Governor considers fees for protesters who get arrested

au1929

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 11:06 am
Minnesota governor considers fees for protesters who get arrested

Critic calls idea 'un-American'

From Sasha Johnson
CNN Washington Bureau
Wednesday, April 2, 2003 Posted: 12:41 PM EST (1741 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Protesters in Minnesota could find it expensive to champion their cause if the governor there has his way.
Republican Gov. Tim Pawlenty is considering a proposal that would require demonstrators who get arrested to foot a portion of the bill for the time it takes police to place them in custody.
The idea -- not yet submitted to the state legislature -- comes in the wake of arrests of about 90 antiwar demonstrators in the Minneapolis area last week.
A spokeswoman for the governor said it's a matter of scarce resources and that anti-war protesters are not being targeted.
"This is not in any way just about antiwar protesters," Pawlenty's spokeswoman Leslie Kupchella said. "The governor doesn't think getting arrested should be used as a public relations tactic." She said many protesters deliberately get arrested and that is an expense to local communities and the state.
Critics are not so sure. One said the governor's support of the U.S.-led war in Iraq is the impetus for the idea.
"This is frankly a tactic the communist Chinese use: they make you pay for the cost of prosecution. It's un-American," said Charles Samuelson, executive director of the Minnesota Civil Liberties Union. If the governor moves forward with the legislation, Samuelson said he should be prepared to treat demonstrators whose opinions he shares in the same manner.
Kupchella said the legislation, if drafted, would extend beyond antiwar protesters to include members of any group who purposefully put themselves in the position of being arrested.
On Friday, Pawlenty sent a letter to Chief Justice Kathleen Blatz suggesting demonstrators cover the cost of their arrests.
"While people have a right to free speech, they do not have a right to a free arrest," the governor wrote. "Restitution would not need to be in the full amount of the cost of the arrest, but the principle of restitution in such circumstances is important."
Kupchella said the governor is considering a fee of $200 to $300 for protesters who get arrested.
Minnesota, like most states, is dealing with difficult economic times. State officials are projecting a $4.2 billion budget shortfall and are facing mounting homeland security costs. In his letter, the governor cited "limited resources" and said the money to pay for arrests could be used instead for homeland security expenses.
It's not clear how such a bill would be received in the Minnesota State Legislature. Republicans control the state House, but Democrats hold a slight edge in the state Senate.
Pawlenty could decide his next step by the end of the week when a majority of the arrested demonstrators are expected in court.

Should they be made to pay if they commited an illegal act? Is the governor on the right track?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/04/02/sprj.irq.minnesota.protesters/index.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,843 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 11:21 am
I think that it is a very bad idea. American are entitled to protest. I think it would be a very divisive practice. If the state needs money, let them cut out some of the "bloat" in government,
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 11:29 am
I think well in my opinion - it's OK to protest but when things get physical or abusive or someone infringes on my rights to drive down a street, cross a bridge or get an ambulance to where I'm having a heart attack, I think things got to change. If you want to have a peaceful protest that does not infringe on the above then I'm OK with that.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 12:11 pm
Peace Activists Etiquette (from an email)
Retracted - BillW posted here:

http://able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5285&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=220
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 12:16 pm
one does not follow the other?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 12:18 pm
husker... yuk. If Saddam sent those planes into the WTC, maybe. He didn't, and not even Bush says he did.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 12:27 pm
I am sure you must realize that the governor is only addressing people who are arrested as a result of an illegal action. Not those who are staging a peaceful protest
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 12:32 pm
au1929- I understand your point, but I still can't agree. What about people who are arrested for fighting in a bar on Saturday night, because one of them tried to hit on the other ones' girlfriend?

By making people pay for being arrested for war protesting, even if there is injury, is to abrogate people's rights. Now if the guy at the bar had to pay...................
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 12:44 pm
Phoenix Question Question
Quote:
By making people pay for being arrested for war protesting, even if there is injury, is to abrogate people's rights

explain how so more?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 12:47 pm
Phoenix
Call it a fine not a fee. How does that strike you?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 12:59 pm
If the protesters assault someone, then they should be charged with assault, just like the guy at the bar, and possibly fined. The point that I am making that there should not be "special" fines for protesting!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 01:09 pm
I agree, Phoenix.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 01:09 pm
au1929 wrote:
I am sure you must realize that the governor is only addressing people who are arrested as a result of an illegal action. Not those who are staging a peaceful protest

Step one, enact the law.....step two redefine what protest is and continue to refine the definition until it's against the law to wear a t shirt they don't like.

You don't think Hitler just woke up one day and decided to open Auschwitz do you?

The erosion and eventual suspension of individual freedoms is a slow, well planned , well executed process which always sneaks ups on a populace to busy watching the circus and eating the bread to pay attention.

Rhetoric and purposeful ignorance...the two most dangerous enemies we face.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 04:01 pm
Bi-Polar Bear
How would you define lying down in the middle of the road and stopping traffic and all commerce for several hours. Peaceful protest? If an arrest is made does it deserve a slap on the wrist and a goodbye or something more meaningful as punishment. My attitude is if you do the crime you serve the time. In this instance pay for your civil disobedience.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 04:02 pm
I thought that the fee for getting arrested was called bail....
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 04:08 pm
how illegal was it for Rosa Parks to sit in a seat that was designated for whites only? was that civil disobedience? what would the fine have been? should she have gone to jail?
0 Replies

owi

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 04:20 pm
2 examples what Ghandi said about civil disobedience:

Civil disobedience is the assertion of a right which law should give but which it denies.

Civil disobedience becomes a sacred duty when the State becomes lawless corrupt.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 04:46 pm
littlek
Bail is only to assure that you show up for the trial. It is returned to you.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 05:32 pm
Quote:
How would you define lying down in the middle of the road and stopping traffic and all commerce for several hours.

I would call it "disturbing the peace", and there are laws against that. What I don't understand, au, is why do you seem to want to make anti-war demonstrations a separate crime?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 06:27 pm
Phoenix32890
I am not looking to make it a separate crime. It is just that that happens to be the subject of discussion. The reason for the protest is irrelevant the action of the protesters is the only thing meaningful
0 Replies