Boxer in Title Fight Dies from Injuries, Time for a Ban?

Chrissee

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:19 pm
Linkat wrote:
I don't like Boxing, myself, but I have to agree with Ticomaya and many others. Any time of sport comes with injuries and even death. A little leaguer who was hit in the chest from a pitched ball was killed; a cheerleader was killed while performing stunts. Should we ban all sports?

In Cock fighting the goal is too kill the opponent and also it involves animals who are not capable of consenting, unlike adults who are capable of deciding whether they want to participate in a sport or not.

In boxing, the goal is to give the other guy a concussion. If somebody invented this sport today and tried selling it, everyone would call the inventor nuts.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:21 pm
In trashy novels the violence of boxing and other forms of manly combat--to say nothing of cock fighting and pit bull matches--can act as an aphrodisiac.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:22 pm
dlowan wrote:
I think many, many people like to see real, or imaginary (as in cinema and wrestling and video games) violence.

Apparently they do. But it's one of life's mysteries that pleasure can be gained observing real people doing real harm to themselves. But hey, I'm obviously on an entirely different "entertainment" wave-length ... Confused
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:23 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
In trashy novels the violence of boxing and other forms of manly combat--to say nothing of cock fighting and pit bull matches--can act as an aphrodisiac.

LOL to whom?
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:26 pm
msolga wrote:
dlowan wrote:
I think many, many people like to see real, or imaginary (as in cinema and wrestling and video games) violence.

Apparently they do. But it's one of life's mysteries that pleasure can be gained real people doing real harm to themselves. But hey, I'm obviously on an entirely different "entertainment" wave-length ... Confused

Violence has always been a part of drama. See William Shakespeare. But there are extremes. For instance, I doubt whether many here would approve of snuff films.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:32 pm
msolga wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Apparently they do. But it's one of life's mysteries that pleasure can be gained real people doing real harm to themselves. But hey, I'm obviously on an entirely different "entertainment" wave-length ... Confused

Ditto.

In an odd way, though, I am probably more deeply distressed by the endless stream of random, gross, casual, mindless and "impactless" violence in film, and video games and ordinary sport than I am by boxing.

Probably because I have almost never seen it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:36 pm
Noddy24 wrote:

Really! Shocked

Gosh! Laughing
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:45 pm
msolga wrote:
Noddy24 wrote:

Really! Shocked

Gosh! Laughing

Yeah, someone suffering from a testosterone overdose. LOL
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:48 pm
Women are clearly aroused at these blood fests, too, Chrissee.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 08:09 pm
dlowan wrote:

Aroused? WTF are you talking about? I go to lots of football games and have been at boxing events, women aren't aroused there. Excited yes but NOT aroused.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 08:38 pm
Methinks you have not watched the audiences in boxing, then.

That has been the only thing I HAVE watched, on the rare occasions that I have been forced to sit there while the boxing is on TV.

But, are you actually saying that you do not believe that some women are sexually turned on by violence? That it is only a testosterone thing?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 12:46 am
Chrissee wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Aroused? WTF are you talking about? I go to lots of football games and have been at boxing events, women aren't aroused there. Excited yes but NOT aroused.

I doubt that all that many women would even be exited, actually ..... Confused
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 01:40 am
You all should have seen all of Oscar de la Hoya's women fans becoming excited and aroused watching him fight during his heyday.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 03:35 am
msolga wrote:
Chrissee wrote:
dlowan wrote:

I am so gonna tell Melbourne on you, Msolga!

You risk being "exited" I believe!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 04:13 am
ehm, ahem, ....cough cough... yeah, i like boxing. haven't got a serious punch in the head yet (you know, that's only a part of boxing skills, there's so much more that goes into it!) and i don't expect to compete in the ring, but i have immense respect for the sport. aaaanyway, if it would get banned, people still would be doing it. it would just be more dangerous...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 04:24 am
Interesting....

What do you like about it, other than body shaping and fitness, which I assume is part of the attraction?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 04:59 am
yes, that's of course the biggest attraction. i've never had workout that intense before. rope jumping, weights, running - cardio and strength all at once. but there's a lot of technique that goes into it. you spend hours training the right footwork - steps, turns, speed up... ducking, punching in the air... only a few minutes you actually spend with someone, and you only hit gloves. i mean, the actual fight as you see on TV doesn't happen in training at all. lots of thinking and strategizing when you spare with someone, it's a very smart sport, you got to have a good head. dunno if i'd be up for a real fight, but i love all the rest of it.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 05:02 am
and for an introvert that i am, it's a wonderful let out. you forget all the rest of the world, only that one other person against you exists. it's very liberating. we don't really hit in practice. it's about the tactic.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 05:10 am
Well, our (youngest) godchild (8 years old) started boxing a couple of months ago: on advice of his teachers, therapist .... and uncle Walter.

I really think, it is very important to know more about this sport than just watching some professionals in the ring.

(I'm not sure if anyone noted this before: their's general opinion that a different referee for 99.9% would have stopped that fight much earlier.)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 05:19 am
dlowan wrote:
msolga wrote:
Chrissee wrote:
dlowan wrote:

I am so gonna tell Melbourne on you, Msolga!

You risk being "exited" I believe!

OK, OK! Excited, excited, I meant!

(OMG, I'm making these sorts of mistakes all over the place these days! Why is this so? Confused I get quite embraced when I read my posts! Laughing Is there a vitamin or something that improves concentration?)
0 Replies