djjd62

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 09:04 am
would someone please put a bullet in Canada's brain and put it out of it's misery

Liberal, NDP insiders talk merger
http://blstb.msn.com/i/D4/FBE694A7B28E7B3742505CBBFDEDB7.jpg

Senior insiders with the federal Liberals and New Democrats have been holding secret talks about the possibility of merging their parties to form a new entity to take on the Conservatives, CBC News has learned.

Many Liberal insiders confirmed that discussions between the two parties are not just focused on forming a coalition after an election or co-operation before one, but the creation of a new party.

The new party would possibly be named the Liberal Democrats and there has been tentative talk about what a shared platform would look like and an understanding that a race would be required to choose a new leader.

"Serious people are involved in discussions at a serious level," Warren Kinsella, a former adviser to former prime minister Jean Chrétien, told CBC News.

Kinsella would not say who was involved in the discussions, saying he did not want to "deter" people.

He added that with the Liberals polling at around 25 per cent support, a merger necessitates consideration.

"The reality is that we are in a bad position," Kinsella said.

"We don't want to see the Liberal Party of Canada disappear and I'm sure there are a lot of New Democrats who are getting fed up with their fate."

Recently, there has been talk about the possibility of a coalition between the Liberals and the NDP.

"If it is doable, let's do it," Chrétien recently told CBC's Power & Politics.

Liberal MP Bob Rae wrote a blog about a coalition he was part of in Ontario 25 years ago as leader of the provincial NDP, saying the "government worked effectively and efficiently."

Former Saskatchewan NDP premier Roy Romanow has also said the idea is worth considering.

Last week, a poll suggested that a coalition led by NDP Leader Jack Layton would beat Prime Minister Stephen Harper's Conservatives while one led by Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff would lose.

In an interview with The Canadian Press over the weekend, Ignatieff said he would be prepared to lead a coalition after the election, but appeared to rule out any agreement to form a new party with the NDP.

"The talk of merger is absurd," Ignatieff said

Kinsella said that the idea hinges on Ignatieff and NDP Leader Jack Layton getting together and having some "measure of agreement on how to move forward."

Kinsella admitted an agreement to scrap the Liberal party and create a new one would upset some members.

"I can't see it being done without some bruises or some bruised feelings," he said.

But David Herle, another Liberal insider who ran two election campaigns for former prime minister Paul Martin, slammed the notion that some Liberals would be willing to kill off the Liberal Party of Canada.

"I find it an outrage, frankly. I think it's astonishing that people have leaped to such a broad conclusion and that anybody is willing to throw over the history and role that this party has and continue[s] to play in the country. I'm appalled by it," he said.

Herle agreed that the talks have been serious but is confident the ensuing backlash will kill the idea.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,886 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 04:46 pm
@djjd62,
Didn't the same thing put Stephen Harper and the Conservatives in power? Remember when the Progressive Conservative Party and the Alliance Party merged and the leader of the Alliance ended up as our current Prime Minister?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 05:33 pm
The Alliance was only somewhat to the right of the PC, and was originally a break-away party from the PC. The Liberals and the NDP have no common origin, and the NDP is very, very far to the left of the Liberals.

Anyway, the only hope they'd have is if Layton were the party leader, and you can bet that loser Ignatieff won't step aside for him.
Intrepid

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 07:17 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

The Alliance was only somewhat to the right of the PC, and was originally a break-away party from the PC. The Liberals and the NDP have no common origin, and the NDP is very, very far to the left of the Liberals.

Anyway, the only hope they'd have is if Layton were the party leader, and you can bet that loser Ignatieff won't step aside for him.

Alas. I am in total agreement with you here, Setanta.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 07:28 pm
Liberals, NDP leaders shoot down merger talk

09/06/2010 5:45:50 PM

CTV.ca News Staff
Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff has called reports of a merger between his party and the NDP "ridiculous."

"No one has any authorization to discuss such a merger," a clearly-annoyed Ignatieff told reporters Wednesday.

NDP Leader Jack Layton called the speculation "fiction" and countered that the Liberals and the Tories had already formed a de facto alliance of their own.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 07:58 pm
@Intrepid,
ack

that Iggy's gotta go
Mame

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 08:08 am
@ehBeth,
I agree with that!
hamburgboy

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 08:19 am
@Mame,
lineup of candidates : " NEXT PLEASE ! " .
0 Replies