Can one be Gay and Christian?

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 09:07 pm
Okay, so I realize that there are places in the bible that condemn homoseuxals. But the Bible is ambiguous anyway, and its ambiguity hasn't stopped me yet from finding good reasons to remain a christian, like the obvious charity and love that is the central focus of the religion.

But my question is this, in todays world is it possible to be gay and christian. I ask because many Christian groups would marginalize gays before they would marginalize many other groups. And in response to this, many gays have completely dissassociated themselves with Christianity.

You see, I was just at a Gay/Straight Alliance meeting at my university, and the group was talking about voting no on a ballot question that will repeal equal rights acts. This question was put on the ballot by right wing extremist Christian groups. And the leaders of the Alliance took it as a reason to bash all Christians. If gays generalize Christians, then they are no better than Christians generalizing them. I am bisexual and Christian, and I have found many ways to come to terms with the obvious conflict of interest, including forming my own beliefs about these issues and realizing that we can use the church as a guiding force but still make informed descisions for ourselves. Does anybody on this forum have an opinion on this matter?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,374 • Replies: 67
No top replies

LionTamerX

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 09:18 pm
dj,

My opinion (and that is all it is.) Is that yes you can be gay and christian, or bi and jewish etc.

It's a hard road, but one worth fighting for.

Carve your own niche and hold on to it.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 09:20 pm
I know several queens who would slap you silly if you dared to tell them that they were not Christians.
0 Replies

daniellejean

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 09:37 pm
Oh Im not saying they arent Christins. I am a bi christian and believe it is possible on a personal level. But why do we insist on casting labels one people that say you have to be one or the other. Some of my gay friends have basically said its a conflict of interest to try to be both. I say, I'm not trying to be anything. Im just trying to be me. Loving Jesus, attracted to women, knowing that He loves me anyway. I see it as simple. But the world doesn't *Sigh*
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 10:36 pm
The Bible, in both the Old and New Testaments, makes it clear that homosexual behavior is sin.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 10:41 pm
well someone needs to update the thing then!
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 10:45 pm
KiwiChic wrote:
well someone needs to update the thing then!

I suggest you talk to the Author about it.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 10:47 pm
...which one? :wink:
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 10:49 pm
KiwiChic wrote:
...which one? :wink:

I always say start at the Top.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 11:42 pm
You've got a pretty complex issue there, when you examine it. While lotsa folks focus on and disparage members of the LGBT community, and lobby to deny to those of alternative sexual orientation spiritual communion with and fellowship through some one or another particular institutionalized religious entity, they rather miss the point. So too, however, do those of alternate sexual orientation when they lobby for inclusion.

At core, it comes down to sexual practice, actual sexual activity - which is the theophilosophical breaking point. One may be of any sexual orientation and fulfill the requirements for incorporation into just about any religion. However, should one participate willingly in promiscuous or adulterous sexual behavior, actually engage in sexual activity other than monogamously and within the bonds of matrimony as sanctioned by that religious institution, one is in contravention of the principles of that religion.

There really is a very clear distinction there; what one might prefer to do and what one actually must do - or not do - may be entirely different things, and certainly may structure the moral and ethical eligibility of that one for inclusion within a religious institution. In the ancient texts and traditions foundational to The Theory of Christianity, that distinction is rendered clearly; "hate the sin, love the sinner". Specific biblical references anethamize alternate sexual practice - sexual activity other than that between partners to a sanctioned marriage.

Strictly speaking, an avowed Christian has no doctrinal basis from which to discriminate against one who is of alternative sexual orientation. However, the entire Abrahamic theophilosophical construct, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, proscribe alternative sexual practice.

Think it, but don't do it, and you're fine - essentially an absurdity, of course, but incontravertible, none the less. Of course, that's not the only absurdity burdening the concept of religion, but thats another discussion entirely.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 11:57 pm
timberlandko wrote:
You've got a pretty complex issue there, when you examine it. While lotsa folks focus on and disparage members of the LGBT community, and lobby to deny to those of alternative sexual orientation spiritual communion with and fellowship through some one or another particular institutionalized religious entity, they rather miss the point. So too, however, do those of alternate sexual orientation when they lobby for inclusion.

At core, it comes down to sexual practice, actual sexual activity - which is the theophilosophical breaking point. One may be of any sexual orientation and fulfill the requirements for incorporation into just about any religion. However, should one participate willingly in promiscuous or adulterous sexual behavior, actually engage in sexual activity other than monogamously and within the bonds of matrimony as sanctioned by that religious institution, one is in contravention of the principles of that religion.

There really is a very clear distinction there; what one might prefer to do and what one actually must do - or not do - may be entirely different things, and certainly may structure the moral and ethical eligibility of that one for inclusion within a religious institution. In the ancient texts and traditions foundational to The Theory of Christianity, that distinction is rendered clearly; "hate the sin, love the sinner". Specific biblical references anethamize alternate sexual practice - sexual activity other than that between partners to a sanctioned marriage.

Strictly speaking, an avowed Christian has no doctrinal basis from which to discriminate against one who is of alternative sexual orientation. However, the entire Abrahamic theophilosophical construct, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, proscribe alternative sexual practice.

Think it, but don't do it, and you're fine - essentially an absurdity, of course, but incontravertible, none the less. Of course, that's not the only absurdity burdening the concept of religion, but thats another discussion entirely.

Not according to Christ:

But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 12:11 am
You stretch a point there, RL - the matter of intent. One may appreciate, prefer, or desire a thing, being, cor condition without lusting after it. To regard another with lust is unchristian of course, but determinant there is lust. Without the intent or desire to satisfy one's attraction through lustful gratification, the conditions for sin remain unmet; temptation to sin is not a sin, volition in furtherance of fulfiling that temptation is the occasion of sin.
0 Replies

lightfoot

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 12:12 am
real life.
Now prove that this guy christ really said that, and it wasn't some trumped up dream by a 3 thousand year old sooth sayer-witch doctor... if it was said,ever at all! .... get real,real life.
0 Replies

daniellejean

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 05:56 am
Thank you timber for your insight. I just wonder, if one engages in a loving monogomous (sp?) relationship with someone of the same sex for their whole life, and in the case of MA, it is recognized by law as marriage, how is that different than a man and a woman? Many will say, its against God's law, unnatural, etcetera. But I see that many who oppose Gays do so because of a reputation for promiscuity. I think that applies as well to the Romans in Pauls time. He condemned them because they were engaging in mass homosexual brothels and sinning in various other ways. Who is to say if the Romans were having loving, lasting relationships, that Paul would have even bothered to waste his ink over it? And furthermore, I dont see Jesus saying anything about homosexuality in the bible. And for Christians, the Gospels are the ultimate authority. He talks about lust, he talks about promiscuity, he talks about sex outside of marriage. But the problem arises in how we define marriage. And I have a feeling I just opened up a whole new can of worms. But it is relevant I think.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 10:15 am
timberlandko wrote:
You stretch a point there, RL - the matter of intent. One may appreciate, prefer, or desire a thing, being, cor condition without lusting after it. To regard another with lust is unchristian of course, but determinant there is lust. Without the intent or desire to satisfy one's attraction through lustful gratification, the conditions for sin remain unmet; temptation to sin is not a sin, volition in furtherance of fulfiling that temptation is the occasion of sin.

Appreciation or preference implies approval which would be sinful.

Desire and lust, for the purposes of this argument, are synonymous.

Intent to fulfill one's desire is not a criterion for sin.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 10:25 am
daniellejean wrote:
Thank you timber for your insight. I just wonder, if one engages in a loving monogomous (sp?) relationship with someone of the same sex for their whole life, and in the case of MA, it is recognized by law as marriage, how is that different than a man and a woman? Many will say, its against God's law, unnatural, etcetera. But I see that many who oppose Gays do so because of a reputation for promiscuity. I think that applies as well to the Romans in Pauls time. He condemned them because they were engaging in mass homosexual brothels and sinning in various other ways. Who is to say if the Romans were having loving, lasting relationships, that Paul would have even bothered to waste his ink over it? And furthermore, I dont see Jesus saying anything about homosexuality in the bible. And for Christians, the Gospels are the ultimate authority. He talks about lust, he talks about promiscuity, he talks about sex outside of marriage. But the problem arises in how we define marriage. And I have a feeling I just opened up a whole new can of worms. But it is relevant I think.

Hi Daniellejean,

All parts of the New Testament are equally authoritative as the basis of Christian doctrine. It's not the Gospels vs. the Epistles.

Your inference as to why you think Paul wrote concerning homosexuality has no basis in the text at all.

Concerning many subjects the Gospels do not record specific teaching from Jesus. (Rape would be an example.) Jesus upheld the moral teaching of the Old Testament which also defines homosexual behavior as sin.

The same rationalizations that you use to justify homosexuality are used by heterosexuals to justify living together without marriage. ('We're not promiscuous, it's a lifelong commitment, etc).
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 10:41 am
Answer- Why not?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 10:48 am
Real life, you have stated that homosexuality is a sin. That doesn't necessarily mean that a homosexual can't also be a Christian though. Doesn't everyone sin? Being a sinner and being a Christian aren't mutually exclusive.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 10:48 am
GOOOOOOO KICKY!
0 Replies

daniellejean

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 10:50 am
And I would argue that if they are faithful and loving, then marriage is an institution that is just a formal way of recognizing their commitment. So I guess I dont hold monogomous heterosexuals to be sinful either just because they don't have a marriage licence. But maybe I've been moving away from faith these days anyway, so my arguments are from more of a secular than a Christian standpoint.
0 Replies