Hate crime that wasn't called one.

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 06:54 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Baldimo,

If anyone thinks it was ok because they were white and might have been calling him names, then I wouldn't put much stock in anything they have to say. I have been called racist, elitist, sexist, idolator, etc., on these threads. They might have ticked me off, but because someone calls me a name, no matter what color or race I am, never gives me the right to meet that with violence. No one has that right.

If someone takes a shot at you, you have the right to shoot back in my opinion.
We don't know what really happened. JB has added some background.
We were not there. We don't know.

It would take an extreme circumstance for me to shoot someone in the back.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 07:14 pm
J_B wrote:
Here's a recent Chicago Tribune article about the on-going feuds.

Quote:
he Hmong immigrant killed 6 hunters on a crisp Wisconsin day, but why?

By Colleen Mastony
Tribune staff reporter
Published September 7, 2005

They met by chance, amid the towering pines and sugar maples of northern Wisconsin.

The two men--one white, the other Laotian--came from vastly different worlds, but each found peace and a sense of purpose hunting in the woods.

Terry Willers was a construction contractor who settled in a town less than 30 miles from where he grew up. He hunted every year with the same tightknit group on land he co-owned with a friend.

Chai Vang had escaped from war-ravaged Laos as a child and settled in St. Paul, where he earned a reputation as a hard worker and served as a shaman, a spiritual leader in his community.

Had the two met anywhere else, they likely would have passed each other without much more than a glance. In the woods, though, everything was different.

For centuries, people have fought to control the rugged wilderness that blankets Sawyer County. In recent years, tensions have flared between the Hmong, whose culture has no tradition of property rights, and the white locals who cherish the right to own--and defend--their land.

Those who live in the North Woods call deer season "holy week," or "the sacred nine days." The echo of gunshots over the hills sounds as normal as a heartbeat, a regular, reassuring thump signaling all is well. But on this day, rifle fire was followed by screams of people running for their lives.

About noon on a cold Sunday in November, when Vang crossed into forestland that belonged to Willers, he touched off a series of events that would leave six people dead and two others wounded.

Some of what happened remains clear and uncontested.

Willers spotted Vang sitting in a tree stand and told him to leave. Then Willers radioed others in his hunting party, who sped to the scene on all-terrain vehicles and confronted Vang.

But that's where the clarity ends. Each side tells a different story, and each says the other fired first.

A trial is set to begin Thursday for Vang, who has pleaded not guilty to six counts of murder and three counts of attempted murder.

He has said the hunters surrounded him and hurled racial slurs, calling him "chink" and "gook." Someone then shot at him, he says, and he fired back, chasing some of the hunters through the trees and shooting them in the back.

"Some of them, I say I feel sorry for," Vang said in a telephone interview from jail. "Some of them, I say they deserved [it] because they don't know how to talk to me like they should be, shoot me the way they do."

But the men who survived have told police that Vang was walking away from the hunters when he turned and opened fire.

"I don't remember any racial slurs," said one survivor, Lauren Hesebeck. "What if there were? Does that give you the right to shoot people?"

The paths that led to the explosive encounter crossed many years and places, from a refugee camp in Thailand after the Vietnam War to a patch of Wisconsin wilderness where two friends dreamed of building a cabin.

These stories show how the two groups came together in the woods, but they also raise difficult questions.

Why would an ambitious immigrant, a healer, suddenly turn into a methodical killer?

Did the alienation Vang experienced in America play a role in the shootings? Was the clash of cultures a factor?

More:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/specials/chi-0509070252sep07,1,2468369.story

Typical of some. He killed someone so he must have had a troubled life. It couldn't just be that he acted on impulses that he has always had. It couldn't be that he just didn't like white people. No he has to have some sort of deep troubling issues and he just snapped. If this were the other way around it would have been a hate crime pure and simple.

The man has lived in the US for over 20 years and knows how this country works. He could very well have just said they called him names because it would be very easy to believe in this country. I don't know if some of you have noticed but you have been calling this dead people red necks and you don't even know if that is true or not. They hunt and own guns so they must be racist red necks.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 07:29 pm
No, I said the background stories last year were full of talk of rednecks and slant-eyes. The article I posted is from last week and didn't mention either term that I noticed. I also mentioned that I know enough rednecks to imagine how something small can turn into something big and ugly.

From the recent article it started out one-on-one until Willers got on the radio and called in his friends. Then it was eight against one and got very ugly indeed.

Don't think I'm saying Vang was entitled to act as he did, I'm not saying that at all. I think this was a tragedy any way you look at it. Six people are dead and another will spend his life in prison. I think there probably was hatred and racism involved. I'm not sure the hatred was in only one direction. I also have no idea what constitute a hate crime in WI or what additional, if any, consequence is invoke beyond life in prison.

The jury heard both sides of the story. Only three people know who shot first, Vang and the two survivors. Either story is plausable to me.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 07:30 pm
Baldimo,

I meant do disrespect when I said rednecks. It's true, I don't know if these guys were or not. I do know that Wisconsin does have a few. But what state doesn't have rednecks? I kind of like the Jeff Foxworthy thing about rednecks. I don't see them as racists. Redneck to me is just someone who lives in the country and lives a pretty simple life. Heck, you could probably call me one.

But I agree with you on the "he must have had a troubled background" issue. Who the heck hasn't? I have never felt it an excuse for any wrongdoing whatsoever. When I read he had been in the National Guard, that took all my sympathy away from him. The military teaches pretty high standards. They also teach that words are nothing and actions speak. So, I think you are right. He was just an angry man that took advantage of a situation to let it go. I'm afraid I would have to agree with you that it probably was a hate crime. The evidence seems to point to that, doesn't it? The fact that he shot someone in the back just totally blows me away. You would have to hate to do something like that. I just can't see doing it for much of any other reasons. So, I apologize about the redneck remark but I never meant they were racist. Not by any means.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 09:29 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Hate crimes laws carry a stiffer sentence don't they? If so why wasn't he charged for a hate crime?

We've already dealt with this. Wisconsin does not have the death penalty. Therefore, the worst punishment is life in prison, which is exactly what he got for first degree murder.

He killed six men. Five were unarmed. He got the ultimate penalty possible in the State of Wisconsin.

So I must ask you, once more: What is your point?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 09:36 pm
This was a hate crime and it wasn't stated as one. It should have been. My point is that society only thinks that white people kill because of ones race and as we can see in this case it just isn't true.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 09:38 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Why do we have hate crime laws then? Isn't murder just plain murder.

Yes it is. Hate crime laws are redundant and stupid and only add more layers of bullshit parsing as far as the law is concerned. I don't know for sure who is to blame for hate crime laws, but personally, I think it's all Oprah's fault.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 09:41 pm
Baldimo,
This wasn't a hate crime.
It was a fear crime.

It's a sad story all around.

Justice, American style has been served.

Let it go.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 09:46 pm
A fear crime? That is complete BS. There was one rifle between 8 people and he was afraid? I say he was hunting whitey.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 09:49 pm
Ok, I am confused. Was he the only one with a rifle? The others (the ones that were shot) didn't have guns? If they didn't have guns, then how could Vang have said 'they' shot first? I am sorry for my confusion.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 09:49 pm
What does whitey meat sell for in Wisconsin ?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 09:50 pm
are we sure about the one gun among 8 guys story? Why the hell were they out there in the first place? looking for Ivory Billed peckers?
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 09:56 pm
farmerman wrote:
are we sure about the one gun among 8 guys story? Why the hell were they out there in the first place? looking for Ivory Billed peckers?

They hunt them with spitballs up there FM.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 09:56 pm
I am pulling up the trial story. Maybe it will answer some questions.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 10:09 pm
Ok, this is what I found.

www.courttv.com then click on trials and the Vang Verdict. The danged link wouldn't work.

"The 36-year-old St. Paul man claimed he opened fire after one of the hunters fired at him first as he was walking away from the confrontation.

But, it also states: "By Vang's own admissions, no one in the group physically threatened him with violence."

"Four of the six victims were shot from behind as they fled, and Vang testified that three of them deserved to die for the "disrespect" they had shown him in hurling racial epithets at him and refusing to let him leave peacefully."

To me, that's sounds kind of contradictory. He admits no one physically threatened him, but then he says one shot at him? So, it appears there may have been some "hate" going on between both sides. That is, if you believe the defendant and not the survivors. The fact that he shot four of the six victims in the back leads me to believe there was a lot more going on in Vang's mind than someone just calling him names. And who deserves to die just because they disrespect someone? If this were true, I'd say none of us would be here.

I'm afraid I'm leaning on believing this guy took out his own hate and anger on the first "group or person" that hit him just right.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 10:30 pm
MoAn, and Baldimo,

Have you travelled to other countries ? Have you ever seen the viewpoint of folks of the rest of the world from their persective ?

Most Americans are so isolated as to not understand what is going on around the rest of the globe.

Mr. Vang grew up in a country very strange to us. He came to a country very strange to him.

I cannot defend his actions, but there is more to this story than courttv is telling.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 10:31 pm
There was only one rifle between the 8 of them there shot. I could see a crime of fear if they all had weapons but that isn't the case.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 10:35 pm
Mr Vang did not know that they only had one rifle between them.
If it had been me, I would have assumed that they were all loaded. For bear or otherwise.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 10:49 pm
Everybody is playing a guessing game of what happened. Can't be done without having all the facts. Even in a court of law, it depends on the "preponderance" of evidence. Without knowing 1) how many guns were present, 2) who shot first, and 3) if threats were made by the eight men, it would be almost impossible to arrive at a reasonable conclusion.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 10:51 pm
LionTamerX Wrote:

Quote:
MoAn, and Baldimo,

Have you travelled to other countries ? Have you ever seen the viewpoint of folks of the rest of the world from their persective ?

Most Americans are so isolated as to not understand what is going on around the rest of the globe.

Mr. Vang grew up in a country very strange to us. He came to a country very strange to him.

I cannot defend his actions, but there is more to this story than courttv is telling.

I might be able to see his side a little better if he had not lived in this country for twenty years and had been part of the National Guard, etc. I understand he had a rough life. But, when do you stop using the "abuse excuse". It's not what people do to you that makes you what you are, it is what you do with what they did to you. You can grow from it or you can use it as a crutch. I am not saying this is what he did. I am just saying I think that if he has been in this country for twenty years and done all that he had done, shouldn't there be a point to where what happened when he was a child stops being a reason for what he does now?
0 Replies