Who ownes...

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 03:12 am
How far under ground is the oil? How far down does right of property extend? Who ownes the oil?

If my property was this land I'm on and everything beneath it that would cause a problem; someone else on earth has the deed for the same land, just the other way, to put it bluntly.

Does anybody own the moon? A friend of mine said that some people have begun selling land on the moon...

In my opinion the right to property is bogus. It is an illution we submerge ourselves in for comfortable denial of the facts: The land outlives you. You don't own it, it ownes you. Who can own anything at all?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,603 • Replies: 43
No top replies

flushd

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 03:50 am
Cyr, I feel this way too.

However, most people think this is an insane notion. It is so engrained into our skulls when we are born , this whole idea of ownership, it is sick.

I'm interested in this topic. I'll check in to see what happens:)
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 04:08 am
Interesting! BM
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:06 am
Really doesn't even matter what we think we own since once the grim reaper comes a calling and we are dead we own nothing. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

Do I really own the clothes on my back? Do I actually own this computer? Do I own anything? For tangible items the answer clearly becomes a big resounding no since all items return to the earth eventually (although the time to recycle some things is extreme). Does a person own a house? For today perhaps but tomorrow it may be gone (storms, fire, hostile corporate takeover where greased government official palms sign papers giving 10000 acres to a corporation in exchange for ...usually... nothing). Nothing of a physical nature is ever owned.

Do I own my health? Health changes so I do not really own it.

Ideas change so no ideas which I have are really owned by me...not on a permanent basis at any rate.

Ownership...interesting concept.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:08 am
Anyone barges their way into my house and the dog will tear their arse to shreds. That's property. Job done.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:35 am
JJ-

You're wrong there JJ.I'm surprised at you.A SWAT team sent by a government agency with a CPO in their hand would make short work of your dog as Sturgis indicates.

The Gov't ownes everything including the blood in your viens and the Gov't is an abstract concept which retains its character when the personnel change.Which is as it should be in view of the fact that it has provided your house in the first place and the amenities needed to keep it going.It even provided the social setting in which it is quite likely your mother and father met and the facilities by which the infant mortality rate was lowered to give you a better chance of survival that your predecessors of 200 years ago.

Your mistake was in the "anyone".You actually meant anyone your dog could scare off and very few people in that category are likely to bother you.

I have downgraded you.If you repent I will restore you to nearly where you were before and you will think more clearly as a bonus.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:45 am
spendius wrote:
JJ-

You're wrong there JJ.I'm surprised at you.A SWAT team sent by a government agency with a CPO in their hand would make short work of your dog as Sturgis indicates.

The Gov't ownes everything including the blood in your viens and the Gov't is an abstract concept which retains its character when the personnel change.Which is as it should be in view of the fact that it has provided your house in the first place and the amenities needed to keep it going.It even provided the social setting in which it is quite likely your mother and father met and the facilities by which the infant mortality rate was lowered to give you a better chance of survival that your predecessors of 200 years ago.

Your mistake was in the "anyone".You actually meant anyone your dog could scare off and very few people in that category are likely to bother you.

I have downgraded you.If you repent I will restore you to nearly where you were before and you will think more clearly as a bonus.

I can't read most of that.
#
Anyone who wants to know what property is, just let them show their arses round my house and the dogll let them know alright.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:49 am
What do you plan to do when you find out the dog called them in to take (your) property?
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:53 am
Sturgis wrote:
What do you plan to do when you find out the dog called them in to take (your) property?

That's someone else's dog.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:55 am
Look again John...
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:59 am
JJ wrote-

Quote:
I can't read most of that.

That must be because your hobby horse is jerking up and down too fast.I think you will be able to read it if you do a "dettori".

JJ also wrote-

Quote:

Anyone who wants to know what property is, just let them show their arses round my house and the dogll let them know alright.

We are on philosophy JJ not the corner bar-stool.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 07:03 am
spendius wrote:

We are on philosophy JJ not the corner bar-stool.
Speak for yourself Spendius.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 07:17 am
I always take care to do that.

Are you on a bar-stool?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 08:26 am
Re: Who ownes...
Cyracuz wrote:
How far down does right of property extend?

In Roman law, the maxim of "Cujus est solum, ejus est usque ad coelum et ad inferos" (To whomsoever the soil belongs, he owns also to the sky and to the depths) applies. In other words, the owner of a piece of land also owns a column of earth directly below the land and a column of air directly above it. Anglo-American jurisprudence has largely adopted the "ad inferos" part of the rule, but has strongly modified the "ad coelum" part of it. Air rights, for all practical purposes, only extend as far as a building could be built: the rest of the sky belongs to the people in common (or, in real terms, to the government). A homeowner, in other words, cannot declare a no-fly zone over his house.

Cyracuz wrote:
Who ownes the oil?

In Anglo-American jurisprudence, a landowner owns all the minerals under his land. Oil, because it can migrate (technically, it is "fugacious"), is subject to special rules. In effect, oil is treated like a wild animal: whoever "captures" the oil first gets to own it (for an example of this principle in practice, click here).
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 12:06 pm
Re: Who ownes...
See, now I speak for everyone or anyone whether or not they like it and I'll tell you another thing if they don't like it then its my boot up their crack or, what's that Socrates? Socrates says that he won't rip your arse to shreds if you come round our house but-, what's that Socrates? Socrates says that instead he has decided to hold on to your knackers until you are out of the gate. Good boy Socrates. Now that's property!

Never forget that.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 01:40 pm
Socrates was an argumentive, hen-pecked,scraggy-arsed,windbag who had never seen a box of matches let alone a wide-screen digital colour telly with 20 sound combinations playing a video recording of Bob Dylan singing Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again and who lived on dried bread and well water until he voluntarily drank a clay jug full of hemlock for grassing up the girls in the temple up the road at Elusis or somewhere.The only property he possessed of note was a pestilential stench.He might have been able to hold on to your knackers JJ but he'd have been carrion if he tried it with me.
No wonder there was 1000 years of dark ages if they followed his guidance.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 01:46 pm
spendius wrote:
I always take care to do that.

Are you on a bar-stool?

I was when I sent the first message...I have one you know (actually 4) which I got when my favorite bar closed 3 years back. It was a corner bar and so I was technically on a corner bar barstool.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 02:18 pm
You mean a back-to-the-wall bar stool.

It's terrible when your favourite pub closes.It's as bad as I imagine emigrating is.

But always remember Sturgie,you don't own them.It is your privilege to have the use of them.The Pope doesn't own the apartments he lives in-he has the use of them.He's skint.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 02:36 pm
Oh well said spendius.

You will notice I only say I got them. Never would I admit ownership...after all that would be a sure way to lose them. Things are mine only for a time as they are essentially on loan.

As to the barstools, they are free standing, with a nice back, a solid seat, gentle upholstering... a few inchs of padding covered by a soft feeling but sturdy fabric with an odd pattern.
oh and the seats swivel ever so gently a full 360 degrees.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 03:22 pm
Sheesh!How lucky can a guy get.It's a real privilege to have the use of such beautiful objects which anyone who has such refined artistic appreciation deserves to enjoy.

Why did the bar close with stools like yours in it?
0 Replies