Who ownes...

Sturgis

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 04:04 pm
Sadly the owner passed on...although I had gotten to have an acquaintanceship with him so there was a positive aspect...his children were not interested in the business and decided to sell the property (nothing like some filthy lucre, eh?) When it came to the reading of his will, it turned out that they were to lose. He bequeathed (I like that word) all the contents of the place to various customers and a few local organizations...this included an upright piano, 2 pool tables and an honest to goodness record playing jukebox. Next to my name he offered the lifetime use of 4 barstools which I am to pass along at the time of my earthly departure. (he actually wrote it up that way). His children got the main bar and the 2 story building above it which they sold for a disgusting sum (as I said though, they lost, the 5 of them only received half of the profits, the other part went to a chartitable organization he felt had saved him years earlier.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 04:15 pm
Ownership of anything is tempered by our life; whether it's our home, car, home appliances, electronics, clothes, or any consumable good and service we pay for. Some are totally consumed, and can't be passed on to our children, while other assets like real property, cars, and jewelry continue to have some monetary value. 'The rich can buy luxury items, and do almost anything they desire when it comes consumption. After they die, their assets are passed on to their spouse and/or children, but nothing is permanent.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 04:57 pm
Sturgie-

What a terrible tale of woe you relate.

But you did know a real person which is quite rare these days.What was his name and what was he like?I just love a guy who takes the time and trouble,at a time like that,to make sure that your contribution to his life had not gone un-noticed.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 05:30 pm
His name was Teddy a sweetheart of a man who died far too young (he was a mere 71). Cared about everybody and looked out for people as well, for some reason it didn't stick to his children. As I said my special treat in life was having known him.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 05:55 pm
That is something the government doesn't own.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 03:47 am
JJ wrote:
Quote:
Anyone barges their way into my house and the dog will tear their arse to shreds. That's property. Job done.

Precicely. That is the definition of ownership. Whoever gives you hell when you're trying to use something is considered the owner.

Why did the white man consider some territories indian territories? Because if the white man ventured there the indians came and gave them hell. Right to property is the law of the jungle.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 03:53 am
Joefromchicago wrote:
Quote:
In Anglo-American jurisprudence, a landowner owns all the minerals under his land. Oil, because it can migrate (technically, it is "fugacious"), is subject to special rules. In effect, oil is treated like a wild animal: whoever "captures" the oil first gets to own it

Yikes. Give the poor animals a rest. They've been dead millions of years already. So if I "catch" one gallon of oil all the oil in that reservoir belongs to me? Talk about bogus laws...

Another thing about oil. How come it is so cheap, considering the time and force it takes to produce it?

And if a landowner owns all the minerals under his land, then we're selling deeds over and over again. The earth is round, so the same "underland" is under several properties. How are propertylines defined downwards? Is the world divided like a pizza?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 08:42 am
Cyracuz wrote:
So if I "catch" one gallon of oil all the oil in that reservoir belongs to me?

No, if you "catch" one gallon of oil you would own that gallon of oil.

Cyracuz wrote:
Another thing about oil. How come it is so cheap, considering the time and force it takes to produce it?

Could you frame that as a philosophical question?

Cyracuz wrote:
And if a landowner owns all the minerals under his land, then we're selling deeds over and over again. The earth is round, so the same "underland" is under several properties. How are propertylines defined downwards? Is the world divided like a pizza?

A landowner's claim would extend downward to the center of the earth and no farther.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 12:12 pm
Just out of curiousity,

Joefromchicago, do you abide by these rules of ownership you are explaining; or are you simply clarifying the laws of the land? Smile
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 01:42 pm
One of the reasons I have seen given for the first invasion of Kuwait by Iraq was that the oilfield which straddled the border was being pumped out by the Kuwaitis and sold off for a song.

I have no idea as to the veracity of this.I just read it someplace back then.

Does it bear on the matters here?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 01:58 pm
In Santa Clara County, California, we do not own any of the resources underground such as well water or oil or other minerals that may be there. I'm not sure how many feet of the ground our home/property sits on we really own.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 02:51 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
In Santa Clara County, California, we do not own any of the resources underground such as well water or oil or other minerals that may be there. I'm not sure how many feet of the ground our home/property sits on we really own.

Here in Wales we own the soles of our shoes when we walk. So stick that up your communal gas-pipes.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 03:32 pm
What the fxxx is this John Jones trying to say?
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 04:12 pm
Interesting Cicerone...so who own it? The gov't? That'd be interesting to find out...what if you found something valuable under your house!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 05:15 pm
How valuable?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 06:13 pm
From my understanding of property laws here in California, the government owns the rights to water wells and other mineral rights. I'm not sure how deep we own our property. Maybe, the government only owns the water and mineral rights, and we own the soil/land.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 05:31 am
Quote:

Quote:

Could you frame that as a philosophical question?

I don't know how long it takes to burn one gallon of oil, but I am guessing it can be done quite fast.

Oil is fosilized fuel. I don't remember how many metric tons of organic material is needed to produce one litre of oil (approx. one quarter gallon), but the value is tons.

Secondly, how many years does it take to produce it? The answer is millions of years. And we have no means of producing it, only excavating it.

This taken into consideration, oil should be more expensive than fish eggs from iran.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 05:35 am
Here in Wales we survive by burning a pile of old sticks in our mud-thatch hovels. When we get bored we catch a bus and break down in the middle of nowhere and walk back.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 07:28 am
And not only are we engaged in burning up stored sun's energy from millions of years in one selfish yawp we are also extracting energy in nuclear plants the waste of which will be dangerous for millions of years after we go.

If we manage to have ancestors they will think of us as out of control nursery children without the slightest thought for inheritance in both directions.A splurge of built up wealth and credit laid at the door of the future in the service of infantilism.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:35 am
flushd wrote:
Just out of curiousity,

Joefromchicago, do you abide by these rules of ownership you are explaining; or are you simply clarifying the laws of the land? Smile

I'm not sure I understand your question. I really don't have much occasion to break these laws (it's not like I'm out digging for iron ore in my neighbor's back yard), so I guess I abide by them. I should add, however, that my description of the laws is very general: the rules may differ even among states in the US (western states, for instance, have very different rules regarding subsurface water). The rules in non-US jurisdictions may be completely different.
0 Replies