Kicky's movie review: Broken Flowers--what a piece of ****.

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 07:05 pm
I knew I was taking a chance going to this movie. And halfway through it, I was still thinking, "I have a feeling this is not going to have a payoff..." and unfortunately, I was right.

Why do movies like this get such high praise from critics? Is it because there is so little actually happening on screen that it gives them time to write their whole review while they are actually sitting there watching the stupid thing? "The brilliance of restraint," or the "value of sparsity and subtle nuance in film"--what a bunch of horseshit.

Now I am not one to **** all over a movie just because it happens to be more cerebral than action-packed, but this movie didn't even make me think. It was one of those movies where some stuff happens that you think might be interesting if expanded on, but you never get an answer as to why anything happens or doesn't happen, and in the end nothing is resolved, no insight has been given, and no amount of thinking about it will ever get you back those two hours you just wasted. It's the exact opposite of entertainment.

So in summation, if you value your time, don't see this piece of ****.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,562 • Replies: 61
No top replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 07:11 pm
I can't believe you went to a movie called, "Broken Flowers." What the hell were you thinking?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 07:14 pm
I don't know. I like Bill Murray, and I thought I'd take a shot. Ten bucks down the crapper.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 07:17 pm
Thanks for the critique kicky…I wasn't planning on seeing this one anyway…at least not until it comes out on video.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 07:19 pm
You're welcome. Glad I could at least use these two hours of my wasted time to help others to avoid this garbage.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 07:20 pm
I'm someone who couldn't watch Groundhog Day, or whatever the name was... not, I gather, the general audience reaction.

Some movies I'd rather just read the reviews of and call it a day..
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 07:20 pm
From the reviews I've read, it sounds like strictly a "woman's movie." No wonder you didn't like it, Kicky.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 07:22 pm
I liked Groundhog Day. Not as much as some, but I thought it was at least somewhat entertaining.

Merry Andrew, if this is what women like, then it's no wonder I don't have a f*cking clue what they are thinking.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 07:47 pm
Whatever. I dug it. The kid at the end. Funny ****.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 07:49 pm
Huh? What was funny about the kid at the end? You mean the kid in the car that drove by, right?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 07:52 pm
Bill Murray has been phoning in his roles from the comfort zone afforded him by huge quantities of antidepressants. Hes almost a zombie. His last movies , starting with that POS where he was in Tokyo have sucked very big ones.

Of coursen , I should talk, we just ordered the giant 3 disc set of all time great Horror classics like'"The beast with 4 eyes" "Dracula does Dallas"'Valley of Gwangi" THEM,etc etc.

All the greats. Its about 5 days of strait knuckle biting horror.
I cant wait
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 07:59 pm
The kid he bought the food for.

I like laughing at other people's awkwardness, though, so maybe that's it.

But, then, I didn't walk out on Freddy Got Fingered.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 08:06 pm
Oh, THAT kid. Hmmm...trying to think what was funny about him...hmmmm...strange how I always think your posts are funny/entertaining/interesting, yet I don't see the humor here...weird how senses of humor work, huh?

I agree with you about Bill, Farmerman. Although I somewhat didn't hate "The Life Aquatic".
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 08:19 pm
Loved Life Aquatic. But the numb acting was appropriate there. Worked in Rushmore, too, for that matter. And in Lost in Translation, though I just like the flashing Tokyo lights there. (Scarlett Johanssen? She seems like she'd be fun to have a late night session with, but not especially talented or attractive.)

I dunno, tho. Can appreciate that nothing actually happened in Broken Flowers, but I didn't mind that. Maybe it's just refreshing after movie after movie that tries to cram a whole bunch of crap into a hundred minutes, all of it garbage, and I've got to sit through a bunch of identical trailers and insidious product advertisements to get to the damn movie, that when a movie comes along that is spare, open, I dig it.

Thought the woman from Six Feet Under and Shooter McGavin were pretty damn funny too, for that matter. And the "talks to animals" lady.

Different strokes.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 08:55 pm
So you thought it sucked? You also thought Office Space sucked...maybe I'll have to go see "Broken Flowers."

Actually, I still have to see 40 Year Old Virgin(the documentary on Kicky) and Wedding Crashers. I just don't get to the movies much.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 08:59 pm
Trust me, Slappy, you wouldn't like it.

Oh, and although the 40 year old virgin is pretty good, Wedding Crashers is waaaaay funnier.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:00 pm
Don't drop theater money on Wedding Crashers. It'll be on STARZ thirty times a week by Christmas.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:01 pm
Oh my god, patiodog! Don't tell me you didn't like Wedding Crashers!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:01 pm
Kicky, you thought Office Space sucked? I never did hear your review.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:03 pm
Wedding Crashers and Forty Year Old Virgin are available on those $2 DVD's you can find in most Chinatowns.
0 Replies