The Getty Museum, Los Angeles

littlek

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:34 pm
Who's been there ? Is it as cool as it seems to be? Is it worth a long distance trip? How about the old Getty Museum in Malibu?

http://www.getty.edu/museum/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,024 • Replies: 17
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:52 pm
I am chock full of opinions, on both. The one in Malibu, which I have long loved and has been long closed, is a place I am fond of, though I have only been there once or twice - it is (was) the kind of place you attach to.

A fellow who had some original involvement, a long time ago, in the malibu site came to my lecture on Tuscany about ten years ago. He very sweetly conversed with me, aged knowledgeable person and me, the infant middle aged enthusiast. He was an expert in old Roman gardens, old, like a dozen feet under present earth.

I have some family involvement on the building of the new getty, and I won't go on about that here, but, I did get to see it in the building process and have some cool pics.

I've further followed it because of the controversy about - first about lopping off the top of the mountain (grrrr) - Robert Irwin's central garden and Richard Meier's contretemps with him and with Thierry Dupont (or something like that) who did the Getty interiors.

At one point I had all these articles piled up and rambled on about it all a bit myself, don't get me started.

However, I do like some whole parts of it. Trouble is those parts don't mesh.

The Getty is in period of questioning about finances now, haven't followed that closely. I don't think it's too serious, but then again, I don't know.

I have been enthused about their research facilities as I understand them. I have friends who had big degrees who worked there for little recompense, pre and during the building of the new place, at other quarters. I'll take their gripes with a grain of salt but not too much salt, given the gigantic expenditures on the facility.

My land arch pals and I are still mad they didn't build it differently.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:55 pm
Thanks Osso! I didn't know about the lopping off of the mountain top. I could see how the parts don't mesh fluidly.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 08:15 pm
I have a sculptor friend, a woman I really admire, another story, who hasn't put her foot on the property because of the lopping mountain business.

I combine my anger about that with my anger about a pond with a mickeymouse shape filled with constantly renewed pots of azaleas... azaleas in this ecosystem?... and little sparks fly from my ears.

However, as I said, I like some of it, you know me.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 09:12 pm
Mmmm, and hauling over how ever many tons of marble from Italy kind of chaps me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 09:18 pm
Travertine...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 09:20 pm
Yeah, that rock.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 09:43 pm
Thing was, to me it was wrong. Bright, near white, top of hill, blaring sun... glare on courtyard. Glare, you couldn't be there when I was sans sunglasses.

WTF did that have to do with LA, re hacienda architecture, or the hills, oh, be quiet, osso.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 10:11 pm
Big, glaring footprint....

So, are the contents cool, then? And the restoration operations - good?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 10:27 pm
Contents of the getty always cool.

restoration ops, you are talking of Malibu? there is some buzz about that, locally.

re research elsewhere on the planet, which they used to do, I don't know.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 10:56 pm
Osso
Osso, I love the old Getty Museum. It was a replica of an ancient roman house with a central garden filled with ancient statuary. I was only able to visit once many years ago. Drove from the Bay Area to Malibu with a friend. At that time, you had to book reservations to get into the museum because of very limited parking.

After I had been through all of the rooms and the gardens, I spent my remaining time rummaging through their print bins where, to my delight, I found a dusty rare copy of one of my favorite paintings: Peter Paul Rubens Four Negro Heads, which I purchased. Of course, you can now buy this print on the internet.

http://www.printfinders.com/product/artwork.exe?ArtworkID=2060&thumbs=1&productid=2064

BBB
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 11:03 pm
The most common complaint is of the glaring white building. Still want to see it for the art inside.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 11:04 pm
Yeh, Villa Pietra, I understand.

Some of my more well to do than me by very far friends live close to there. I can't claim anything but liking it when I visited; oh, and meeting the older gentleman.

Glad, bbb, that you got your print...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 11:09 pm
The glare that Diane is speaking of - to clarify if anyone is confused, is with the new buildings for the new getty, with the travertine surfaces, and ground plane. Sunglass city. Well, the trees will grow, and have, since I saw them last, presumably.

The old getty, in Malibu, was nestled.
Last I saw it, that is.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 11:17 pm
Er. I realize I land here with a big plop at the new getty, and don't mean to shut off more positive takes from people without my own load of background.

Now that the place is there, I'd like it to succeed. Am interested in the good stuff..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 11:20 pm
Among the good things, at least at the time, was the state of the art 'natural' lighting system - I presume there are a lot of websites on that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 11:38 pm
reviewing the thread, I see me needing attention, me, me, me. True, I've spent some time thinking about the place(s).
but thousands of others have too. Lots has been written about the new getty, and now, I assume, about the old.

But the places are more than the websites or buildings visitors walk into. The Getty is rich, as far as I know, not only in dollars and structure, but in depth of research/collection. And there lies my interest...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 06:14 pm
This little book for kids is by an author/illustrator pair I like. It's how I know anything about the Getty. Or how I first knew anything - I've since looked online.

http://www.getty.edu/bookstore/images-lg/going-to-getty-lg.jpg
0 Replies