NO oil refineries on the northeast coast.

RexRed

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 01:50 am
Unless you want the worlds supply of shellfish poisoned.

Too many shoals/fog and one spill would end our fishing food supply.

Too many under sea rocks and undulating tides and it takes miles for a tanker to stop.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,554 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 04:33 am
When did they move New Jersey?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 05:03 am
Re: NO oil refineries on the northeast coast.
RexRed wrote:

Too many under sea rocks and undulating tides and it takes miles for a tanker to stop.

no problem.. bush will say just buy frozen,
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 06:35 am
Ever Drive through Jersey City??
kuvasz

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:40 am
Joe Nation wrote:
When did they move New Jersey?

or Philadelphia, Sunoco processes about 500,00 barrels a day at their sites in the southern part of the city and at Marcus Hook. you can't fly into the Phila Airport without the smell attacking your nostrils
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:48 am
There are a number of proposals to build LNG facilities in Washington County. Most of them are on Indian lands and the bays are all passages that pass through Canadian waters. The Canadians have vowed to stop these proposals based upon irreperable damages to the fsheries.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 01:05 am
farmerman wrote:
There are a number of proposals to build LNG facilities in Washington County. Most of them are on Indian lands and the bays are all passages that pass through Canadian waters. The Canadians have vowed to stop these proposals based upon irreperable damages to the fsheries.

I stand totally opposed myself...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 01:14 am
The problem is not the refineries but the ships that need to load and unload...

Could this fuel be trucked out? How about a perfect storm?

And are we that immune to hurricanes in the northeast?

I remember Bob it was not that bad but it still reached us and I remember writing a song that night...

I was living in a summerhouse (in Jonesport ME. (lobsta country) where I spent most of my life) converted into a winter dwelling... it was actually not that horrendous... more like a momentary wonder...

but a ship aground full of oil would be the end... I cannot even conceive of it...

I think the oil refineries have made their way to portland ME and will try to creep their way up the coast even further...

I cannot tolerate this...

I love my seafood too much to sacrifice this...

I also wonder if the coastline is now being over fished and if the universities that are "researching" marine life are actually in the business of protecting the fisheries or just doing tests that have no effect on the politics and manipulating enterprises...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 01:26 am
woiyo wrote:
Ever Drive through Jersey City??

My dad used to dock his supertankers there...

Delaware is another hotspot.

And of course the frozen tundra of Alaska...

The spill off France was terrible..

I watch these things but they are totally underplayed by the powers that be.

Like fireworks, controlled explosions and the burning of fossil fuels...

And whatever happened to "acid rain" and coal which has now become more attractive an energy source (even in Canada)?

Was that the result of paper companies cutting deciduous trees and replanting too many acidic fir trees around lakes?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 07:13 pm
Perhaps you will expend some effort in persuading your fellow citizens in the Northeast to forego the use of petroleum products for their automobiles and for heating their homes. While you're at it you could lobby for the shutdown of the coal fired electrical power generating stations to reduce ther resultant acidity in the rainfall. That would leave you with a handfull of nuclear powerplants which could meet about 25% of your current electrical power consumption.

This winter you could all freeze in the dark.
RexRed

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 10:45 am
@georgeob1,
Let's see would i rather freeze in the dark or starve to death when the oil spills ruin the selfish industry?

http://www.admiraltylawguide.com/circt/1stsouthport.html
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 11:00 am
All those legal proceedings and not one single word about environmental impact and who pays... It is only concerned about income and profit losses from a corporation or the city and surrounding businesses. Who is the attorney representing the dead fish and the poisoned waters?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 11:03 am
@georgeob1,
The issue of LNG is about the same as that for Ethanol,"IS it even a necessary step to import vast quantities of LNG when we have seen that we have more reerves than we need for the next 100 years?"
Also, the environmental damage at such a pristine coast as the downeast area makes it especially vulnerable.
In downeast Maine , it addiltionally perplexing to understand why the infrastructure is being designed when its so distand and unconnected to the foci of transport.
RexRed

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 12:41 pm
@farmerman,
If these petroleum companies can get a toe in the northeastern door they will ship a tanker in. How many miles does it take for a super tanker to come to a complete stop?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 07:02 pm
Ditto!

...also, another one of my zero vote threads...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 07:12 pm
@woiyo,
I lived the first five years of my life in Basking Ridge NJ.

My dad worked for Sunoil as a tanker captain for over 40 years.

My mom's dad also was a tanker captain.

I meant the northeast as in New England (sorry)

You know those states above New York that supply and feed the whole world with shellfish and other marine life?
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 10:58 am
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:

No problem, we can derive all the energy we need just by basking in the glow of Obama.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 12:36 pm
@RexRed,
It appears that, with the amounts of natural gas that e are finding in Pa and West Virginia, we dont need that LNG gas line into Washington County anyway. I am so happy that something right can be done.

(Even though weve had a few pesky explosions and blowouts in the gas fields, so much so that the Gov of Pa has suspended all drilling for now).
RexRed

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 02:51 pm
@farmerman,
Hmmm the gas fields are not something to mess with either they have remained fairly docile for many years. They start replacing the gas with oxygen and what do they expect?
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 08:41 am
@RexRed,
Im not sure of what you are speaking. ???? That post makes no sense