Kicky's movie review: Broken Flowers--what a piece of ****.

kickycan

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:04 pm
Actually, Slappy's exaggerating. I didn't think it sucked, I just didn't think it lived up to the hype. It was funny, just not really funny. I'd give it a 6 or 7 on a scale of 1-10.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:07 pm
kickycan wrote:
Oh my god, patiodog! Don't tell me you didn't like Wedding Crashers!

Nothing to write home about. Some funny bits. Lost momentum with about 40 minutes to go I thought.

Office Space continues to kill me, though.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:08 pm
Ehbeth, the only problem with those is the quality. They're bootlegs of people videotaping the movie. I own some of those Chinatown DVDs...actually, one I have isn't that bad, but the others suck.

Kicky, that's the problem with comedies. People hear all the hype, and when they finally see it they're disappointed.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:12 pm
You must have some bad luck, Slappy.
The Chinatown DVD's we're getting here are nice and clean.
Supposedly most of them are industry pre-release copies, re-copied of course.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:13 pm
patiodog wrote:
kickycan wrote:
Oh my god, patiodog! Don't tell me you didn't like Wedding Crashers!

Nothing to write home about. Some funny bits. Lost momentum with about 40 minutes to go I thought.

Office Space continues to kill me, though.

Hmmm...I thought it was the funniest movie I've seen all year. Definitely funnier than the 40 year old virgin.

The high praise given to Office Space continues to be a complete mystery to me. I think it is so loved because the subject is something that so many people can relate to.

Aaah well, you've got your thing, I've got mine.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:14 pm
ehBeth wrote:
You must have some bad luck, Slappy.
The Chinatown DVD's we're getting here are nice and clean.
Supposedly most of them are industry pre-release copies, re-copied of course.

Damn, well where I used to work this Chinese guy would swing by every other week with bootleg cds, dvds, fake watches, ect. The dvds were all crappy copies. I'd love to buy pre-releases cheap though.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:23 pm
Why?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:26 pm
Quote:
The high praise given to Office Space continues to be a complete mystery to me. I think it is so loved because the subject is something that so many people can relate to.

Yep.

The last office job I had I kicked a hole in the wall in my office out of sheer frustration -- and because I could. Stuck a trash can in front of it, patched it up before I left so they wouldn't come after me. Office Space came out while I worked there. It... spoke to me.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:30 pm
Ha! The part where they went out in the field and beat the **** out of the copier spoke to me. Cathartic appeal, definitely.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:41 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Why?

Why would I like to buy pre-releases? Well if they're $2, they're cheap. Cheap is good.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:42 pm
"We're going to federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison."
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:48 pm
patiodog wrote:
"We're going to federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison."

Laughing

[i]Samir[/i]: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Samir Na-gheen-an-a-jar. Nagheenanajar. [i]Michael Bolton[/i]: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton. [i]Samir[/i]: You know there's nothing wrong with that name. [i]Michael Bolton[/i]: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. [i]Samir[/i]: Hmm... well why don't you just go by Mike instead of Michael? [i]Michael Bolton[/i]: No way. Why should I change? He's the one who sucks.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:50 pm
Slappy, I come from a film family. Some of the family that disappeared from my young life due to, heh, boston irish grudge holding, were fairly high up in finance in different film companies. And my dad and my ex struggled to get stuff going for decades, as did many other people I know in the LA area, but also dreamers here and there, even New York and Boston. Most folks are pretty damn happy if they get something filmed even if it only goes to video, dvd.

So, I see you, not as you so much, but an a person earning quite well, who wants to get cheap stuff pre video release.
From my view that is both real, I'm not arguing with it, but very depressing.

Not all people who don't get stuff on are losers, that's an easy label that doesn't fit many.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:56 pm
Osso, I'm having a hard time following your post...maybe because I'm tired. I'm not sure where you're going about people trying to get films made.

So are you saying it's sad people who earn well want to buy bootlegs?

Sorry, just not sure what you mean, or what the connection is.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 10:02 pm
I realize that was out of left field, and I don't blame you who I presume earn well for buying bootlegs - there wasn't a punch behind the question. Just wondering.

I admit to sensitivity. Picture you and Kicky spending vasts amounts of time for the next six years writing screenplays, and some almost make it, oh, three times, enough so you keep doing it, and one gets filmed with most of any money to you being on the video end of it, and then you see it on the street where you live before the one you get a part of comes out...

I know it's a tangent to the thread, it was a simple why, and I guess I knew the answer.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 10:06 pm
That is, after Kicky takes his screenwriting course sequence at NYU...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 10:07 pm
I hear you. It's like ripping off music.

I was talking more along the lines of blockbusters. If I saw a copy of Wedding Crashers for a couple bucks, I'd buy it. I probably wouldn't buy a bootleg of a movie I never heard of.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 10:14 pm
Understand.

Now, picturing a screenplay by Kicky and you. Actually I can't... I'd rather see two screenplays.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 09:21 am
If "Broken Flowers" when completely over one's head I could understand why they would write a review that can't actually point out what is bad or good about the film but just simply call it a piece of ****. The review is a piece of ****. (Don't give up your day job).
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 09:26 am
Lightwizard wrote:
If "Broken Flowers" when completely over one's head I could understand why they would write a review that can't actually point out what is bad or good about the film but just simply call it a piece of ****. The review is a piece of ****.

I envision you sipping brandy (pinky out, of course) and sticking your nose way up in the air whilst wearing a smoking jacket when you say that.

BTW: You usually indicate what some professional reviewer has had to say on the subject, as proof that the A2K critic must not know what he's talking about. You're slipping.
0 Replies