Evolution of Emotional Pairs

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 11:56 am
Did each emotion in the animal barin evolve for a reason, or did some emotions result from the birth of another.

For example, fear could have evolved to make us cautious which protects us. But did feelings of comfort and security evolve just for pleasure, or did we realize them only because we had fear to compare them to?

I'm wondering if every emotion has an evolutionary backing to it, or if only some emotions were selected for, and others came about simply because we "realized" them in comparison to the other.

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 11:59 am
I'm wondering if there truly are the many emotions we seem to suppose there are.

Fact is...that many seem so related, I wonder if they truly are separate emotions...or merely the same emotion called different things because of the circumstances under which we experience them.

And...I wonder if an emotion is actually something so nebulous as many of us suppose...or if it is actually just chemical reactions in the body...being interpreted and given a name (emotion, fear, etc)...because of the circumstances under which we experience them.

I'm gonna comment on this in a bit...but I'd really like others to get a chance to comment first.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 12:05 pm
Re: Evolution of Emotional Pairs
rosborne979 wrote:
I'm wondering if every emotion has an evolutionary backing to it, or if only some emotions were selected for, and others came about simply because we "realized" them in comparison to the other.

That is a good question but I have no idea how we would find out. If a collection of species with the same common ancestor exhibit the same emotion it is a good bet that the common ancestor had that emotion but beyond that it is all speculation.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 02:25 pm
Re: Evolution of Emotional Pairs
rosborne979 wrote:
Did each emotion in the animal barin evolve for a reason, or did some emotions result from the birth of another.

For example, fear could have evolved to make us cautious which protects us. But did feelings of comfort and security evolve just for pleasure, or did we realize them only because we had fear to compare them to?

Where is 'in' the brain?
How does the brain tell us where, and what, an emotion is?
Why would matter want to evolve to serve consciousness?
How can "fear" move or affect matter?
What sort of 'forcing' is it when fear 'forces' us to be cautious?
How do you possess an emotion?
How does an emotion come into existence by 'realizing' one?
How do arbitrarily constructed linguistic conveniences (such as the term of reference 'emotion') become things that exist?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 06:34 am
There is only one emotion, and that is love. Love for self, boosted by a hefty dose of ignorance, can manifest as hate towards everything that is seen as a threat.

Our feelings and thoughts are the life force, defragmented and re-assembled by the fibre of our being.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 12:34 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
There is only one emotion, and that is love. Love for self, boosted by a hefty dose of ignorance, can manifest as hate towards everything that is seen as a threat.

Our feelings and thoughts are the life force, defragmented and re-assembled by the fibre of our being.

My guess is similar to yours Cyracuz...with one (what may be a minor) exception.

I think the only emotion is fear!

Love (or contentment) is simply its absence.

And I think (guess)...that depending upon the circumstances surrounding our feeling the emotion of fear...we describe it differently.

When we feel fear under certain circumstances...we call it fear.

Under other circumtances, we call it embarrassment...

...or anger...

...or depression, etc.

Its lack...the lack of fear...is love...or contentment.

Not going to make a huge case for this...but I am putting it out for consideration.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 04:05 am
I've thought of that, of putting fear as the number one motivator. But to me it doesn't make sense. I see fear as a perverted notion of love. It is the feeling one gets whenever something one loves is threatened, be it the children, wealth, lifestyle or self.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 02:01 pm
@Cyracuz,
Quote:

Fear is a much simpler emotion, and I can see it developing rather quickly as a defense mechanism. For love to evolve it presupposes the need for a bond of some type. Mammals need bonds, reptiles don't. But reptiles still need fear.

0 Replies