Rita Will Accomplish What Katrina and Cindy Could Not

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 09:09 am
The outcry to bring the troops home will be overwhelming to come home and take care of the infrastructure here. Congressional Republicans up for re-election will respond. Perhaps, the rebuilding of La and the Texas Gulf will lead to a boom in the economy and total re-thinking and re-tooling of coastal infrastructure. Our consumption of fossil fuels needs to be addressed as well. This could be a new era and a POSITIVE thing if only we had leadership at the top. Guess we will have to wait a couple years for that.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,346 • Replies: 40
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 09:38 am
Oh, there will be changes - big ones - though I doubt The Left is gonna be very happy about 'em.

We can expect a surge of refinery and pipeline building, oil shale and oil sand exploitation, an opening of hitherto off-limits near-shore exploration, development, and production, a slam-dunk for ANWR development, significantly increased LNG production, storage, and transport capabilities, new nuclear power plants, a boom in coal production, and a massive restructuring of the nation's power distribution grid. The pardigm shift of US energy policy will be a powerful influence for decades, perhaps generations. What comes of this is likely to have as much or more impact on the course of The Nation as did Eisenhower's Interstate Highway System.

I figure also that by the time Campaign 2006 ramps up, factors at play in the mind of The Electorate will include the economic impetus of Gulf Coast rebuilding, the accellerating return of US troops from Afghanistan and Iraq as those two nations take increasing responsibility for their own internal security, and very likely hightened tensions with either or both Iran and North Korea. I don't see much there of comfort to the Bushophobes.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:02 am
You are 100% wrong about the electorate, Timber. They're pissed. You guys are going to get creamed at the polls if things keep going the way they are going.

Where is the money going to come from for the things you propose? From even more deficits and rising debt? That won't win elections for ya.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:04 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
You are 100% wrong about the electorate, Timber. They're pissed. You guys are going to get creamed at the polls if things keep going the way they are going.

Where is the money going to come from for the things you propose? From even more deficits and rising debt? That won't win elections for ya.

Cycloptichorn

So, I'm sure you've been predicting the massive Democratic losses we've seen over the past few years, right?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:07 am
Re: Rita Will Accomplish What Katrina and Cindy Could Not
Chrissee wrote:
The outcry to bring the troops home will be overwhelming to come home and take care of the infrastructure here. Congressional Republicans up for re-election will respond. Perhaps, the rebuilding of La and the Texas Gulf will lead to a boom in the economy and total re-thinking and re-tooling of coastal infrastructure. Our consumption of fossil fuels needs to be addressed as well. This could be a new era and a POSITIVE thing if only we had leadership at the top. Guess we will have to wait a couple years for that.

Ignoring foreign policy to take care of domestic needs, however real and serious, merely creates a temporary illusion that you're bettering your condition.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:10 am
Quote:
So, I'm sure you've been predicting the massive Democratic losses we've seen over the past few years, right?

I don't know that there have been any 'massive' losses for Dems.

We knew we were going to lose seats in Congress in '02, and Bush was riding pretty high on the War chariot last election. I predicted a Kerry win but it didn't turn out to be correct.

The situation, as they say, is somewhat different now; you don't have to have me point this out to you, Brandon. If you would put your partisanship in check for just a minute or two, I'm sure you will realize that even the Republicans are talking about what a dangerous position they are in; a complete 180 from last year at this time.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:19 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

I don't know that there have been any 'massive' losses for Dems.

We knew we were going to lose seats in Congress in '02, and Bush was riding pretty high on the War chariot last election. I predicted a Kerry win but it didn't turn out to be correct.

The situation, as they say, is somewhat different now; you don't have to have me point this out to you, Brandon. If you would put your partisanship in check for just a minute or two, I'm sure you will realize that even the Republicans are talking about what a dangerous position they are in; a complete 180 from last year at this time.

Cycloptichorn

The recent poll results for Bush aren't good, but I attribute most of this to the efforts of people like you and the liberal media, slinging mud at him in the hopes that some will stick.

I believe that he's done a good job and been relatively successful in implementing his policies. However, if hypothetical Senator X has been relatively successful during his years in office, but several newspapers and magazines who don't like him begin publishing articles with titles like "Senator X in Desperate Bid to Recover From Policy Failures," pretty soon a good portion of the public will regard him as a failure, simply because many people are ignorant and impressionable.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:21 am
Oh, right, right, it's not reality that makes Bush look bad, it's the media.

You really crack me up, Brandon.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:22 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Keep your head in the sand and keep living in the past. You are in for one hell of a shock.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:23 am
The whistling in the dark rationalizations on these political threads is deafening. Bush's poll figures are not due to any mud slinging -- Bush is manufacturing his own mud and slinging it at himself.

If anyone is still in denial, I would recommend a 12 step program "Bushaholics Anonymous." The first step is to admit he's a bad President and his political life is becoming unmanageable.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:26 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Oh, right, right, it's not reality that makes Bush look bad, it's the media.

You really crack me up, Brandon.

Cycloptichorn

It's exactly the same as the widespread conservative persecution of Clinton at the end of his term. Enough mudslinging and character assassination by an organized opposition definitely has an effect, particularly if such opposition controls a lot of the media.

I believe that the country is immensely better of because of Bush than it would have been now had most other candidates come to power, such as, say, Gore. Had Gore come to power, I believe, for instance, that Iraq would probably have succeeded in acquiring a secret stockpile of very serious WMD by now, and perhaps even used them. Does anybody doubt that Muslim extremists would use WMD against our cities had they the option?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:26 am
Quote:
I believe that he's done a good job and been relatively successful in implementing his policies. However, if hypothetical Senator X has been relatively successful during his years in office, but several newspapers and magazines who don't like him begin publishing articles with titles like "Senator X in Desperate Bid to Recover From Policy Failures," pretty soon a good portion of the public will regard him as a failure, simply because many people are ignorant and impressionable.

So, you think Bush's Iraq policy is successfull? Relatively?

How about his handling of the economy? Our giant debts and deficit, that's great work there.

How about scandals involving leaks in his staff, all the way up to the top?

How about his inept choices to head FEMA? You think it's the media that is making Bush look bad with that one?

How about Social Security reform? He was totally rebuffed by the Electorate on that one.

Yeah, Bush has been real successfull alright. Damn that Liberal media for making him seem like a failure...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:28 am
First of all, we need a committment to 1)Re-examining and re-tooling our coastal infra-structure. 2) We need to end our dependence on fossil fuel. Oil has reached it's peak capacity, we cannot go on like this. We need a commitment to vehicles that can get 200 mpg or use no gasoline at all. This needs to be equivalent to JFK's commitment to go to the moon. We can do this. With the right leadership.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:35 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

So, you think Bush's Iraq policy is successfull? Relatively?

Since my time is limited, let me choose this one to respond to, at least initially. I believe that Bush's Iraq policy is infinitely superior to a policy of not demanding that rogue states stop WMD production. Such a policy would inevitably lead eventually to a WMD attack on the west, or at the very least to WMD blackmail by Muslim extremists. I believe that if we had not pushed, and pushed, and pushed on Iraq in a credible way, it would now have a serious secret stockpile of WMD, or would be close to it.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:39 am
The era of cheap oil is certainly ending. And Bush is doing his level best to end it with a bang.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:45 am
Bold type isn't much different than all caps. No need to shout here unless one is desperate to convince themselves. Muslim extremists searching for WMD's to use in a terrorist attack have had other sources other than Iraq (which would unlikely ever be a source as long as inspections were allowed to continue) to possibly obtain such a weapon. The Bush Administration just made a "deal" with the North Koreans that looks suspiciously the same as the deal Clinton made with the North Koreans. Me-tooism is alive and well in Washington.

Face it, Sadaam and Iraq was a personal vendetta by Bush, Jr.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:47 am
Quote:
I believe that if we had not pushed, and pushed, and pushed on Iraq in a credible way, it would now have a serious secret stockpile of WMD, or would be close to it.

Interesting that you do believe this, seeing as there isn't a single piece of evidence supporting the idea that Saddam had the capability to produce a stockpile of WMD anytime soon, and a great amount contradicting this claim....

It shows how removed from reality you are, Brandon; Saddam wasn't a threat to us at all.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 11:19 am
Brandon9000 wrote:

The recent poll results for Bush aren't good, but I attribute most of this to the efforts of people like you and the liberal media, slinging mud at him in the hopes that some will stick.

Rolling Eyes When his poll results were good did you attribute most of it to "people like you" and the "conservative media"?

Come on Brandon! This kind of silliness is below you.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 03:16 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Rolling Eyes When his poll results were good did you attribute most of it to "people like you" and the "conservative media"?

I believe that he has been the victim of an organized and successful effort to accuse him of everything possible so that a few bits will stick.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 03:39 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

I believe that he has been the victim of an organized and successful effort to accuse him of everything possible so that a few bits will stick.

As the sustained and hysterical Republican mud slinging at and witch hunt of Clinton (which you rightly acknowledge) cost him his second term?
0 Replies