Kicky's movie review: Broken Flowers--what a piece of ****.

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 09:43 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Lightwizard wrote:
If "Broken Flowers" when completely over one's head I could understand why they would write a review that can't actually point out what is bad or good about the film but just simply call it a piece of ****. The review is a piece of ****.

I envision you sipping brandy (pinky out, of course) and sticking your nose way up in the air whilst wearing a smoking jacket when you say that.

BTW: You usually indicate what some professional reviewer has had to say on the subject, as proof that the A2K critic must not know what he's talking about. You're slipping.

Sorry, don't drink brandy in the morning but the Pete's coffee sure is good.

If the reviewer had actually wrote an objective, intelligent review and pointed out what was wrong with a movie I might post a professional reviewer's essay which disagrees. There's nothing here to agree nor disagree with. It's a moot review.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 10:25 am
It's still a piece of ****.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 10:25 am
Why sugarcoat it?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 10:26 am
It's a piece of ****.
0 Replies

kickycan

Simple, to the point. Sometimes that's all a review needs to be.
0 Replies

kickycan

It's a piece of ****.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 10:31 am
Really.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 11:02 am
I liked your review, Kicky. I, too, will not waste my money on this piece of **** movie.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 11:09 am
kickycan wrote:
It's a piece of ****.

Such sublime, non-nuanced, critical assessment ... I think I'll take your word for it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 11:37 am
Your loss.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 11:39 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Your loss.

I'll take your word for it.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 12:52 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 04:00 pm
I see you have a preference for lame comedies.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 05:03 pm
kicky-I rented Life Aquatic. WAited for something to happen, and when it did, I said "why wasnt I doing something more rewarding with my remaining time"

Murray is just too busy taking the edge off with whatever is his chemistry of choice.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 05:50 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
I see you have a preference for lame comedies.

...the old Pink Panther movies with Peter Seller get me every time.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 07:21 pm
"Shot In the Dark" and the first "Pink Panther," but downhill from there. "Victor Victoria' was on HD channcel INHD last week. Extremely funny -- espcially Robert Preston as the "Spanish lady."
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 05:37 pm
Marty DiBergi wrote:
The review for "Shark Sandwich" was merely a two word review which simply read "**** Sandwich".
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 05:41 pm
Heh Kicky, I was just writing about this movie on the Movie Journal thread. Saw it yesterday (its Jim Jarmusch week). Didnt like it at all, tho probably for different reasons than you (I'm normally a big fan of Jarmusch films). Here's what I wrote (its all serious and ****, too):

nimh wrote:
Saw Night on Earth tonight. Hadnt seen it yet, it was for me the missing link between Mystery Train, which I loved, and Dead Man, which I yawned at, so I'd been curious about it.

It was cute enough, nice, funny, quirky. Clearly a transition kind of film: more happening, more comic distraction, fuller focus on the actors, than in Mystery Train or Stranger than Paradise. Cute, it was, of a human scale, but I dont know how much I'll remember.

Yesterday meanwhile I got to see Broken Flowers, his newest, which for Hungary was an avant-premiere.

Ack. Sorry to have taken Esther to go see it. What a boring, nothingish movie. No spice no taste. Just drags on, to eventually yield what are at best dime-store philosophies.

Little particularly Jarmuschesque about it, either. Its like all his authentic spirit got diluted along the way. Instead of the lovingly observing camera, quirky stories and just slightly off-kilter amblingness of early films, this was equally slow but soulless, inspirationless and bland.

I was thinking about what that's all about, cause I had the same with Wenders. I loved the films of his from the seventies that I saw (Alice in den Städten, Im Lauf der Zeit). What I liked about them was their gentle observantness, keen eye and small stories, the pleasant moodiness of it. I loved Himmel über Berlin too and Paris, Texas was one of its kind.

But later I saw The End of Violence, and it was just ... vacuous. It was meant to be vacuous, I suppose, to reflect the oppressive emptiness of, I dunno, modern life or something, but even then it was, like, top-heavy in intentions and anemic in soul and body. Like it never got beyond the idea, like nobody put their heart in it.

Not to mention Beyond the Clouds, which he did just prior to that with Antonioni, and which was just creepy. It just oozed the suggestion of old directors, all full of themselves, spoiled but empty-hearted, who indulge in stuffing a film full of beautiful women and "oh-thats-so-deep" philosophies and expect to be feted for it.

Anyway. (Sorry, got a bit carried away there). Broken Flowers reminded me of The End of Violence. Meant, I suppose, as a Lost in Translation-like tale of a man of middle age facing the emptiness of his life and having something happen to him that puts it all in a new light. But while Lost in Translation was itense, this was vacant. And there was no new light, really, either. Perhaps that was the point. But if the point was dreariness, then all the pretty actresses and slick design prevented it from getting that across, kinda.

Is that perhaps the price directors like that might pay for getting rich and famous? That the change of lifestyle that comes with that, robs them of the inspiration or empathy, and the movies become as bland as Beverly Hills life must be? Or something? <shrugs>
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 08:28 pm
nimh: I like your review, but give the nod to kicky for succinctness.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 08:52 pm
Did you mean suckiness?
0 Replies