Is the US Civil War still a significant deciding factor?

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:42 pm
I'm confused.

For all my life I was under the mistaken belief that the Republicans were the south and intent on keeping slavery while the Democrats were the anti-slavery group.

Then I did my reading last week and was I WRONG WRONG WRONG - it was the other way around. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I want to know:

- Is belief/support in slavery still a significant factor in deciding which poltical party you support?
- Is the republican party's anti-slavery belief a factor in deciding they are right wing?

I'll think of more questions. It's all a haze.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 736 • Replies: 7
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:47 pm
Nah! These parties have changed so much since then, there is no recognizing them. Such is my take, anyway.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 07:29 pm
Lincoln was a Republican. Southern Democrats were pro-segregation into the 1960's. Now deceased senator Strom Thurman once headed a party called The Dixicrats (sp?) - they were group dedicated to the continuation of segregation and were a conservative spin off of the Democrats. It was only when Regan ran for president that the south started to vote for Republicans.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 07:52 pm
Green Witch wrote:
Lincoln was a Republican. Southern Democrats were pro-segregation into the 1960's. Now deceased senator Strom Thurman once headed a party called The Dixicrats (sp?) - they were group dedicated to the continuation of segregation and were a conservative spin off of the Democrats. It was only when Regan ran for president that the south started to vote for Republicans.

It was the majority vote of the Reps that allowed the civil rights act to pass in 1964. 80% of Reps voted for it vs. 60% of Dems voted for it. Al Gores father wasn't even present for the voting.

Vote totals:

The Original House Version: 290-130
The Senate Version: 73-27
The Senate Version, as voted on by the House: 289-126
By Party: The Original House Version:

Democratic Party: 153-96
Republican Party: 138-34
The Senate Version:

Democratic Party: 46-22
Republican Party: 27-6
The Senate Version, voted on by the House:

Democratic Party: 153-91
Republican Party: 136-35
By Party and Region:

The Original House Version:

Southern Democrats: 7-87
Southern Republicans: 0-10
Northern Democrats: 145-9
Northern Republicans: 138-24
The Senate Version:

Southern Democrats: 1-21
Southern Republicans: 0-1
Northern Democrats: 46-1
Northern Republicans: 27-5
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 08:58 pm
I read in another thread by a poster that the left wing only care about multiculteralism.

What is it in the US that defines the right from the left? Do the right only care for white power?

**I don't mean that in a racist sense - just what do the right care about then??**
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 09:14 pm
We want everyone to be Americans not bring in the rest of their culture to be used in the schools and such. We used to be called the melting pot now we are called the multicultural pot.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 09:18 pm
Baldimo wrote:
We want everyone to be Americans not bring in the rest of their culture to be used in the schools and such. We used to be called the melting pot now we are called the multicultural pot.

And is this was defines Americans as left wing/right wing? What is the "American" way of life?

In Australia (where many have said that multiculteralism is getting out of hand) the only Australian way of life I see is it being defined as BBQs on the weekend and lots of vegemite and tomato sauce (USA calls it ketchup, I think?) Is that what America has - some sort of tradition it can call its own?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 09:19 pm
Pragmatic, you would be very wrong to believe the left cares only about multiculturalism. There are very few on the left (or right, for that matter) that are either single issue, or consistantly left or right, for that matter. The lines in real life are not as bright as they might seem on, well, a2k.

I only point this out because you haven't been exposed to much of the US.
0 Replies