National Guard sent to protect oil, not people

Zippo

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 03:14 am
Tuesday, September 27, 2005

STACY BANNERMAN
GUEST COLUMNIST

Hurricane Katrina blew apart President Bush's rickety arguments about how invading Iraq would make us safe.

We don't know Hurricane Katrina's death toll, or how many Americans might have lived had the thousands of National Guard troops trained to help in the wake of hurricanes and floods not been protecting oil in the desert.

But we know 35 percent of Louisiana's and 40 percent of Mississippi's National Guard troops were in Iraq while their towns were leveled. National Guard officers repeatedly had warned officials about the catastrophic impact of having so many Guardsmen deployed in the event of a major natural disaster.

More soldiers and equipment are now stateside. But hundreds of high-water vehicles, humvees, refuelers and generators the Gulf Coast desperately needs remain overseas. Not only Gulf Coast residents are in jeopardy; the Iraq war endangers the nation.

More than a third of the U.S. soldiers based in Iraq belong to the Reserves or National Guard. Weekend warriors intended to supplement full-time active duty troops now fight for 14 months on average. But most are still treated like part-timers, and prepped and outfitted for combat accordingly. New equipment goes to the Army while Guardsmen and Reservists get hand-me-downs. This bodes badly for part-time soldiers who have become a major fighting force in Iraq.

August was the deadliest month for citizen soldiers. Five Pennsylvania Guardsmen died when the second-class humvee they were in was blown up. They had requested permission to use some of the 12 brand new, fully up-armored vehicles issued to a nearby active duty unit. The request was denied. The trucks stood idle when the Guardsmen died.

A total of 46 National Guard and Reserve soldiers were killed in August, more than half the 83 troop deaths. The disproportionately high -- and rising -- casualty rates of citizen soldiers are part of a trend. Pentagon statistics released at the end of 2004 showed losses sustained by Army National Guard soldiers in Iraq were 35 percent higher than that of regular enlisted. The elevated mortality rate of citizen soldiers is unparalleled. Of the 58,209 U.S. deaths in Vietnam, 94 were Guardsmen, and none were killed in the Persian Gulf War, USA Today has reported.

Long, hazardous duty is one reason why Army National Guard and Army Reserve recruitment numbers are off by 23 percent and 20 percent, respectively. In the first half of 2005, the Seattle Army Reserve office missed its target of about 100 recruits by 75 percent. Oregon recruitment is down 40 percent. Several battalions have lost more than half their members. One Reserve unit saw 70 percent of its members leave within a few months of coming home.

Half the soldiers leaving active duty service have traditionally joined the Guard, but since that likely means a quick trip back to Iraq, the number has dropped to about 35 percent. With so many first responders in Iraq, we have fewer first responders -- fire, police and emergency medical technicians -- in our communities.

While the Guard and Reserve are particularly hard hit, our entire country is suffering from the Iraq war. Rep. Michael McNulty, D-N.Y., recently noted that more than 16,000 U.S. troops have been killed or wounded in Iraq, and that the government has spent more than $200 billion on the war so far, saying, "The war has been a tremendous failure by both measures." He was announcing his support for legislation to require that U.S. troops begin their withdrawal from Iraq by October 2006.

It's time we add Homeland Security to the growing list of casualties of the war in Iraq.

settlepi

How many people in here knew about the 16,000 figure ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 602 • Replies: 13
No top replies

spendius

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 05:48 am
I did Zippo.

A bit patronising is that lot.Where do you get the arrogance from to draw these quick and easy caricatures.
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 06:58 am
spendius wrote:
I did Zippo.

A bit patronising is that lot.Where do you get the arrogance from to draw these quick and easy caricatures.

Where exactly did i exaggerate or distort anything ?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 07:17 am
You give the impression that the space you inhabit is of an equal or greater size than the space the military establishment occupies and that the space occupied by each member of that establishment is about the same as a grain of the flour in your cupboard.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 07:23 am
16,000 dead young Americans? Yea but look how much Halliburtons stock has gone up and all the contracts they gotten out of the deal. By the time the new massive generation of terrorist strike back Bush and his buddies will be off on private jets (running like they did in Vietnam) counting the money with there Saudi partners. Well be left behind. Left and Right wing.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 07:27 am
There is a reason the columnist is a guest. It could not be hired!

What did this idiot want the National Guard to do? Lay in front of the levvee's so they don't break?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 07:33 am
There was a time to fix those levee's and that time passed. How much will it cost now. Is this an example of conservatism? By all the defence of it I see it must be.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 07:38 am
Amigo wrote:
There was a time to fix those levee's and that time passed. How much will it cost now. Is this an example of conservatism? By all the defence of it I see it must be.

And when was that time?

Did that time just arrive or was that time here for the past 25 years and no-one at the local or federal level did ANYTHING about it?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 08:06 am
woiyo wrote:
Amigo wrote:

And when was that time?

Did that time just arrive or was that time here for the past 25 years and no-one at the local or federal level did ANYTHING about it?
I'm not doing your homework for you buddy. The info is at your finger tips. It just depends on what you want to find and what you want to believe.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 08:10 am
Amigo wrote:
woiyo wrote:
Amigo wrote:

And when was that time?

I'm not doing your homework for you buddy. The info is at your finger tips. It just depends on what you want to find and what you want to believe.

Nice try. You have no answer as the real answer is the US knew about those problems woith the levvees for 25 years and no one did anything.

So if it makes you feel better to blame only GW, go ahead.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 10:15 am
woiyo wrote:
Amigo wrote:
woiyo wrote:
Amigo wrote:

And when was that time?

Nice try. You have no answer as the real answer is the US knew about those problems with the levees for 25 years and no one did anything.

So if it makes you feel better to blame only GW, go ahead.
How many Administrations cut funding for the levees in the last 25 years? when where the levees in worse shape now or 25 years ago? How many new reports had come out about the levees as of 8 years ago."They did it to.So it's not my fault either" is a childs rational. It is also the most used defence of the right wing. What would happen to you at work if every time you f'up you told your boss "He did it to. It's not my fault."
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 10:22 am
Amigo wrote:
woiyo wrote:
Amigo wrote:

And when was that time?

I believe it was a lawsuit from the Sierra club that halted improvements on the levees.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 10:30 am
2000 The Senate approved a $21.1 billion spending bill for energy and water projects that increased funding for Louisiana flood-control projects. The bill (passing 93-1) allocated $69 million for southeast Louisiana flood-control projects, $22 million more than proposed by President Clinton. The bill also allocated $42.5 million for construction of levees in Mississippi. Opponents of the bill included residents who live near the construction site feared the disruption of such a massive project. Environmentalists and the group Taxpayers for Common Sense, vowed to continue their fight to block construction. =============================================== Overall, the current levee projects are still delayed after nearly 10 years due to lawsuits filed by the same environmental groups that effectively ended the Pontchartrain Hurricane Barrier Project in 1977. Now, the political partisans are pointing their fingers in the wrong direction. The environmental groups, using provisions in the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) to their advantage, managed to halt the progress of the Corps for forty years (40). One can only wonder if the corps projects would have saved New Orleans or lessened the effects of this tragedy. Hopefully, state officials and activist judges will learn from their deadly mistakes and begin to make choices to protect American citizens before protecting the preferences of the environmental lobby. When it comes to people versus birds, bees and bicycle paths, people must be given preference. Environmentalists don't understand this. I'm sure a lot of environmentally minded people lost their homes to Katrina. Wonder what they're thinking now, about their past conduct in crippling the Corps' ability to protect their homes. Poetic justice. Read the home page of the World Association of International Studies (WAIS) by simply double-clicking on: http://wais.stanford.edu/ Please inform us of any change of e-mail address.

http://cgi.stanford.edu/group/wais/cgi-bin/index.php?p=1600
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 10:52 am
Wouldn't it be nice if I could take your word on this then we could continue our discussion. Maybe make progress. But the right wing has destroyed their credibility. Their word means nothing to me or a large part of America. Time after time I have come to find out they lied or misrepresented information. Why? And if you were right and envirmental groups were responsible why shouldn't I do what the right wing does and deny it, lie, slander, hide information and make s**t up. anything to avoid accountability and responsibility. It's sad but true. The right wing lies to America every chance they can get away with it.
0 Replies