower crime."

Like "abort every baby born into poverty, and you'll decrease crime."

"Abort every baby with a family history of abuse, and you'll lower crime."

I was talking to a friend the other day about this guy's comments. We grew up in a very mixed city, ethnicity-wise, and one with high crime rates. All the "punks" in the neighborhood had nothing to do with their skin color...it had to do with how they were brought up. The kids who's parents obviously didn't care what they were doing at night walking the streets, it's them. And they were black, hispanic, asian, white...all kinds. I never thought of one group any "worse" than the other. Honestly, I ran into more trouble with white kids.

It was pretty ignorant for this guy to single out black people.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 09:36 pm
Oh, lawsy, I finally agree with Slappy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 09:39 pm
Although...

in my personal observation it is groups within groups that rig up ways to get by that are sometime henceforth known by others as criminal, usually not incorrectly. Are the groups to blame or the circumstances? People decide on the question in different ways. I am sort of mixed on it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 10:05 pm
Nurture, nature, enviironment. There are exceptions to all general rules.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 11:11 pm
kelticwizard wrote:

Consider this before you get on your high horse making pronouncements and statements of priciple.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
And your point is?

This is not a point to be debated. Be it slavery, lynching, syphilis experiments or merely being forced to sit at the back of the bus, African-Americans, in general, and historically, have gotten a pretty raw deal in America.

And you are pretending not to be able to understand that people who had to endure being used as unwitting human guinea pigs in syphilis experiments, to top all the other attempts to drive home their inferior status in America for so many years, might react somewhat more strongly to a suggestion about having all their babies aborted than other groups?

You actually have difficulty grasping that concept?

Not that the other groups wouldn't have the right to be outraged if Bennett had used them.

Hypothetical or not, disclaimers of "of course it would be reprehensible" or not, the statement was a loathesome way to make a point.

It might be somewhat worse for blacks, considering their unique history, but to make such a comment about any group is beyond the realm of acceptable public discourse. I would be against any laws making such a comment illegal, but I would expect Bennett to be bounced from whatever station he broadcasts from.
0 Replies