No Hmmming and Hawing - Which Would You Choose?

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 09:40 am
Quote:
Power crews diverted
Restoring pipeline came first

By Nikki Davis Maute

Shortly after Hurricane Katrina roared through South Mississippi knocking out electricity and communication systems, the White House ordered power restored to a pipeline that sends fuel to the Northeast.
That order - to restart two power substations in Collins that serve Colonial Pipeline Co. - delayed efforts by at least 24 hours to restore power to two rural hospitals and a number of water systems in the Pine Belt.

At the time, gasoline was in short supply across the country because of Katrina. Prices increased dramatically and lines formed at pumps across the South.

"I considered it a presidential directive to get those pipelines operating," said Jim Compton, general manager of the South Mississippi Electric Power Association - which distributes power that rural electric cooperatives sell to consumers and businesses.

"I reluctantly agreed to pull half our transmission line crews off other projects and made getting the transmission lines to the Collins substations a priority," Compton said. "Our people were told to work until it was done.

"They did it in 16 hours, and I consider the effort unprecedented."

Katrina slammed into South Mississippi and Southeast Louisiana on Aug. 29, causing widespread devastation and plunging most of the area - including regional medical centers and rural hospitals - into darkness.

The storm also knocked out two power substations in Collins, just north of Hattiesburg. The substations were crucial to Atlanta-based Colonial Pipeline, which moves gasoline and diesel fuel from Texas, through Louisiana and Mississippi and up to the Northeast.

"We were led to believe a national emergency was created when the pipelines were shut down," Compton said.

White House call

Dan Jordan, manager of Southern Pines Electric Power Association, said Vice President Dick Cheney's office called and left voice mails twice shortly after the storm struck, saying the Collins substations needed power restored immediately.

Jordan dated the first call the night of Aug. 30 and the second call the morning of Aug. 31. Southern Pines supplies electricity to the substation that powers the Colonial pipeline.

Mississippi Public Service Commissioner Mike Callahan said the U.S. Department of Energy called him on Aug. 31. Callahan said department officials said opening the fuel line was a national priority.

READ THE REST HERE

You have to choose one or the other. Which do you choose, gas lines or hospitals? Why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 602 • Replies: 14
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 10:35 am
It is not that simple.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 10:47 am
I didn't say it was simple, I merely asked which one it would be if YOU had to choose and why you would make that choice.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 10:57 am
We can walk.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 11:00 am
With the information I have from the article (didn't read the complete just what was posted), I would choose hospitals. Seems that to cause higher gas prices in the short term is less important than saving even one life.

On the surface, it would appear that the decision was made because it would help more people whereas the hospital is helping just people in a little area. However that being said, not sure what the repercussions are by not having the gas lines for a couple of days. Could it have a greater impact on harming lives than a hospital? Doesn't seem so at least on the surface.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 11:02 am
Yes, but trucks that bring us the goods we need up and down the east coast travel on gas /deisel.

I suppose we could have had trucks bring things in from the Midwest that aren't on the same pipeline and weren't facing the same shortage...

We could have done without Florida Orange Juice or NC cigarettes for a few days. Not sure what other commodities would have been limited.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 11:11 am
Yes but less people driving allows for more gas for the trucks.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 11:16 am
This is a little tougher than the New Orleans vs. Iraq conundrum. I'd like to think that I would choose hospitals, but if I were president I think I might be worried about long term effects of a short term fuel disruption.

While hospitals would be the humane move, the number of people affected by lack of power to the hospitals there would have been much smaller than the number of people who might have been effected by fuel shortages. I know that sounds callous. I'm ducking now, you guys go ahead and throw stuff.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 11:16 am
True, Bella. And, I gladly would have walked knowing someone might be back on a ventilator because of it and the nurse hand pumping oxygen could then move on to other nursing duties.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 11:39 am
It's much easier to make a decision when you are an A2K user, freeduck than the President. You are right you need to weigh all the issues and to be honest I am not some one in the position to be able to really judge that decision. Perhaps it would be better if the reasons for the decision were communicate. Or the other way - Americans need to make some sort of concessions for a week, as we are fixing the hospitals so 20 people who would of died will live or something like that.

I also wonder - how many people were in these hospitals at the time - did they move any? What were their conditions? Perhaps it wasn't as a great a need?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 11:51 am
squinney wrote:
True, Bella. And, I gladly would have walked knowing someone might be back on a ventilator because of it and the nurse hand pumping oxygen could then move on to other nursing duties.

Sad That is such a sad picture....
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 11:52 am
Did Cheneys office know how many people were in the hospitals, or how many others would have had electricity that then might have survived when he made the call?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 12:13 pm
I've read excruciating stories about at least two hospitals, one named Charity Hospital and the other, just yesterday in the NYTimes, called, I think, Methodist Hospital. I put a link for that on another thread, forget which one.

I'd pick hospitals re the immediate need.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 12:36 pm
I tend to think the same 24 hours spent getting hospitals online for power wouldn't have made that big of a difference in the availability of gas.

No idea what the economic cost would have been in that 24 hours, but then what's a life worth?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 12:40 pm
When I talk about economic consequences, I don't mean just that we all run out of gas. I mean the consequences of grounded airplanes, people stranded, goods not being able to be moved, that sort of thing. And I agree for the most part that 24 hours wouldn't seem to make that big of a difference.
0 Replies