Boxer in Title Fight Dies from Injuries, Time for a Ban?

dlowan

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 05:57 am
Hmm, I also, Msolga.

I think for me it is because I am gradually switching from looking at the keyboard, to not doing do.

So, I muck up all the time.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 06:14 am
Hadn't noticed yours at all, but mine are everywhere! Confused
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 09:31 am
Linda Robertson's View

Quote:
We must learn from senseless boxing death

By Linda Robertson

[email protected]

Boxer Leavander Johnson planned to leave his championship bout in a limo. He left in an ambulance.

Now, six days after doctors cut out a piece of his skull to relieve the swelling of his brain, Johnson will leave Las Vegas in a coffin.

''I've puked twice tonight,'' promoter Lou DiBella said Saturday night after watching Johnson absorb 409 punches from Jesus Chavez.

The fight was not close headed into the 11th round. Johnson, defending his International Boxing Federation lightweight belt for the first time, had been pummeled in the head. He had no chance of winning. Yet he fought on.

Johnson's father and trainer, Bill, stood in his son's corner, looked into his son's eyes and discussed throwing in the towel, but decided not to. The ringside physician, Dr. Margaret Goodman, checked Johnson and found his neurological signs to be normal. She warned referee Tony Weeks not to allow him to endure much more punishment.

Then, 38 seconds into the 11th, after Johnson was struck by 20 straight blows, Weeks stopped the fight. Johnson was alert and wanted to keep going.

A blood clot was already forming. As Johnson walked to his dressing room, he began dragging his left leg. He complained of an excruciating headache. Within two minutes, he had slumped off the rubdown table. Forty minutes later, he was in surgery.

He rallied for a couple days, but in the end, his brain could not overcome the trauma of slamming from one side of the skull to the other, according to his surgeon.

Johnson was a father of four from Atlantic City, N.J. After 16 years as a pro, he was to collect his biggest purse -- $150,000.

Prior to the fight, he told a reporter: ``If this guy is going to beat me, he is going to have to kill me.''

PREVENTION IMPORTANT

Boxers don't stop their own fights. To do so would be contrary to the core of their being that drew them into boxing in the first place. They are in the ''hurt business,'' as Mike Tyson called it. They train themselves to ignore signals of surrender from their bodies.

So when DiBella says Johnson was ''victimized by his own bravery,'' he is wrong. Johnson was victimized by a sport -- and an audience -- that values the smell of blood and the threat of death over the ''sweet science'' of a safely-contested match. Consequently, fights tend to end a round too late rather than a round too early.

Boxing is on a bad run. In the past six months, four boxers have died and two have nearly died. But this is not a plea to ban our most elemental sport. It is inherently dangerous, but it needn't be eliminated any more than football, hockey or rugby should be eliminated. Skiers and jockeys die, too.

It's just that boxers die more often. They don't have to. We don't have to shrug and say, ``That's boxing.''

''Almost all ring deaths are preventable,'' said Ferdie Pacheco, the Fight Doctor for Muhammad Ali who eventually left the corner because the brain-damaged Ali wouldn't retire. ``When a guy starts to take a beating, stop the fight. Put it on a scale and tell me which is more important: a thrilling, gruesome fight or a person's life?''

FAILING TO HELP

Referees should be rewarded, not booed, for stopping fights. Pacheco suggests opening a referee school, instituting a rigorous exam and licensing a select few.

Fighters are permitted to enter the ring without sufficient recovery time and despite cumulative damage. ''Their brains are like overripe tomatoes,'' Pacheco says, recalling Benny Paret's death against Emile Griffith.

Johnson was 35 and had fought two months ago. Riddick Bowe, 37 and battered, somehow got a license in Oklahoma. Roy Jones Jr., 36, fights in St. Petersburg next week even though he was knocked cold in his past two bouts. The foolish comeback of Thomas Hearns, 46, should be blocked.

Goodman, chief of the Nevada State Athletic Commission's medical advisory board, advocates mandatory prefight CT scans paid for by the promoters. The commission has formed a panel to review the deaths and seek reforms.

''Something is wrong,'' Goodman said. ``We need to re-evaluate the entire way we approach the testing and treatment of boxers. These kids trust their lives to us, and we're failing them.''

It's time for those who oversee boxing to be as courageous as the boxers
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 09:32 am
InfraBlue wrote:
You all should have seen all of Oscar de la Hoya's women fans becoming excited and aroused watching him fight during his heyday.

They weren't excited by the violence though.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 09:36 am
Who Killed Davey Moore - Dylan

Who killed Davey Moore,
Why an' what's the reason for?

"Not I," says the referee,
"Don't point your finger at me.
I could've stopped it in the eighth
An' maybe kept him from his fate,
But the crowd would've booed, I'm sure,
At not gettin' their money's worth.
It's too bad he had to go,
But there was a pressure on me too, you know.
It wasn't me that made him fall.
No, you can't blame me at all."

Who killed Davey Moore,

"Not us," says the angry crowd,
Whose screams filled the arena loud.
"It's too bad he died that night
But we just like to see a fight.
We didn't mean for him t' meet his death,
We just meant to see some sweat,
There ain't nothing wrong in that.
It wasn't us that made him fall.
No, you can't blame us at all."

Who killed Davey Moore,

"Not me," says his manager,
Puffing on a big cigar.
"It's hard to say, it's hard to tell,
I always thought that he was well.
It's too bad for his wife an' kids he's dead,
But if he was sick, he should've said.

Who killed Davey Moore,

"Not me," says the gambling man,
With his ticket stub still in his hand.
"It wasn't me that knocked him down,
My hands never touched him none.
I didn't commit no ugly sin,
Anyway, I put money on him to win.

Who killed Davey Moore,

"Not me," says the boxing writer,
Pounding print on his old typewriter,
Sayin', "Boxing ain't to blame,
There's just as much danger in a football game."
Sayin', "Fist fighting is here to stay,
It's just the old American way.

Who killed Davey Moore,

"Not me," says the man whose fists
Laid him low in a cloud of mist,
Who came here from Cuba's door
Where boxing ain't allowed no more.
"I hit him, yes, it's true,
But that's what I am paid to do.
Don't say 'murder,' don't say 'kill.'
It was destiny, it was God's will."

Who killed Davey Moore,

Copyright © 1964; renewed 1992 Special Rider Music
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 09:41 am
dlowan wrote:
Methinks you have not watched the audiences in boxing, then.

That has been the only thing I HAVE watched, on the rare occasions that I have been forced to sit there while the boxing is on TV.

But, are you actually saying that you do not believe that some women are sexually turned on by violence? That it is only a testosterone thing?

Watching it on TV? I have BEEN to hundreds of live sporting events, boxing, football, baseball, basketball, etc. Women, by and large, do not get aroused by violence. Normal women get turned off by violence. I haven't been to a live boxing match in awhile and haven't watched on TV, I will though just to try to figure out what you are talking about.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 10:27 am
normal women get turned off by violence? says who? i'd presume that, as in any situation where you have a group of people, some are turned on, some are turned off, some don't care. i don't think the 'gentler' half of humankind would stay far behind men in seeking thrills in violence, visually or physically. somewhat maybe (there again we can discuss how much of it is cultural and how much is in the genes so to speak), but not much.
i have been to hundreds of stores, but i'm not gonna claim women love to buy pickled herring just because i do when i go...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 12:24 pm
msolga--

Quote:
I get quite embraced when I read my posts

Good. That's because we love you.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 01:30 pm
Dag, next time I see you, let's throw down.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 05:49 am
Noddy24 wrote:
msolga--

Quote:
I get quite embraced when I read my posts

Good. That's because we love you.

Laughing

Nice, Noddy! Very Happy
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 07:50 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Dag, next time I see you, let's throw down.

ok, slappy. let's. it will be a nice change from throwing up. frankly, i was growing a little tired of that. i'm all for healthy living.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 08:33 am
dagmaraka wrote:
normal women get turned off by violence? says who? i'd presume that, as in any situation where you have a group of people, some are turned on, some are turned off, some don't care. ..

Then how come ninetyfive percent of the attendees at boxing matches are men and most of the women there are there because a guy brought them. I do not even buy the original statement that people as a whole get sexually aroused watching violence. Of course, I am sure there some men who do and even far fewer women.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 09:25 am
there are studies about such topics (perceptions, turn ons, turn offs.) perceptions, like culture,norms, institutions, are not static and evolve. there are increasingly more women at the matches and in them, and i highly doubt that they all go because a guy brought them. none of my friends that i boxed with ever went or even started because a guy brought them. i believe the trend will continue.

Excerpts from one perspective that takes a try at explaining history behind the boom of women boxing (via a profile of one boxer):
"The current boom in women's boxing, which began almost a decade ago, may be just the latest episode in this long history, but it also has occasioned major changes in the fight world. The increasingly institutionalized character of women's boxing is a new development: title-granting organizations (multiple, competing, and variably shady, just like those in men's boxing) award belts and rank contenders, state commissions regulate women and men alike, and a formal amateur network undergirds the profession. For the first time since the rise of boxing to state-regulated legitimacy a century ago, it is now common practice to include a women's bout among men's bouts, or to stage all-women's cards. To the extent that any boxing is legitimate, women's boxing has become increasingly legitimate, and sometimes it can even be the main event."

<snip>

"Among the several social and cultural frames one might place around this phenomenon--and its high visibility in a recent round of movies, books, news features, and advertisements--is the larger movement of women into traditional proving grounds of American manhood. The generation of women currently integrating boxing, contact sports, hunting, and the military combat arms (not to mention action movies) has grown up in a time of remarkable fluidity in the sexual division of work and play. In particular, the assumption of a male monopoly on skilled, socially valued aggression has been seriously undermined, and not only by the feminist impulse. The Title IX legislation of 1972 that enabled the late 20th-century boom in women's sports was a symptom as much as a cause of the movement of women into previously off-limits areas. Beneath and behind the transformation of play lies the transformation of work: the final collapse of the family wage system that theoretically allowed a working man's salary to support his wife and children, together with the complementary movement of men into service jobs that resemble what used to be called "women's work." Deindustrialization, the mechanization of farming, and the expansion of service work, especially, have helped to undermine the traditional calculus of masculinity based on body work and associated rough play, on being good with one's hands.

A variety of enterprising women have undertaken to explore the evocative ruins of that partially collapsed tradition and to salvage usable parts for their own purposes. Women pushing for access to the fight world have been part of a larger push in the realms of work and play (which overlap at the fights) to claim once "manly" virtues that boxing is known to nurture and embody: autonomy, physical competence, and discipline, all wrapped up with productive aggression.

Women who want to fight, driven by an appetite for hitting as incompletely explicable as that which urges men into the ring, come to boxing from a variety of directions. A few come from fighting families; they grow up trading punches with brothers, or learn the ropes from fathers. More women, for the most part educated and middle-class, are recruited through the boxing-themed aerobic exercise regimes currently popular in health clubs. They grow tired of punching air to the beat and begin to wonder what it feels like to hit somebody who hits back. Others, the multi-sport athletes, come to boxing after playing organized sports in high school or college. Most of those sports offer little in the way of a professional future, and boxing is so individualistic that an extraordinarily motivated woman can take it up in earnest while still earning a living at day jobs or even pursuing a full-fledged career.

The majority of female boxers come to boxing through martial arts, which tend to emphasize technique over brute strength and which have been relatively integrated in the United States since the late 1960s and 1970s, when feminism and a spike in crime statistics inspired widespread interest in women's self-defense"

whole article: http://www.bc.edu/publications/bcm/winter_2002/ft_boxing.html ("Get Busy, Girlfrien")
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 01:06 pm
Quote:
there are studies about such topics (perceptions, turn ons, turn offs.) perceptions, like culture,norms, institutions, are not static and evolve. there are increasingly more women at the matches and in them, and i highly doubt that they all go because a guy brought them. none of my friends that i boxed with ever went or even started because a guy brought them. i believe the trend will continue.

I believe it will decline. I believe that the popularity of boxing will continue to decline. I watched the crowd at Caeser's Palace and was not able to see two women in the crowd seated together. There were very few women. In fact, it seems to me there used to be more women. Females boxing is a curiousity that will fade.

I still want to see Million Dollar Baby though.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 01:23 pm
Quote:

Source
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 01:28 pm
Hmm. The Washington Monthly seems to be the RIGHT magazine for a judgement here ... especially re females.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 01:54 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Hmm. The Washington Monthly seems to be the RIGHT magazine for a judgement here ... especially re females.

Are you thinking of the Washington Times? Washington Monthly is very left.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 01:57 pm
Might be I got confused. Sorry.
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 05:32 pm
Banning boxing would be banning the dreams of hundreds and hundreds people in the world. At least here in Mexico, certain individuals in the low class societies view boxing as THE activity to gain something in life. You could say the same with "futbol" in Argentina or Brazil, but the truth is that the majority of boxers in my country come from very very modest families.

They know what they are getting into, and accept any consequence. The rest of us can only sit, watch, cheer, suffer, and enjoy... cause we are part of the business!
0 Replies