Bill Clinton attacks Bush re Iraq, Katrina, & Budget

old europe

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 08:46 am
woiyo wrote:
au1929 wrote:
woiyo wrote
Quote:
Obviously, Bubba has limited memory. Saddam was not letting the inspectors INSPECT!!!!!

It would appear as if the bad memory belongs to you. The Inspections were ongoing when the macho man decided to invade.

BS - Saddam consistantly gave them a hard time, limiting access and actually removing them at one point.

Be honest for a change.

http://www.globalpolicy.org/security/issues/iraq/2002/0305straw.htm

Bad memory, woiyo. Does that simply come with old age, or from watching too much Fox News?

You posted an article from March 5, 2002. Yet, the US-led invasion began in March 2003. Maybe you forgot what happened in between, so let me refresh your memory:

Quote:
Inspection process

Inspections in Iraq resumed on 27 November 2002. In matters relating to process, notably prompt access to sites, we have faced relatively few difficulties and certainly much less than those that were faced by UNSCOM in the period 1991 to 1998. This may well be due to the strong outside pressure.

Some practical matters, which were not settled by the talks, Dr. ElBaradei and I had with the Iraqi side in Vienna prior to inspections or in resolution 1441 (2002), have been resolved at meetings, which we have had in Baghdad. Initial difficulties raised by the Iraqi side about helicopters and aerial surveillance planes operating in the no-fly zones were overcome. This is not to say that the operation of inspections is free from frictions, but at this juncture we are able to perform professional no-notice inspections all over Iraq and to increase aerial surveillance.

American U-2 and French Mirage surveillance aircraft already give us valuable imagery, supplementing satellite pictures and we would expect soon to be able to add night vision capability through an aircraft offered to us by the Russian Federation. We also expect to add low-level, close area surveillance through drones provided by Germany. We are grateful not only to the countries, which place these valuable tools at our disposal, but also to the States, most recently Cyprus, which has agreed to the stationing of aircraft on their territory.

This is from UNMOVIC Executive Chairman Dr. Hans Blix's briefing of the Security Council, March 7, 2003

So either you ignored the fact that Saddam was cooperating, or your selective memory failed you on this one, but claiming that Iraq was invaded in March 2003 because Saddam did not allow weapons inspectors into the country is an outright lie.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 09:05 am
I'll ignore the "snippy" little commentary from one who lives in a part of the world that has no stake in this effort . I'll recall it is from your part of the world that allowed Iraq to continually ignore the terms of surrender from the Kuwait invasion.

This govt had little confidence in the abilities of the Inspection team which I too had ZERO confidence in. That lack of confidence was "rewarded" when the world found out that some European nations, probably yours, became involved in supporting Iraqs effort to circumvent the terms of surrender as well as the so called "oil for food" program.

This is a tired argument that rational people can agree to disagree. I doubt your objectivity and ability to be rational.

I will leave you with this once again.

When a US President is faced with evidence that points to a clear and present danger to the US, it is his responsibility to remove that threat.

He did.

However, once that threat is removed, it is our obligation to our troops to leave and leave the rebuilding to others.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 09:18 am
woiyo wrote:
I'll ignore the "snippy" little commentary from one who lives in a part of the world that has no stake in this effort . I'll recall it is from your part of the world that allowed Iraq to continually ignore the terms of surrender from the Kuwait invasion.

How so? I don't think Europe allowed Iraq to ignore the terms more than the US did. Prove me wrong.

woiyo wrote:
This govt had little confidence in the abilities of the Inspection team which I too had ZERO confidence in.

I know. Why trust the UN when you have reliable intelligence from satellite pictures at your hands that is so much better what inspectors on the ground have to tell you, right?

woiyo wrote:
That lack of confidence was "rewarded" when the world found out that some European nations, probably yours, became involved in supporting Iraqs effort to circumvent the terms of surrender as well as the so called "oil for food" program.

Didn't the Committee on the Oil for Food scandal report mention that US oil purchases accounted for 52% of the kickbacks paid to the regime in return for sales of cheap oil - more than the rest of the world put together? You must have forgotten about that one, too.

woiyo wrote:
This is a tired argument that rational people can agree to disagree. I doubt your objectivity and ability to be rational.

Yep. Why talk about the facts when they are so easily ignored, right?

woiyo wrote:
When a US President is faced with evidence that points to a clear and present danger to the US, it is his responsibility to remove that threat.

I don't even disagree with you on this point. I just happen to disagree with the assessment of "clear and present danger to the US" that Iraq allegedly posed.

woiyo wrote:
He did.

We know.

woiyo wrote:
However, once that threat is removed, it is our obligation to our troops to leave and leave the rebuilding to others.

Even though I still don't know which threat you are talking about, I'd be interested in your opinion about whose task it should be to do the rebuilding. Europe? The Middle East? The Iraqis?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 09:27 am
woiyo wrote

Quote:

I will leave you with this thought.
We broke it and it is our obligation to fix it.

woiyo wrote
Quote:
This govt. had little confidence in the abilities of the Inspection team which I too had ZERO confidence in.

What do you think of the ability of this government to achieve it's stated goals? I would say it has been successful in spreading and fostering terrorism. Was that one of Bush's goals?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 09:29 am
old europe wrote:
woiyo wrote:

How so? I don't think Europe allowed Iraq to ignore the terms more than the US did. Prove me wrong.

woiyo wrote:
This govt had little confidence in the abilities of the Inspection team which I too had ZERO confidence in.

I know. Why trust the UN when you have reliable intelligence from satellite pictures at your hands that is so much better what inspectors on the ground have to tell you, right?

woiyo wrote:
That lack of confidence was "rewarded" when the world found out that some European nations, probably yours, became involved in supporting Iraqs effort to circumvent the terms of surrender as well as the so called "oil for food" program.

Didn't the Committee on the Oil for Food scandal report mention that US oil purchases accounted for 52% of the kickbacks paid to the regime in return for sales of cheap oil - more than the rest of the world put together? You must have forgotten about that one, too.

woiyo wrote:

Yep. Why talk about the facts when they are so easily ignored, right?

woiyo wrote:

I don't even disagree with you on this point. I just happen to disagree with the assessment of "clear and present danger to the US" that Iraq allegedly posed.

woiyo wrote:
He did.

We know.

woiyo wrote:

Even though I still don't know which threat you are talking about, I'd be interested in your opinion about whose task it should be to do the rebuilding. Europe? The Middle East? The Iraqis?

People who "think" like you bore me with your refusal to accet that facts as they WERE AT THAT TIME.

1. Mainly France and Russia, and Muslim Nations such as Pakistan, Syria, Egypt and SA provided IRaq "safe harbor" after the Kuwait invasion and used their influence on the UN, while CLinton did not fight back, in allowing Iraq to ignore the terms of surrender.

2. Leaders like Tony Blair among others support the intelligence at that time and even provided some of it. Would England purposely privide the US and the UN with false information?

3. Your information RE: Oil for Food is wrong. US interest had some, but peruse the attached.
http://www.acepilots.com/unscam/archives/000773.html

4. How about the Iraqi people with the help of the UN???
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 09:39 am
woiyo wrote:
Quote:
However, once that threat is removed, it is our obligation to our troops to leave and leave the rebuilding to others

old europe wrote:
Quote:
even though I still don't know which threat you are talking about, I'd be interested in your opinion about whose task it should be to do the rebuilding. Europe? The Middle East? The Iraqis?

Why Should anyone cleanup the mess that this administration manufactured?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 09:47 am
woiyo wrote:
Your information RE: Oil for Food is wrong. US interest had some, but peruse the attached.
http://www.acepilots.com/unscam/archives/000773.html

You provide a year-old link to a rightwing blog in order to show me that my info is wrong? You ARE living in some sort of phantasy world, aren't you? Here, try this link to the Guardian:

US 'backed illegal Iraqi oil deals'

Here's a snippet:

Quote:
"The United States was not only aware of Iraqi oil sales which violated UN sanctions and provided the bulk of the illicit money Saddam Hussein obtained from circumventing UN sanctions," the report said. "On occasion, the United States actually facilitated the illicit oil sales.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 09:54 am
woiyo wrote:
4. How about the Iraqi people with the help of the UN???

Aaaah, another gem. The US invaded Iraq, without UN mandate, and without Iraq being a threat to the US, and bombed the country back into the stone age. Parts of Iraq are still without electricity or water. Roads and brigdes are still in a state of destruction. Not that travelling would be easy with an ongoing insurgency in the first place.

So whose responsibilty is it to rebuild the cities and the infrastructructure? Oh, sure the Iraqis' and the UN's!!!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 10:36 am
U.N. report: No shortage of terrorism recruits worldwide

Monday, September 19, 2005; Posted: 10:23 p.m. EDT (02:23 GMT)

(CNN) -- In a videotape that aired Monday on the Arabic-language TV network Al-Jazeera, Osama bin Laden's top lieutenant, Ayman al-Zawahiri, downplayed U.S. efforts in Afghanistan and again claimed responsibility for the July bombings in London.

Quote:
Meanwhile, a United Nations panel of experts issued a report Monday saying there is no shortage of recruits for terrorism worldwide and that Iraq has provided new training ground for them, replacing al Qaeda bases lost in Afghanistan.

"Al Qaeda has managed to recover from the loss of Afghanistan as a training base for terrorism by exploiting the situation in Iraq," the report said.

The report was the third by an expert panel set up by the U.N. Security Council to monitor al Qaeda, the Taliban and their associates.

Recruits travel to Iraq from many parts of the world, "acquire skills in urban warfare, bomb-making, assassination and suicide attacks," and return to integrate with local fighters in their home countries, the report said.

One certainly cannot claim that the war in Iraq is not a success. Least of all the terrorists.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 06:44 am
Somehow I hoped woiyo wouldn't have abandoned this thread when faced with facts contrary to his.... Maybe too much to expect, though.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 06:47 am
old europe wrote:
Somehow I hoped woiyo wouldn't have abandoned this thread when faced with facts contrary to his.... Maybe too much to expect, though.

I only abandoned trying to open the mind of one who is unwilling to be objective about the issue.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 06:49 am
I only tried posting some more recent information than what you had at hand as a base for discussion. Have you followed the links?
0 Replies