ehBeth

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:20 pm
I'm planning my next NYC trip and a colleague suggested looking at some of the vacation rentals on craigslist. I've checked out a couple of listings and they seem almost surreally good.

Is it possible?

Has anyone else here gone this route yet?

Good/bad/ugly/never heard of craigslist?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 4,528 • Replies: 22
No top replies

fishin

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:27 pm
Hmmm.. Most of the vacation rentals I've seen on there have been way over-priced. Maybe your planning coincides with a major slow period in NYC. *shrugs*
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:31 pm
Something's very weird.

Having a REALLY hard time finding a hotel room with a private bathroom (and without bunkbeds) for under $300/night. It's Sukkot, so a fairly busy travel time.

Finding AMAZING places on craigslist between $120 and $200/night.

Puzzled.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:37 pm
Well, I don't know about NYC but I've seen a few ads for the Boston area and some of them are nothing more than some college student renting out their apartment on weekends when they are out of town (or hanging out elsewhere for the weekend..). Maybe the same sort of thing is going on there?

I've been pretty skeptical of shelling out any big $$ on there because it's to easy for scam artists to hide behinde anon e-mail addys.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:45 pm
Huh, just looked. There are a lot of much better deals in NYC than there are for greater Boston. Heck, go for it!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:45 pm
I dunno.

Some of them are clearly "use my apt/loft while I'm outta town", others seem to be using craigslist as an alternate way to advertise a B&B or something similar, others have good websites to link to.

People seem to be fairly well with the jobs portion of craigslist, so I'm going to keep exploring - maybe call a couple of the places over the next coupla days.

I'm intrigued. If any of these are for real - they're major slamdunks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the April trip, I followed a gut instinct on staying at the sailor's mission that worked out marvellously - hoping my instincts work as well this time.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:47 pm
hehehehehe

crosspost :wink:

some of those look good, don't they
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 08:55 pm
I've been the queen of craigslist the last few months -- have been getting most of my jobs through them, and also just bought an absolutely gorgeous solid cherry mission-style headboard for $150!!

That said, I've also been scammed. (One job offer that seemed too good to be true, and was.)

From looking at a whole lot of stuff, I think it definitely happens a lot that people have something, and want to just *get rid of it* without a lot of hassle and so do go ahead and sell it cheap.

This doesn't quite fall under that category. I'll look around that section and see if I can get a feel for things.

For one thing, as a very general rule of thumb, if there are a LOT of deals, that tends to be more trustworthy than if you come across one or two. I'm finding at least one amazing furniture deal per day on craigslist (so far have limited myself to the headboard [it's SO gorgeous!!!], but came very close to buying a 1920's hutch for $75 -- decided that while it was cool I simply didn't need it), but the job scam was anomalous (I was new to job searching at the time).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 09:13 pm
oh yeah! I'd love to get your gut reaction to some of the postings, soz.

I've been emailing with a couple of people over the last two days.
One is just finished decorating a unit - emailed me photos of another unit she 's decorated so I can get a sense of space/style. The vibe of the emails and pix has been good.

<my coworker/co-traveller is gonna think this is a weird idea, but she knows to expect weird from me>
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 09:17 pm
I gotta get to bed, but will nose around tomorrow morning.

Nighty-night...
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 09:21 pm
my buddy makes a living via craigslist - and a pretty good one at that
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 08:04 am
OK, looked around, that's what I'M doing next time I got to NYC...! (Actually, I have a few people who can host me, but it looks better than I expected.)

The "lot of deals" rule of thumb seems to hold true, the prices are roughly consistent for the same sort of situation (1 br, "hosted", etc.) and there are a lot of them.

I guess with each invidual situation you'd just have to get a feel for the sincerity of the person you're dealing with, as presumably you'll only be able to check out the place when you show up on the doorstep.

But overall it looks really promising. I can't believe how many there are listed for today alone. Wow!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 08:27 am
One of the links is to this company, might be easier to investigate a whole company (compaints, BBB standing, etc.) than one individual person.

http://www.urbanlegendny.com/

Prices are also presumably higher though since there's a middleman.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 09:56 am
Thanks for taking a look-see, Sozobe (and the additional link).

As soon as I stop barking, I'm going to call the one I get the particularly good vibe about.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:49 am
Did it. Booked a place through craigslist.
I'll let ya know if it works out as amazingly as it seems.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:51 am
Sure hope so!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 11:18 am
Definitely an interesting process.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 12:05 pm
Checked it out, very interesting..
0 Replies

blue1

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 01:04 am
Re: craigslist for travel?
ehBeth wrote:
I'm planning my next NYC trip and a colleague suggested looking at some of the vacation rentals on craigslist. I've checked out a couple of listings and they seem almost surreally good.

Is it possible?

Has anyone else here gone this route yet?

Good/bad/ugly/never heard of craigslist?

I never heard of craigslist.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 11:49 am
The place we stayed in - discovered through craigslist <thank you, Randi !> - was fantastic.

Upper East Side, one block from Central Park - just about even with the north end of the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir, around the corner from a Dean and Deluca outpost, walking distance to the 86 stop on the 6 line. Doorman building. Nice clean linens. Quiet at night.

I'll definitely consider searching for a vacation rental through craigslist in the future.

~~~~~~

All the time that sozobe was talking about it <initially>, I thought it was strictly a job site.
0 Replies