Mike Brown Resigns

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 01:54 pm
CNN reports that Mike Brown has just resigned and issued a statement that he is resigning to avoid distraction from FEMA's mission.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,406 • Replies: 36
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 01:58 pm
Or prosecution as a result thereof?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 02:01 pm
After the past two weeks, he wouldn't have any credibility should the next disaster strike and he be assigned any mission no matter how small.

Good choice for him to resign.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 02:06 pm
CNN: The Situation Room

There was enormous pressure on the President, FEMA, and Homeland Security to hold someone to account.

White House expected to move quickly to replace Brown. FEMA's primary mission is now going to change from preparedness to response and recovery.

Sen. Hillary Clinton calling for INDEPENDENT investigation--doesn't want government to investigate itself with respect to FEMA's response to the hurricane disaster.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 02:36 pm
You mean that there is the risk of an enquiry NOT being independent?

Seriously?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 02:57 pm
one day, bunches to go.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 03:04 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:

Seriously?

Oh, yes. Bush has already said, in effect, that he himself intends to investigate himself. Not in so many words but that's what his suggestions amount to.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 03:38 pm
Paulison is the new Fema boss, apparently.

It sounds like he has had relevant experience. Fire Department.

Mind you, I heard it on Fox/Bush news.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 04:11 pm
Just heard where dub was quoted as saying he hadn't heard about it he was busy working. I was drinking a Dr. Pepper, and damn if it didn't burn coming out of my nose.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 04:24 pm
Actually, there would be so much to learn, for the world, really, in a really good investigation of this disaster.

Wouldn't it be nice to think, even for a moment, that there might be a "what can we learn, how can we do it better" investigation, rather than what I fear may be a witch hunt, where people will be reluctant to speak the unvarnished truth as they see it, rather than fearing they will be scapegoated....

And that the learning would really be incorporated in the method of response prepared for?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 04:31 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
Lord Ellpus wrote:

Seriously?

Oh, yes. Bush has already said, in effect, that he himself intends to investigate himself. Not in so many words but that's what his suggestions amount to.

You mean like congress investigating itself?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 04:41 pm
dlowan--

My morning newspaper carried a "hurricane-related" story. The city governments of the four largest population centers in Pennyslvania are examining their emergency plans, particularly with an eye to evacuating the inner city people and finding shelters for them with sufficient food and water.

I had a call yesterday from the Township Building (we have 3220 people, last census and more have certainly moved in) asking would I need help to evacuate in case of ice storm or forest fire.

Down in D.C. they are playing the Blame Game and the Spin Game, but elsewhere the agencies responsible for public safety in emergency are making sure that future disasters will be handled better.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 05:15 pm
Well,now that he has resigned,are the people of New Orleans able to go home now?
Do they all have homes now?
Are all of their needs met now?

In other words,exactly what has changed since 5 minutes before he resigned?

I dont recall any of you demanding the resignation of the FEMA head when they allowed 1000 people to die in Chicago in 1995.
Why didnt you?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 06:58 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Merry Andrew wrote:
Lord Ellpus wrote:

Seriously?

You mean like congress investigating itself?

Yes, exactly. Whatever happened to truly "independent" committees of unbiased, non-partisan experts? Don't think we've had one since the Teapot Dome scandals. Did we have one then? Hey, Setanta, where are you?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 06:59 pm
mysteryman wrote:
I dont recall any of you demanding the resignation of the FEMA head when they allowed 1000 people to die in Chicago in 1995.
Why didnt you?

I don't recall knowing you in 1995.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 07:01 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
Just heard where dub was quoted as saying he hadn't heard about it he was busy working. I was drinking a Dr. Pepper, and damn if it didn't burn coming out of my nose.

I heard that lil clip as I was driving back to Toronto (and trying to pull some licences on truckers behaving badly) - thought I was going to have to pull over to laugh. Since when is patting people on the shoulder "busy working"?. Other than a soap opera, of course.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 07:02 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Well,now that he has resigned,are the people of New Orleans able to go home now?
Do they all have homes now?
Are all of their needs met now?

In other words,exactly what has changed since 5 minutes before he resigned?

Why didnt you?

Have you ever smelled ear wax by accident?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 07:23 pm
What the hell are you on, MM? That stuff can be dangerous, you know.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 07:29 pm
I think Chertoff should be the next to go. Anybody feel secure with him as head of Homeland Security?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 07:40 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
What the hell are you on, MM? That stuff can be dangerous, you know.

Did you demand the resignation of the head of FEMA in 1995 when they allowed 1000 people to die in Chicago?
0 Replies