Liberals losing their minds over a book

Chrissee

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 11:10 pm
Re: Liberals losing their minds over a book
mysteryman wrote:
The liberals are going crazy over a childrens book.
The book..."Help! Mom! There Are Liberals under My Bed!: A Small Lesson in Conservatism"

Never heard of it and I am not interested.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 06:16 am
Quote:

If people are so concerned then how come there hasn't been an order to look at the programming of the machines? I don't think it would make a difference with or without a paper trail. A look at the programming of the machines would tell the tale. Any one with an ounce of computer knowledge would know this. Those that don't know seem to demand paper.

Baldimo, as a software engineer I have to answer this.

Those of us with an ounce (or more) of computer knowledge strongly oppose software-only voting because of how easy it is to screw up -- either intenionally or not. With a large network of machines that all have to work independantly in a secure and reliable way, it is a very difficult problem.

A paper trail is the best way (and maybe the only) to make sure that there are no systemic errors or fraud and to fix them when they occur.

Electronic voting has been widely criticized by the Software Engineering profession-- the very people who would be paid to implement and maintain were it to take off.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:41 am
Read Mark Crispin Miller's book. None Dare Call It Stolen
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:47 am
Baldimo wrote:
Interesting story. It seems he testified before the Ohio congress. Now I will say this. If he did create this software can he prove that he did? And if so then he should be able to find the code that he wrote. All programers have a way of finding their own code. I would also like to know if he could reproduce the software and prove that it worked. If he can do this then I would consider that this happened but I don't think he would be able to because of the "not able to find the code" part of the story. All code can be found and exposed it is the nature of software and computers.

I thought the concern was with the machine that contains the final database. The database used was/is humanly readable and could be modified with Notepad.

As for the book... who on earth cares? Kooks will teach their kids to be kooks, no matter what their political affiliation.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 11:19 am
Baldimo wrote:
... I don't think it would make a difference with or without a paper trail. A look at the programming of the machines would tell the tale. Any one with an ounce of computer knowledge would know this. Those that don't know seem to demand paper.

then you also know it doesn't take a whole lot to make "the tale" go away, baldi.

zap. tale gone.
0 Replies