Republican Priorities

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 09:57 am
Nothing like a nice dose of reality to remind you who the Republican party really serves; the rich.

Quote:
Sirotablog
Viewing By Entry / Main
Protecting tax cuts, GOP proposes cuts to military health care

In the wake of Hurricane Katrina, President Bush and Republicans in Congress have refused to consider rolling back the $336 BILLION in new tax cuts that the richest 1 percent are slated to get over the next five years. They say we need to pay for reconstruction not by asking the wealthiest to sacrifice just a little bit, but by massive cuts to spending. And now we see what that means: The Navy Times today reports that those cuts "include trimming military quality-of-life programs, including health care." This, while troops are in battle.

The Republicans have put their cutting efforts in military terms, calling it "Operation Offset" - a further insult to the men and women in uniform they are now trying to screw over. The specifics are ugly. They are, for instance, asking troops to "accept reduced health care benefits for their families." Additionally, "the stateside system of elementary and secondary schools for military family members could be closed." In the past, this idea "has faced strong opposition from parents of children attending the schools because public schools [in and around bases] are seen as offering lower-quality education."

None of this, I suppose, is all that surprising. In the past, we've seen tax cuts put before making sure troops have adequate body armor heading into war - a tax/budget decision that very likely increased U.S. casualties. We've also seen Republicans vote down efforts to reduce tax cuts for the very wealthy in order to restore cuts to military family housing. And we've seen tax cuts come as the White House has refused to adequately fund a variety of other programs for troops. The truth is, the GOP has in moments of candor admitted that they care about cutting taxes for the wealthy far more than they care about the troops.

As you may recall, it was Tom Delay who said before the Iraq invasion "Nothing is more important in the face of a war than cutting taxes." Apparently to the Republicans, nothing is more important in the face of a war AND massive destruction to the homefront than cutting taxes either.

Posted by David Sirota at 7:38 AM |

http://www.workingforchange.com/blog/index.cfm?mode=entry&entry=7E479431-0FCB-2076-D3D1FE0B7965BE11

Just sickening.

If you are a Republican, these are the people and votes you support. Voting tax cuts for the rich over relief for people who desperately need it.

Houston and the Gulf coast are about to be hammered, much of LA yet again. The destruction is going to be devastating. We need all the money we can get, and yet, Republicans are more interested in keeping tax cuts for the wealthy than helping refugees, soldiers, or their families.

There isn't much doubt any longer who the Republican party exists to serve; the very wealthy. You guys had better watch out; if things keep going this way, you're gonna get creamed in '06 and '08, and you know it.

Cycloptichorn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 592 • Replies: 8
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:28 am
Used to be the Republicans embraced smaller government. Nowadays, they embrace bigger deficits.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:58 am
"There isn't much doubt any longer who the Republican party exists to serve; the very wealthy"

No argument with this statement Cyclo. Yet, do not believe that the only choice is the current Democratic Party. they are not a alternative. They too, pander to the own special interest and there is no one in govt who supports the backbone of this nation, the working class stiffs.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 11:03 am
I agree.

The only reason I've supported Dems is that I feel they are just slightly less corrupt than the Republicans.

One of the reasons for this is the way big business has taken over our election process.

That's one of the reasons I like Howard Dean so much; I bought a Democracy bond, along with about 100k people now, which donates 25 a month to the democratic party, in perpetuity. If we could get a million people signed up on such a program, imagine how much easier it would be to get the influence-peddlers and corporate donations out of the game....

The Republicans should really get the same program going on. I think there are a lot of good republicans like my Dad who just can't understand what the hell happened to the party of responsibility...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 11:27 am
There are similiar large corporate and affluent donors in the DNC ranks as well and they all disgust me.

I applaud anyone who gets directly involved, such as you. However, I myself can not come to grips with contributing any of whats left of my income to any politician or party. Neither party is looking our for the interest of the working class.

I just do not have answers expect to get more involved locally as an independent and try to run against some of the incumbants. Yet, no money.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 11:46 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I think there are a lot of good republicans like my Dad who just can't understand what the hell happened to the party of responsibility...Cycloptichorn

fer real, cyclo. i've mentioned several times just how republican my folks are. when lifers like my folks start shaking their heads, ya know the party is in trouble.

the other day, my dad actually said " ya know, i'm really disappointed in george bush." told him he better not let mom hear him say that. "not these days. she's fed up too."

guess it's not just liberal spin after all, eh?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 11:57 am
Nope. My parents say much the same thing, and it's not just Bush that gets criticism; they hate DeLay and Rick Perry as well.

Sea change, my friends. It's a'coming. Unfortunately, does anyone not believe that we will have a gigantic mess left to clean up?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 11:58 am
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I think there are a lot of good republicans like my Dad who just can't understand what the hell happened to the party of responsibility...Cycloptichorn

fer real, cyclo. i've mentioned several times just how republican my folks are. when lifers like my folks start shaking their heads, ya know the party is in trouble.

the other day, my dad actually said " ya know, i'm really disappointed in george bush." told him he better not let mom hear him say that. "not these days. she's fed up too."

guess it's not just liberal spin after all, eh?

Since many have said similiar things about both parties (This is not the party of Kennedy,etc...), I shops me how far our political system has dropped ovedr the past say 30 years.

Sooner or later, the parties will wise up or the people better rise up as the statua quo will never allow this great nation to become great again.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 07:26 pm
right. and that's not gonna happen until people get over all of this culture war stuff.

being a musician, it's ironic that even i know that there's more to life, and more to be concerned about, than sex and dope.

like not bankrupting the government and selling it off piece by piece to other countries. some of whom are enemies of america. like china.

ironic that even i know that, too... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies