For New York City

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 08:39 am
Yes it is, especially if you cannot set up a printing area in your home or studio.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 12:59 pm
The Guggenheim Russian Exhibit:

http://www.guggenheimlasvegas.org/index.html
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 02:14 pm
That's the one we're hoping to see at the end of next week.
Next week!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 07:48 am
I'm hoping to catch the Van Gogh exhibit at the Met next month.
How congested is the city during the NY Marathon? I'll be there that weekend and altho' I wouldn't mind skimming it, I don't want to get caught up or trapped in it. Is it easy to avoid?
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 08:14 am
I would imagine the most congested day is the day of the marathon (for the marathon). But, many people come from out of town to see these special events, and we will have many tourists in subways, museums, parks before, and after the marathon. Check in advance for hotel reservations if your not staying with friends.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 09:51 am
Thanks!

Tell me this...our hotel is in the Wall St. area. Would it make more sense (and be less costly) to fly into Newark and cab into the city rather than fly into LaGuardia or Kennedy and cab it? Seems like Newark would be closer.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 10:11 am
eoe wrote:
Thanks!

Tell me this...our hotel is in the Wall St. area. Would it make more sense (and be less costly) to fly into Newark and cab into the city rather than fly into LaGuardia or Kennedy and cab it? Seems like Newark would be closer.

So sorry I can't help you there. Someone in the airport that deals with transportation might be able to give you better advice. Call them and ask before you leave.

Best of luck. Smile
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 12:03 pm
NEXT Wednesday!

October 19th, 2005, 7PM

REBELARTE
Lecture at Lehman College, Bronx, NY
Yasmin Hernandez speaks on the development of cultural and artistic manifestations of resistance in Puerto Rico, New York and beyond and how these legaices tie into her present-day work as a painter and activist.
Lehman College: Gillet Auditorium
250 Bedford Park Boulevard
(#4 or D train to Beford Park Boulevard)

THEN....

Saturday, November 5th, 2005

4-6 PM

Unveiling Reception for the complete Soul Rebels installation at El Museo del Barrio's lobby

Soul Rebels, by Yasmin Hernandez, is a portrait and workshop series paying homage to musicians and poets who have used their art to combat injustice. For more information visit www.yasminhernandez.com.

Yasmin Hernandez, Visual Artist
www.yasminhernandez.comhttp://www.yasminhernandez.com./images/soul%20rebels/lionized.jpg
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 12:27 pm
http://img429.imageshack.us/img429/9653/papoletopietri3ha.jpgAnother painting by Jasmin Hernandez
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 06:44 am
Poetry collection about New York City poverty wins $25,000 prize

November 1, 2005, 2:08 PM EST

NEW YORK (AP) _ Anne Winters' "The Displaced of Capital," a collection about poverty and working-class life in New York City, has won the $25,000 Lenore Marshall Prize for the year's best poetry book.

"Vivid and reflective, documentary and visionary, re-imagining the city of New York with the same urgency that ponders the opening words of Genesis, this is a passionate, artful and re-readable book," prize judge Robert Pinsky, a former U.S. poet laureate, said Tuesday.

"The Displaced of Capital" is a follow up to "The Key to the City," published in 1986 and a finalist for the National Book Critics Circle Prize. The Marshall prize was founded in 1975 and is co-sponsored by the Academy of American Poets and The Nation magazine, where excerpts of Winters' work will appear.

Previous winners include Pinsky, Adrienne Rich and John Ashbery.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newyork/ny-bc-ny--books-marshallpri1101nov01,0,6314629.story?coll=ny-region-apnewyork
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 06:30 am
http://www.hardrock.com/promo/Garcia/images/J.GarciaMainGraphic.jpg

Original pieces of Jerry Garcia artwork will be on display in 7 select Hard Rock Cafes for one week from August to November 2005. The art tour is in support of Hard Rock Cafe's relationship with Jerry Garcia wines.

Jerry Garcia had the rare ability to write songs that connect with people in a very personal way. But perhaps his greatest talent was the ability to strike a chord without playing a note. Don't miss the Jerry Garcia Art Tour at Hard Rock Cafe's in San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Orlando, Hollywood FL, New York and Chicago. There will be 12 pieces of art on display featuring original drawings and paintings signed by the great Jerry Garcia. After the tour, the artwork will be auctioned off on HardRock.com's Rock Shop where a percentage of the proceeds will go to DrawBridge an arts program for homeless kids.

http://www.hardrock.com/promo/Garcia/default.asp

San Francisco

Aug. 3 - 10

Los Angeles

Sep. 7 - 13

San Diego

Sep. 21 - 27

Orlando

Oct. 5 - 11

Hollywood, FL

Oct. 19 - 25

New York
Nov. 2 - 8
http://www.hardrock.com/locations/cafes/Cafes.aspx?Lc=NEWY

Chicago

Nov. 16 - 22
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 01:44 pm
Just got back from celebrating a milestone b-day in NYC. Two dear friends and I ate, drank and shopped our way from Wall Street to Harlem. I even got a chance to sneak off to the Metropolitan Museum for the Van Gogh exhibit. What a blast!
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 02:08 pm
I'm so glad you had a good time in NY. Very Happy You must come again Exclamation
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 02:20 pm
eoe wrote:
Just got back from celebrating a milestone b-day in NYC. Two dear friends and I ate, drank and shopped our way from Wall Street to Harlem. I even got a chance to sneak off to the Metropolitan Museum for the Van Gogh exhibit. What a blast!

Where in Harlem did you go?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 02:39 pm
As far as our feet could take us. Malcolm Shabazz Bazaar, Lenox Lounge, Sylvia's Restaurant, Schomberg Center, we were trying to make it to Striver's Row but were just too tuckered out to keep going.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 03:09 pm
I have not been to the Schomberg in a couple of years. Last time I was there I was doing research for my Josephine Baker construction piece. I was looking for pictures of hangings.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 03:09 pm
I have not been to the Schomberg in a couple of years. Last time I was there I was doing research for my Josephine Baker construction piece. I was looking for pictures of hangings.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 03:39 pm
Sorry, I'm having problems posting. The forum is slow now.
0 Replies