Does there exist a deity?

Terry

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 12:37 pm
Frank, sorry, I did not read the posts closely enough to see who was arguing what. I agree that your list pretty well sums up the concept of Ultimate Questions.

When I said that I agree with the necessity of a deity for life and the universe to exist, I was arguing as a theist. You know that I guess otherwise, but I am trying to stay in character here. The usual theist position is that God created everything and nothing could exist without God. I think that Graham et al would agree with that statement although none of them post here so I cannot ask them. It is up to James (or anyone else who is so inclined) to refute it, if he can.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 03:49 pm
jamespetts wrote:
satt_focusable wrote:
jamespetts..
I did not talk about defining deity, god forbid, but about endowing deity with properties devoid of inconsistency under the background of supposed existence of d[ei]ty.

In what sense is this different to defining it? And what use is starting from a disputed premise?

Actually mine is a form of "relational definition" of a concept, not the definition of a word found in dictionaries. One supposes the existence of a concept (say A), and then one endows A with properties. In this case, A and properties are defined relationally.
One can suppose the existence of a triangle with least definition of notions at the outset, but axiomatize it through undefined concepts of "point", "line", .. , and these are to be defined in a system of axioms relationally. Here, I am not talking about the classical formulation of geometry (at the time of Euclid) but in moder mathematics tried by Hilbert, D. in the last pat of 19th century.

Quote:

Quote:
You talk about the universe under the supposition of the existence of the universe, probably without doubt. Or otherwise? If one can assume the existence of the universe one can suppose the existence of deity naturally.

One does not "assume" the existance of the universe; the term "The Universe" means everything that exists, so the universe exists by definition, not by assumption.

If you mean by "universe" what you said, then one could mean by "deity" everything (possibly a single entity) that causes, allows the existence what exists or the universe.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 03:55 pm
But you do not see anything yourself other than what you see locally. (Who saw a black hole?) Are you sure about the existence of global universe. Or are you sure what exists is not merely your illusion?
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 06:28 pm
Satt,
IMO we can be fairly certain that all is not illusion but not absolutely.
1. Perhaps I imagine you, Terry, Frank, Ican, James, Jesus Girl et al.
a. This would call for a better imagination than I credit myself with: therefore--
2.I assume that you are a discreet entity.
a. Because your intelligence is different than mine
3. Therefore I Think, therefore I AM
4. I assume You Think, therefore YOU ARE
5. Now can we assume that we are two discreet entities?
6. So is it unreasonable to assume that the rest exists also.
7. Not proof,perhaps, but beyond a reasonable doubt!

Yes, The Universe is seriously occluded by our senses and perceptions. But something exists. Probably that is. Confused
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 07:05 pm
BARD is used as a legal term. As it concerns diety, I doubt it. Just because billions practice religion, that doesn't mean any god exists or doesn't exist. c.i.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 07:13 pm
I'll stick with: I don't know for sure -- and any guess I would make is, in my opinion, no better than a coin toss.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 11:42 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
I'll stick with: I don't know for sure -- and any guess I would make is, in my opinion, no better than a coin toss.

Yep - except for that pesky possibility of an afterlife, it doesn't matter a bit.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 07:13 am
snood wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

Yep - except for that pesky possibility of an afterlife, it doesn't matter a bit.

With all due respect, Snood, why would that make a difference?

If there is an afterlife -- even one of either reward or punishment -- will that make me know for sure? Will it make my opinion any better than a coin toss?

We can be pretty sure that their either is -- or is not -- an afterlife.

Either way -- I don't know for sure -- and any guess I make is, in my opinion, no better than a coin toss.

Right?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 01:24 pm
What difference does it make? I don't see most of the world's population that believe in diety as any more caring for the brothers and sisters. As a matter of fact, I see some as downright dangerous to humanity, GWBush being a good example. c.i.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 01:27 pm
I was just saying that the stakes might be a little higher than, say, who kicks off or receives; in terms of things coins are tossed to decide.
0 Replies

Dux

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 01:17 am
The proof for the unexistence of a deity is that all the concepts of it have been developed by humans, & a human cannot be a God, despite the fact that some Roman Emperors named theirselves Gods or that selfish jew who created hell for all those who didn't accept his love.

The faith of the theists is based upon their problem of accepting the reality the way it is
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 04:25 am
Dux wrote:
The proof for the unexistence of a deity is that all the concepts of it have been developed by humans, & a human cannot be a God,...

That makes no sense -- starting, but not ending, with the word "unexistence."

Quote:
The faith of the theists is based upon their problem of accepting the reality the way it is

Not sure of what you are trying to say here -- but whatever problem you have with theists -- I have with both theists and atheists.

Both base their concepts of reality on guesses.
0 Replies

Dux

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 04:52 am
I meant the lack of existence, sorry, & btw I apologize if my comments are rude, i don't mean to offend anybody

Btw, isn't your suposition just a guess too?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 06:50 am
Dux wrote:
I meant the lack of existence, sorry, & btw I apologize if my comments are rude, i don't mean to offend anybody

Btw, isn't your suposition just a guess too?

YES, DUX, that is exactly what a supposition is -- a guess.

The difference between us is not that we make guesses -- but that I acknowledge that I am making guesses -- and you are trying to pass your guesses off as "truth being shared."

Sorry I got on you so heavy earlier -- but I had a bad taste in my mouth from some of the words you used.

You seem like a good person. I'm sure you will enjoy this forum -- and I hope you continue to contribute.

We'll bump heads, but it can be fun.
0 Replies

Dux

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 07:00 am
Yeah it'll be fun.

My english is so far from perfect, & my vocabulary it's good sort of limited, so expect to see many errors in my writing, the thing is that eventually I express my idea, once again sorry if i offend anybody
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 08:41 am
Don't worry about your English. If we don't understand anything you are saying, we'll ask.

Always fun to have new adversaries.
0 Replies