psychologyof terrorism?

au1929

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 12:16 pm
What is the psychology of terrorism? Is terrorism, i.e. the bombing of busses, night clubs, schools and , etc., whose main purpose is to kill civilians any value in promoting a cause? What does it achieve if anything?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 932 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 01:30 pm
My guess is that the strategy is to make things so unbearable for a civilian population that their gov't will change its policy to suit the goals of the terrorists.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 01:46 pm
D'artagnan
It would appear that just the opposite happens.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 01:51 pm
Most of the time, yes, au, I agree. But I'm thinking of the fight for Algerian independence vs the French. Didn't that, to some extent, include a terrorist component?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 02:47 pm
D'artagnan
I have no idea what the level of terrorism was in the Algerian fight for independence or for that matter who they were directed at.
I don't know whether they were indiscriminately targeting civilians as is the practice today. But those of today only serve to harden the resolve to stop the attacks and destroy the movements that foster them.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 03:08 pm
au, the actions that our government are doing right now are exactly what the terrorist want. Bush is living for today and forget about tomorrow. He is extending our economy, he is killing Arabs - secular Arabs might I add. Iraq is one of the countries that Islam needed a change in - America has now done it for them.

Imperialism is now a major policy for America - an the rules of engagement have been changed. The UN is irrelavent and Bush has made himself ruler of the world. And through Bush, fear has once againg become a major emotion of daily life.

We have played into their hands, instead of covert - they are now overt and the largest expenditures in the annals of mankind have been expended in their behalf. It is truly sad Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 03:40 pm
BillW
Far being it from me to defend the actions of Bush. However, what everyone seems to forget is that considerably less than 1/2 the population of Iraq were supporters of Saddam and Sunni Muslims. That Saddam had murdered thousands of Shies [sp] Moslems and Kurds is a well known fact. The reluctance on the part of the Shies to welcome the Coalition troops was they were fearful that we would again leave them high and dry as we did after the Gulf War to be slaughtered by Saddam. As for the Kurds they are raring to go. IMO when they see that we are here to help and Saddam is gone for good things will settle down.
0 Replies

hmorehead

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 04:01 pm
It's purpose is to make the powers that be at least seem to be out of control. It's to make those who fear terror question the government's ability and commitment to protect. It's to encourage popular distrust of the government. It works. The Haganah and the Stern Gang took control of Palestine after a grueling and unrelenting terror campaign.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 04:32 pm
In Iraq au, I am not talking about the short term - IMO, this is a big picture question of terrorism as a whole - and this little war plays to the hand of the terrorists. The Kurds want a homeland, which they will not get out of this. Iraq is a staging area for the US military (Imperialism), a oil well for US companies and a political facuet to be turned on and off at will.

Welcome aboard hmorehead, and enjoy your A2K experience!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 04:57 pm
BillW
That's what we keep hearing terrorism will increase as a result of the Iraq action. Terrorism has been rife before we took any action and will continue as long as it is in the power of the terrorists to commit these acts. Iraq may not influence terrorism one way or the other. As a matter of fact it may diminish since there will be no Saddam to pay the families of the suicide bombers $25,000.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 05:00 pm
au, that is the first actual positive thing I've heard for this action - other than takingout Saddam. I had'nt thought of that one. That is actually a plus for the Palestinians.

As far as worldwide terrorism - I believe it will increase, there are a lot more people mad as hell at the US now-a whole new generation!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 05:13 pm
Bill
A plus for the palestinians?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 05:20 pm
Yes, with the new PM and there attempt to distance themselves from suicide bombers, this is one more incentive to stop the stupidity!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 05:22 pm
My fear is that the Bush Regime will Balkanize the Middle East.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 05:31 pm
Bill
That is a problem but not because of Bush but because of the makeup of Iraq itself. The borders were set by the British who disregarded ethnicity or religion when they were drawing them. It is similar to the way the borders of Yugoslavia were setup. And we all know what happened when Tito was no longer around. Again that is IMO a major problem.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 05:44 pm
I was just talking about the after effects - I don't doubt that they Kurdish will expect to be repaid and probably be pissed on again by the Bushies not to mention other minorities. They want the help, they will thank them and then forget about them. I expect more Balkanization or reBalkanization now.
0 Replies