Does there exist a deity?

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 12:26 pm
jamespetts wrote:
Frank - :-) "Do you accept that humans are capable of making meaningful judgments as to the laws of physics, the nature of matter, the constitution of the universe, the origins of life, the nature of existence, the interplay between matter, energy, time and space, the nature and constituion of logic and mathematics, and the origins of the known universe?"I look forward to your response :-)

COMMENT:

I will word this carefully. Please read it carefully.

I think humans ARE capable of making meaningful judgements as to the laws of physics, the nature of matter, the constitution of the universe, the origins of life, the nature of existence, the interplay between matter, energy, time and space, the nature and constituion of logic and mathematics, and the origins of the known universe.

I think the kinds of judgements they can make are severely limited by the severely limited perspecitive we have of all those things.

With regard to Ultimate Questions -- I am an agnostic -- and that holds whether I am in discussion with theists, atheists, OR SCIENTISTS. I am as skeptical of scientific proclimations as I am of theistic or atheistic proclimations.

I'm going to do some guessing here:

I would guess that if all the information needed to make a truly meaningful statement about the origins of the universe -- and indeed, about what constitutes the universe -- were a yard stick -- what we know right now probably would take up space on that yardstick so small that a magnifying glass would have to be used to discern it.

So although I am pursuaded that humans CAN make meaningful judgements on all those things you asked about -- anyone making judgements other than "we honestly do not know enough right now to make any kind of truly meaningful statements about those things presently" -- is probably overstating what he or she THINKS he or she KNOWS.

Scientists talk about the Big Bang the way scientists of the past talked about Earth flatness and Terracentricity -- as though it is something we can look at and determine it to be the case. But almost everything except the most elemental aspects of astronomy and cosmology now being suggested as THE ANSWERS -- could easily be every bit as far off base as the thoughts at one time proposed about Earth flatness and Terracentricity.

We do not know what the universe is -- what elements comprise it. We do not KNOW if the Big Bang occurred -- or, if it did, whether it is only one in a series that have been happening throughout all eternity, etc.

We certainly do not know if the product of the Big Bang is the universe -- or if it is just a tiny dot in the real universe.

During the lifetime of people I regularly debate, Hubbel discovered that what we now call the Universe was not just this mass of stars surrounding us -- but consisted of vast Island Universes strewn throughout a much, much greater space than even imagined earlier in the century.

Something as fundamental and important as galaxies -- were discovered during the lifetime of people posting on A2K!!!

So the answer to your question is: Yes, my guess is humans ARE capable of understanding -- and making meaningful judgements about these things -- but they are also capable of misunderstanding and making completely inaccurate judgements about these things also.

And right now, we really have no idea of which is occurring within the field of science and cosmology.

If you want me to refine any part of THAT answer, James, please ask about it.

Quote:
To clarify that question in the light of your answer, I am asking whether you accept that humans are capable of making meaningful judgments as to the probability of things in relation to those matters being true.

See above.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 12:54 pm
james: I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you are a well meaning and good natured fellow.

Having said that, please re-read my post.

Now, with what part of "No" are you having a difficult time comprehending?
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 03:54 pm
I don't know whether one or more deities exist, what their nature is, what their intentions (if any) toward the human race are, why they created human beings with so many flaws, what they expect of us, or why they would create billions of galaxies for no purpose other than to be observed by a few mostly-sentient beings on one small planet in this one.

Some people say that they have personal knowledge of a god, spiritual advisor, universal consciousness, or other supernatural being(s). I do not doubt their faith, but cannot know whether the god that they experience is internal or external. I suspect that anyone who wants badly enough to be contacted by God will find him in fortuitous events, subconscious thoughts, or even white noise.

It seems that I was just not created with the right combination of experience, desire, and ability to renounce logic to become a believer in the God of the Bible, Allah, Krishna, alien life forms, Holy Ghosts, or any other kind of supernatural being. So unless one of them decides to bestow unquestioning faith on me, I will remain an agnostic who guesses that there are no gods.
0 Replies

jamespetts

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 03:10 am
Frank Apisa wrote:

I think humans ARE capable of making meaningful judgements as to the laws of physics, the nature of matter, the constitution of the universe, the origins of life, the nature of existence, the interplay between matter, energy, time and space, the nature and constituion of logic and mathematics, and the origins of the known universe.

I think the kinds of judgements they can make are severely limited by the severely limited perspecitive we have of all those things.

How do you quantify the severity of the limitation, and upon what basis? I accept that there is limitation, but I am not clear as to whether the degree of limitation that you assert is overexaggerated or not, as it is not clearly quantified.

Frank Apisa wrote:

With regard to Ultimate Questions -- I am an agnostic -- and that holds whether I am in discussion with theists, atheists, OR SCIENTISTS. I am as skeptical of scientific proclimations as I am of theistic or atheistic proclimations.

That's very interesting. We shall come on to the implications of that in a moment.

Frank Apisa wrote:

I'm going to do some guessing here:

I would guess that if all the information needed to make a truly meaningful statement about the origins of the universe -- and indeed, about what constitutes the universe -- were a yard stick -- what we know right now probably would take up space on that yardstick so small that a magnifying glass would have to be used to discern it.

You acknowledge that that's a guess; do you also acknowledge, therefore, that the probability of that guess being right is necessarily far smaller than of it being wrong (given the number of permutations that the model upon which you based the guess has)? Or do you have some unspecified basis for asserting that you are more likely than not to be right? If you are basing your entire theory of the extent of human knowledge on a single unsubstantiated guess, doesn't that mean that you are committing the same error as that which you criticise in those against whom this theory is aimed?

Frank Apisa wrote:

So although I am pursuaded that humans CAN make meaningful judgements on all those things you asked about -- anyone making judgements other than "we honestly do not know enough right now to make any kind of truly meaningful statements about those things presently" -- is probably overstating what he or she THINKS he or she KNOWS.

Probably? To what degree of probability? What is your justification for this particular degree over any other randomly selected degree of probability that could exist?

Frank Apisa wrote:

Scientists talk about the Big Bang the way scientists of the past talked about Earth flatness and Terracentricity -- as though it is something we can look at and determine it to be the case. But almost everything except the most elemental aspects of astronomy and cosmology now being suggested as THE ANSWERS -- could easily be every bit as far off base as the thoughts at one time proposed about Earth flatness and Terracentricity.

Why? How do you define "elemental"? Are you suggesting that the particular scientific bases for each and every theory which you suggest is no more than a guess, in effect, is specifically flawed in its quantification of the probability of its rightness, and that you can demonstrate those flaws? If not, then in what sense can your proposition be right? A general statement that, in your opinion, humans do not have enough knowledge to make these judgments does not answer the question: you have not defined exactly how much knowledge that humans would have to have to reach conclusions on the matters that you cite with degrees of probability that you have left unspecified. What precicely is it about humans' current level of knowledge that you contend is insufficient?

And are you suggesting that the earth really may be flat, and carried on the back of four giant elephants, for all that we know, and that such a condition is equally likely as the earth being round? That strikes me as a proposition of equal merit to that which you make in respect of the existance of a deity.

Frank Apisa wrote:

We do not know what the universe is -- what elements comprise it. We do not KNOW if the Big Bang occurred -- or, if it did, whether it is only one in a series that have been happening throughout all eternity, etc.

We certainly do not know if the product of the Big Bang is the universe -- or if it is just a tiny dot in the real universe.

But what is it about those specific unanswered questions that leads you to assert that it is impossible, given current knowledge, to determine whether or not it is more probable than not that there exists or does not exist a deity? What specific pieces of knowledge that humans are, theoretically at least, capable of acquiring but have not yet acquired that are preconditions to being able to make that determination, and why are they preconditions?

Frank Apisa wrote:

During the lifetime of people I regularly debate [sic], Hubbel discovered that what we now call the Universe was not just this mass of stars surrounding us -- but consisted of vast Island Universes strewn throughout a much, much greater space than even imagined earlier in the century.

Something as fundamental and important as galaxies -- were discovered during the lifetime of people posting on A2K!!!

Again, why is this relevent if you have not defined what specific pieces of knowledge are required in order to establish to any significant degree of probability whether or not there exists a deity?

Frank Apisa wrote:

So the answer to your question is: Yes, my guess is humans ARE capable of understanding -- and making meaningful judgements about these things -- but they are also capable of misunderstanding and making completely inaccurate judgements about these things also.

That is true of any issue, and yet you will accept, I hope, that humans are capable of making genuinely significant judgments about the probability of other things being right. This leaves the question of what is so special about the question as to whether a deity exists that makes the fallibility of humans so extreme as to preclude any meaningful answer whatsoever?

Frank Apisa wrote:

And right now, we really have no idea of which is occurring within the field of science and cosmology.

I am not sure that I quite follow what you mean here. "No idea of which is occurring"?

My point is, in part, that no meaningful theory can arise from scepticism alone - logic is equally capable of drawing positive as well as negative conclusions, and indeed to draw only negative conclusions is inherently illogical.
0 Replies

jamespetts

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 03:11 am
As you see, I am having some problems with the quote system. If anyone can tell me what I am doing wrong, I should be most grateful.
0 Replies

jamespetts

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 03:17 am
maxsdadeo wrote:
james: I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you are a well meaning and good natured fellow.

Having said that, please re-read my post.

Now, with what part of "No" are you having a difficult time comprehending?

The question to which "no" referrs; I asked a long series of questions in my original post, and my response to your first post, not all of which make sense when answered with "no".

I am still not clear as to whether you are asserting that the existance of a deity is something which is true notwithstanding what may or may not exist in your mind, or indeed notwithstanding whether or not your mind exists, and in what sense that you contend it to exist. Nor do I understand the basis upon which you chose to make what you described as an "invitation" if the only bases, as you assert, for suggesting that there even might exist a deity reveal themselves only after such an "invitation" is made.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 04:34 am
jamespetts..
Your quotes appear not to work. Try this: Go to your Profile page and check on "Yes" at the option "Always allow BBCode."
0 Replies

jamespetts

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 04:47 am
Ah. Thank you :-)
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 06:37 am
James

My GUESS is that your BBCode already was enabled.

Did you follow the instructions I gave in my PM?

Look that PM over again -- if you follow what I wrote, you should be able to do the quote thing with no problem.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 06:58 am
James

As to your post:

Please don't do the Socrates re-invented thing with me.

You essentially were asking how much I trusted science -- and I responded that when science is trying to deal with Ultimate Questions-- I trust it about as much as I trust theism or atheism -- which is to say that I do not trust it at all. Guesses are guesses whether made by theists, atheists, or scientists.

Apparently you accept science in this area as (you will excuse the expression) gospel. If you intend to base any of your arguments for "the probability of a deity is infinitesimally remote...we are going to have lots of laughs at your expense.

But let's forget about your questions for a bit, because I was rather explicit about how I felt -- and like I said, I am not into someone trying to backdoor me by using the Socratic method to sidetrack debate.

Give us your thoughts, James, as concisely as possible, for why you think science somehow shows that the probability of a deity is infinitesimally small. We'll deal with the science as we go along. And this will give me a chance to interrogate you the way you have interrogated the few people who have responded to you

BTW, as to your question to Max -- I think if you read Max's posts again, you will see that the "NO" Max called to your attention was his way of telling you he does not want to discuss these issues with you - and even more exactly, that he doesn't want to play your games.

Last thought:

Quote:
During the lifetime of people I regularly debate [sic], Hubbel discovered that what we now call the Universe was not just this mass of...

Normal courtesy in these threads requires that we not call minor spelling or grammatical errors to anyone's attention by the use of (sic). You are not bound by that courtesy; it is purely voluntary. But if you ever identify what you perceive to be an error by using (sic) again, I will start using them when quoting your posts. Unfortunately, you make so many spelling and grammatical errors, it might distort things -- so best we simply allow errors to be without highlighting them. Hubbel is spelled Hubbell.

It is a beautiful day - sun is shining; it is reasonably warm; and little wind. A perfect golf day - and I still can't play golf because of the hip problem. Damn!
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 07:26 am
james, you said:
Quote:
I am still not clear as to whether you are asserting that the existance of a deity is something which is true notwithstanding what may or may not exist in your mind, or indeed notwithstanding whether or not your mind exists, and in what sense that you contend it to exist. Nor do I understand the basis upon which you chose to make what you described as an "invitation" if the only bases, as you assert, for suggesting that there even might exist a deity reveal themselves only after such an "invitation" is made.

When really you could have stopped at:
Quote:
I am still not clear

No, obviously you aren't, and unfortunately there is nothing that I can do about it.

Sorry.
0 Replies

jamespetts

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 10:58 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
James

As to your post:

Please don't do the Socrates re-invented thing with me.

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly *is* the "Soccraties re-invented thing"?

Frank Apisa wrote:

You essentially were asking how much I trusted science -- and I responded that when science is trying to deal with Ultimate Questions-- I trust it about as much as I trust theism or atheism -- which is to say that I do not trust it at all. Guesses are guesses whether made by theists, atheists, or scientists.

Actually, I was asking for your exact basis for the precice degree of scepticism that you forwarded for the particular things that you forwarded, as opposed to other things of which one might at least presume you were less sceptical. You have still not defined what constitues an "ultimate" question.

Frank Apisa wrote:

Apparently you accept science in this area as (you will excuse the expression) gospel. If you intend to base any of your arguments for "the probability of a deity is infinitesimally remote...we are going to have lots of laughs at your expense.

I do not accept anything as "Gospel", but there is good evidence to suggest that many conclusions reached by modern scientific enquiries are significantly more likely than not to be correct. This does not mean that I accept all scientific pronouncements unquestioningly nor does it mean that I do not accept the possibility that such pronouncements may be wrong; as I have repeatedly noted, it is a question of using rationality to balance probabilities based on available evidence.

You have still not explained exactly what information that humans do not have that they would have to have before you suggest that they would be able to draw the conclusion that it is probable that no deity existed, nor have you explained why you have not so explained.

Frank Apisa wrote:

But let's forget about your questions for a bit, because I was rather explicit about how I felt -- and like I said, I am not into someone trying to backdoor me by using the Socratic method to sidetrack debate.

I am not clear from this as to why you are not responding to my questions, nor exactly what the Socratic method of debate is. Did you not say a few posts ago that you intended to respond to all of my points? I am happy to respond to all of yours.

Frank Apisa wrote:

Give us your thoughts, James, as concisely as possible, for why you think science somehow shows that the probability of a deity is infinitesimally small. We'll deal with the science as we go along. And this will give me a chance to interrogate you the way you have interrogated the few people who have responded to you.

The difficulty with this is that different people have different definitions of a deity against which there are subtly different arguments. If you can define an example deity, then I can do this. However, I should also prefer if you answered my questions at the same time.

Frank Apisa wrote:

It is a beautiful day - sun is shining; it is reasonably warm; and little wind. A perfect golf day - and I still can't play golf because of the hip problem. Damn!

I do hope that your hip gets better soon.
0 Replies

jamespetts

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 11:07 am
maxsdadeo wrote:

When really you could have stopped at:
Quote:
I am still not clear

No, obviously you aren't, and unfortunately there is nothing that I can do about it.

Sorry.

Let me be clear - what I am not clear on is what you contend the truth to be, and what you meant in your last post.

Frank above suggested that the sole purpose of your post in response to my debate question was to say that you were not prepared to answer it - which puts me in mind of the man who was about to go on trial, and when told by his lawyer that the prosecution had at least three witnesses who saw him at the scene of the crime, replied, "Ahh, but I know of a hundred people who didn't see me there!"

By necessary implication, if you post, you want to contribute, or else why post?
0 Replies

jamespetts

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 11:35 am
Frank, would you like me to re-post my long response to you with BBCode enabled? That would make it easier to read, I think.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 04:18 pm
The purpose of my post is to point out the futility of yours.
You purport to want a meaningful dialogue and exchange of ideas, I pointed out the ignorance (not to be confused with stupidity) of your premise.

I really do not think that my previous post requires further clarification.

But apparently I was wrong.

Faith and a belief in God can be summed up as simply as this:

To those who believe, no explanation is necessary,
To those who do not believe, no explanation is possible.

I gather that you would fall into the latter category.

Is it your intent to flex your grey matter in such a way as to attempt to engage a believer in a discussion where you "prove" that there is no God?

Or that the person is "foolish" for thinking that there is?

If in fact this is the case, I see no utility or good in such an excercise, save for the attempt to bolster your own nagging doubts on the presence of a Supreme Being.

I ask you, what is the "real" reason for your inquiry, hmmm?

Now, when you get around to wanting to solve pi, or determining which was first, the chicken or the egg, at least you have some experience in matters that are, inexplicable.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 04:27 pm
Does it work this way also?

To those who believe, no explanation is possible,
To those who do not believe, no explanation is necessary.

c.i.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 04:34 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
To those who believe, no explanation is possible,
To those who do not believe, no explanation is necessary.

Those who do not believe are not successfully persuaded yet.
A proof is a persuasion.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 04:41 pm
satt gets it.

That reminds me of a salesman I used to work with, c.i.

He always used to say, "if the people I am trying to close say "no", then they obviously don't understand."
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 04:54 pm
In my youth, there used to be a song with the words "friendly persuation." Wink c.i.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 05:00 pm
c.i.
Should I say, "thee I love?"
0 Replies