Patty Hearst

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 05:33 am
I saw a documentary last night about Patty Hearst.Id never heard of her before then.

She was the daughter of a rich political Amaerican family who was kidnapped by the SLA.
After being with them for a while she started to agree with their values and became an Urban Guerrilla.
When she was finally captured she said she was scared of her capters and had to do what they said.

I was a bit suspicious of the whole thing.Does anybody else know the story?
Any thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 802 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 05:41 am
I remember it well. I was always sure she had some level of involvement with the Symbionese Liberation Army but that it may have gotten a bit more involved than she had originally expected. somewhere in there I think that the Harris's made her into something of a scapegoat.

Somehow she was able to move on in life and become a fully productive member of society although I am sure the entire kidnapping/bank robbery issue has never left entirely. Her children must have had to endure a lot as well.

Is she still married to that Bernard Shaw guy?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 07:16 am
Dont know, cant remember if it said.

It sounded like a well thought out game(apart from the deaths)
I liked the fact that the SLA were doing things to help the poor but they kinda went in an odd way about it.

She looked so glam when she robbed that bank,like a Charlies Angel!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 03:07 pm
This phenomena is well known in psychiatric circles. It's called "Stockholm Syndrome" when captives start to identify with their captors.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 03:13 pm
Is it a form of brainwashing?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 03:41 pm
Sturgis wrote:
Is it a form of brainwashing?

Yes and no, Sturgis. It isn't a formal brainwashing in the sense that the captors set out to convert the hostage. It just seems to happen that after a while in the company of the captors, the captives begin to identify with them. It is particularly true if the captives are not unnecessarily mistreated but are made to understand the cause of the captors. It's called the Stockholm Syndrome because it first came to the attention of crisis resolution workers during a hostage-taking siege in Stockholm, back in the '70s, I think. After a few days, the captives were convinced that the hostage-takers were protecting them from the police!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 04:10 pm
I too remember it well. The original kidnapping was horrific and then to see her show up with a machine gun was even more so. It was at a time when there was great discord and unrest in the country. Underground groups were trying to "overthrow the Establishment". Some groups were more militant than others. The SLA was one of the more aggressive/violent groups.

She was the daughter/heiress of the Hearst publishing empire. She was engaged at the time of the kidnapping but I don't believe the relationship survived the ordeal, although I don't remember exactly. Didn't she marry her bodyguard? Or, am I thinking of someone else? Dunno.

I never thought she was in on it from the beginning. I accepted the "Stockholm syndrome" explanation and wished her the best. It was a horrible ordeal.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 02:06 am
I think if I was kidnapped Id go along with anything they believed just for an easy time.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 02:34 am
Well, I remeber the Patty Hearst story very well - it's just 30 years ago Laughing - and it was (kind of) in the middle of all those terroristic activity here.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 03:03 am
material girl wrote:
I think if I was kidnapped Id go along with anything they believed just for an easy time.

Yes, I can understand that. The point is that 'going along' soon becomes 'feeling a part of.' The hostage may start out just stringing their captors along but soon begins to believe the play-acting is real and that the kidnappers are in the right.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 03:09 am
Much of the effectiveness of the Stockholm Syndrome is due to the perception of the hostage that their captives hold their lives in their hands. When they don't kill them they're grateful.

But a word to would-be hostage takers. It doesn't always work. Some years ago there was a case, in Europe I believe, where a woman hostage managed to grab a police officer's handgun and blow the brains out of one of her captors.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 03:10 am
J_B wrote:
I. Didn't she marry her bodyguard? Or, am I thinking of someone else? Dunno.

Yes, she did. Sad, I thought.
0 Replies