Since when is the customer always WRONG?

sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 07:52 am
I like Kicky's accountability thing, but I think this is a huge part of it:

BorisKitten wrote:
New employees are almost always more patient than the old timers, in my opinion.

I've been in a few customer service situations, and the problem is, there are inevitably obnoxious asshole customers who have totally unrealistic expectations and think nothing of treating you like a piece of crap. So even if you start out nice and helpful, enough of those and it's a superhuman effort not to hurl it right back.

It's kind of like traffic in L.A. People arrive and have to deal with the crazy drivers -- if they stay nice and sane and signally they are crushed. So they adapt and become as crazy.

So, all of society is less accommodating, less connected, more entitled, and it all feeds on each other. The customer is dissed enough times and feels justified in being mean to the next customer service person they see; the customer service person is dissed enough times and feels justified in being mean to the next customer they see; and on it goes.

In terms of "less connected", when there was just one hardware store and if you wanted a wing nut, that's where you had to go or else drive for a few hours, customers had more invested in making sure the hardware store guy would let 'em come back. Now, if you have a blow-out with the hardware store guy, either a) you just have to go back at another shift and he won't be there, or b), if you're really paranoid, just go to another hardware store, one of the 20 within 5 square miles.
0 Replies

joseph71

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 05:51 pm
try homedepot
Try the home depo store here in alhambra, california it stinks. I went in one evening and could'nt find anyone to help us. Finally someone at the front desk said the workers are at meal break..sure enough looking into the break room I see everyone eating their dinner.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 07:01 pm
No worse than going to the bank in your lunch hour to find 2 tellers on and the rest have gone for their lunch...and you are stuck in line with half the country in front of you!
0 Replies