The Amazing Race--Family Version

Roberta

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 10:52 pm
The show is off to an intense start. And it's a bit of a surprise that the race is still in the US.

I was sorry to see the Black family get eliminated. I hope those two boys know what wonderful, supportive, caring parents they have, especially the father.

I'm already disliking some folks. "The man is the authority" family from the south is not one of my favs. Nor is the family with the crabby teens and crabby mother. Not thrilled with the runners' bratty kids.

I'm intrigued by the man racing with his sons-in-law. I like the recently widowed mother and her kids. The father and his three daughters are also appealing (so far).

I nearly fell over in a dead faint when I saw people helping other people. That won't last.

It's too soon for me to remember names. Sorry.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,012 • Replies: 48
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 10:37 am
I also was sorry to see them leave, they seem like a very good positive family, however, in this game they were pretty bad. They had no sense of urgency whatsoever. I mean you need to keep your head, but you also have to hurry.

The New Yorkers (although they make me laugh) are just a bunch of obnoxious people. And how stupid - they are from New York and they come in last place in New York.

My two favorites are the man with the sons-in-law and the family with the two little children. How great is that - you have two little kids and you come in second. It was so cute too the way the little girl was so encouraging and positive to her parents.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 10:45 am
I was a bit disappointed to see the format change from teams of two to teams of four, and to include kids. But having seen the first episode last night I enjoyed it. I did like the parents who pulled the buggy and the kids supporting them and whooping and singing from inside. Very positive impression from them all. I was sad to see the Black family leave but agree they were a little too slow in the race. I detest the New York family with the bratty whiney sons and the mother who is not at all suitable for a show of this type. I can imagine her cooking and yapping but not doing anything as physical as racing around the world! Yikes, if they hang around for any length of time it will be pure luck.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 11:46 am
Okay, I'm going to try to stop thinking of the two kids as bratty. I'll reserve judgment.

I assume that we all recognized the two hotdog vendors as the Noo Yawkers from an earlier race.

BTW, 91st between Park and Lexington is a couple of blocks from where I live. Never thought I'd see my neck of the woods on the Amazing Race. It made me smile.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 11:46 am
Okay, I'm going to try to stop thinking of the two kids as bratty. I'll reserve judgment.

I assume that we all recognized the two hotdog vendors as the Noo Yawkers from an earlier race.

BTW, 91st between Park and Lexington is a couple of blocks from where I live. Never thought I'd see my neck of the woods on the Amazing Race. It made me smile.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 11:47 am

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 12:11 pm
Jeepers Roberta - you must feel very strongly about those kids!
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 01:30 pm
The youngest Black family member couldn't row the boat across the Delaware. He whined that he couldn't do it. With the swift current, it was a difficult and dangerous task for the adults. He also fell at the stream when he was attempting to get water to complete the "build it" detour. He cried out for help and his dad ran to his aid.

I was glad they were eliminated because I didn't want to continue watching those children placed at risk in dangerous racing conditions.

I was afraid for the safety of all the children on this leg of the race. The Amazing Race is difficult and dangerous for adults--why would any sane person drag children along? Why would the television network place the safety of children in jeopardy?

It was frightening when the widow was run over by the brakeless buggy. She emerged from under the buggy unharmed, yet the mishap scared her children (and the television audience). The dad was killed when he was hit by a race car--it would have been tragic irony for the mother to also be killed in a race.

The race is far too stressful for the frumpy mom and her mouthy, disrespectful sons (the Paolos family). This team was falling apart at the seams right from the beginning--it's like watching a train wreck that never ends. Dysfunctional is an understatement when describing this family.

The little girl in the family that came in second seems exceptionally bright. The mom pulled that buggy the entire way without a complaint while the kids sang, "The old gray mare, she ain't what she used to be . . . " The mom was an exhausted sweaty mess at the end of the detour, but she kept a pleasant demeanor.

The team of women (sisters?) that came in first was the loudest, irritating scream team in the whole bunch. I suspect their loud screaming will get more irritating as the race progresses. Nice prize for coming in first on this leg: $20,000.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 03:36 pm
Echoing Debra's fear for the kids.

Of course the biggest danger is that the youger Paolo boy will die of
embarrassment over his Mama & Papa. Mama & Papa Paolo are
becoming my absolute favorites. What a pair! Notice that Papa seems to
be on cruise control in his own little world. I suspect that's a technique he
has honed all through his marriage.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 11:07 pm
LOL George.

Ignorance (or willful blindness) is bliss.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 08:20 am
...or survival!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 10:23 am
I had that same thought. He probably says "Yes, Dear" more often than any other words.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 11:17 am
When the teams were first introduced, I looked at the team of three
brothers and a sister and said: my money is on them. All three young
and athletic, they should breeze through.

After the first leg, I don't think so anymore.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 11:41 am
Was it my imagination or did the sister and younger brother sit in the buggy the entire time? Why didn't they get out and take a turn when the other two brothers were winded and being overtaken by the parents and the two kids? Then the younger brother pukes?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 11:46 am
Sorry about the multiple posts. If I could figure out how to do it, I'd delete two of them.

You're right, Debra, about the safety of the kids. I also thought it was devastating for them to have lost. More so than for adults. In previous races, there have been some dangerous activities--more so than the boat on the Delaware. I hope that the two remaining children will remain safe.

Mr. Paolo (sp?) has found a means of survival. Tune out. Seems to be working.

Heeven, I had the same thought. I surmised that the two in the buggy may not have understood that they were allowed to switch places. Maybe they thought that they had to stay put.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 12:24 pm
Heeven - the brother sitting in the carriage kept asking to help out - neither of the other brothers would give up. Finally he did jump out and push - never saw the sister do it though
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:00 am
So the race is still in the good ole US of A. Maybe they'll race across the country.

The mother of the Italian family is a nightmare. Yes, the son should have gotten gas when they had the chance. How many times did she have to say it? Did anyone notice that the younger son was wearing earplugs? Another survivor! Takes after his father. Despite my dislike for that woman, I have to give credit where credit is due. She said she couldn't carry the wounded in the battle. But she managed.

I tried to keep an open mind toward the family with the kids. Not working. I don't like them. What can I tell ya? I thought they were going to take up residence at the wrong reflecting pool. Also have to give credit where credit is due. The four of them made up for lost time and all did a good job at the battle site. Still don't like 'em.

Not crazy about the screaming sisters either.

I really like the father-in-law with the sons-in-law. Also like the father and daughters.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 10:49 am
I also like the father-in-law with the sons. But I do like the family with the young kids. Even though they made a very bad mistake, they still ending doing well. How the h*ll did they manage to carry all those "dead" soldiers when teams of adults and/or teenage kids were struggling? I was very surprised they opted for the physical choice, but it worked for them.

The annoying family's dad did finally impress me a bit, when he told his nagging wife to basically s*cked it up and finish. That shut her up (at least for a minute).
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 02:16 am
I was sorry to see the father-in-law and the three sons-in-law go.

I was stunned to see that the family with the two young children (sorry, I can't remember names) allowed the young boy to be one of the people spinning in the Gravity machine. Aren't there laws against that sort of thing?

I don't know whether it's the family element, the domestic element, or some other element, but I'm not enjoying the show this year as much as I have in the past.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 06:05 am
Are they staying in the U.S. for the whole race?
0 Replies