What would you vote if you lived in ...?

nimh

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 12:24 pm
Still in the buzz of following the German elections (and the English ones before that), I thought this might also be a good way to widen one's political perspective a moment, reflecting about the politics of another country for a bit!

Dont feel intimidated, you dont have to write some nimhish essay about it or anything. But imagine you would be a citizen of another country than your own. Who or what party would you vote for? And if you happen to feel like expounding, why?

nimh

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 01:30 pm
As in ... if I were a Brit, I'd vote for the Liberal Democrats. Unless I lived in Scotland, in which case I'd vote for the Greens instead.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 01:59 pm
What are the platforms of the various parties? I know lots of the names are the same as in American politics, but have far different platforms.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 03:40 pm
Oh man, I definitely need to research this one, but I like the question and the opportunity to do so. 'Cause how pitiful is it that I don't already know?

Will see what I can find, and if it looks helpful I'll post it here.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 03:47 pm
I am a stupid american, and will therefore defer to others more qualified to answer the question. Although, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have voted Hitler in...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 05:05 pm
Some stuff I've found so far:

http://www.electionworld.org/
http://www.politicalresources.net/
http://www.gksoft.com/govt/en/parties.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Index_of_political_parties
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 04:45 am
The electionworld site is pretty good, especially on results. (Only pity is they dont keep an archive; at every new election, they just throw out the data of the previous one, grr).

Any of the Europeans wanna chime in? Or Aussies, what would you vote for in New Zealand?

As for what the non-Americans here would vote in the US, I think thatd be pretty anonymous, but by all means feel free to say it ;-)
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 05:59 am
You mean "unanimous"?

I stopped into your German election thread and was a bit overwhelmed by all the parties. Would hav3e to research, look at Sozobe's links.

Short answer from what I gathered from your German election thread, sounds like I'm a Free Dem.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:13 am
Heh, that would make you a rightwinger, in German terms - which could of course well be true, many kind of libertarian-leaning posters here who are routinely grouped as anti-Bush liberals when in continental Europe they'd probably be considered right-of-centre.

And "unanimous", yes, thank you...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:15 am
I'd probably be green.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:15 am
The Greens seem to be a reasonable compromise, in whichever country, when the major parties appear to have gone off the rails. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:17 am
nimh wrote:
Heh, that would make you a rightwinger, ....

Well, not really a rightwinger like a conservative rightish person but .... more like the big-business/industry establishment ... or so :wink:
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:21 am
Anywhere?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:28 am
Well, no, certainly not. But the two I know personally better. :wink:
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:37 am
Ehmm, no sorry, the "anywhere?" was in response to Dys ... I hadnt clicked page 2 yet Embarrassed
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:48 am
What'd you vote in New Zealand, Olga, do you know?

In Germany, as already said before, I'd vote for the Linkspartei, the Leftists.

But it'd be with pain in my heart. I've always been very fond of the Greens, and Joschka Fischer is as close to a political hero of mine as you can get. And unlike many of the other disgruntleds who have now shifted sympathies to the Leftists, I didnt mind Joschka sticking his neck out over defending the military intervention in Kosovo: I thought it was brave, and passionately agreed.

But the Greens have now officially gone into postmaterialist mode. Socio-economic issues just dont seem to be of much primary importance anymore; if they list their core points its always (anti-)nuclear energy, civil rights, immigrant rights, Turkey in the EU, gay rights, consumer protection. All fine and well, but perhaps because their voters are now the richest in the country (where once they were the poorest), they just dont seem to get too worked up anymore when the unemployed now have to live on 300 or 400 euro a month ... in fact, they championed themselves as the dynamic, inventive "motor" of Schroeder's market-oriented reforms.

So out of protest, I'd vote the Left Party. Even if it includes a bunch of former GDR communists, and I swore to never vote for a communist or ex-communist in my life. Its 15 years ago, many of the Leftists werent even of age back then, and besides, in the new parliamentary Leftist caucus there are more West-Germans than East-Germans. Yes, those faintly sound like excuses even to me. But I'd have no business voting with the winners of today's economy, they get presents enough already.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 07:05 am
Hmmmm, New Zealand? Well not being an expert on all the parties, I'd steer definitely clear of the Right & remain with Labor/Labour. (Why do we all spell that differently? Confused Rolling Eyes )

That's very sad about the Greens, nimh. Sounds quite wanky & out of kilter with their roots.Sad
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 07:08 am
I would petition for self-government on the Glorioso Islands.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 07:17 am
Well I'm sure there's many who would argue fiercely against my take Msolga, but thats how I see it.

Gus - but would you join the armed resistance?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 07:49 am
America -- DLC type Democrats, RLC type Republicans, non-wingnutty-type Libertarians. So, best case, I'd be an Independent. Worst case, I'd just despair and shoot myself.

Canada: Probably Liberal Party of Canada; not quite familiar enough with the alternatives to be 100% sure. Depending on how wingnutty it is, I might prefer the Libertarian Party of Canada.

Britain: Liberal Democrats.

Netherlands: Democraten 66

France: probably Union pour la Democratie Francaise, but classical liberals in France change their party affiliations almost with every national election.

Switzerland: Freisinnig Demokratische Partei

Austria: Liberales Forum

Czechia: whatever Vaclav Klaus is -- I think Conservatives

Poland, Denmark, Belgium, Luxemburg: They're all neighbors of Germany, but I don't know enough about their political landscape to decide. Shame on me.
0 Replies