Federal Govt response Faster than Hurr. Andrew.

woiyo

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 09:24 am
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05254/568876.stm

"Jason van Steenwyk is a Florida Army National Guardsman who has been mobilized six times for hurricane relief. He notes that:

"The federal government pretty much met its standard time lines, but the volume of support provided during the 72-96 hour was unprecedented. The federal response here was faster than Hugo, faster than Andrew, faster than Iniki, faster than Francine and Jeanne."

For instance, it took five days for National Guard troops to arrive in strength on the scene in Homestead, Fla. after Hurricane Andrew hit in 2002. But after Katrina, there was a significant National Guard presence in the afflicted region in three.

Journalists who are long on opinions and short on knowledge have no idea what is involved in moving hundreds of tons of relief supplies into an area the size of England in which power lines are down, telecommunications are out, no gasoline is available, bridges are damaged, roads and airports are covered with debris, and apparently have little interest in finding out."

Why would the media want to report objectively when bashing Bush is all that matters these days,.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,212 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Chrissee

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 09:30 am
woiyo, if I want to read nonsnse from unreliable sources linked at Drudge, I will just log on directly. Thanks.
0 Replies

PKB

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 01:32 pm
Wasn't Andrew on Bush, Sr.'s watch? I just can't believe you pointed out how worthless the two of them are!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 01:52 pm
Well, National Guard response doesn't quite count as federal response. As many have pointed out, the state is in control of the National Guard. Remember, "why didn't she call out the national guard sooner...?"
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 02:01 pm
Chrissee wrote:
woiyo, if I want to read nonsnse from unreliable sources linked at Drudge, I will just log on directly. Thanks.

You realize that this was published by the POST-GAZETTE?

Or did you not even bother to burden what little brain you have?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 02:05 pm
No need to be nasty.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 07:54 pm
Quote:

This was published for the ten year anniversary of Andrew

Source

Yep, August '92 was still Bush Sr.'s term.

Hugo was '89 and Iniki was September '92.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 08:12 pm
Quote:
...In addition, the White House has pushed for privatization of essential government services, including disaster management, and merged FEMA into the Department of Homeland Security, where natural disaster programs are often sidelined by counter-terrorism programs. Along the way, morale at FEMA has plummeted, and many of the agency's most experienced personnel have left for work in other government agencies or private corporations.

In June, Pleasant Mann, a 16-year FEMA veteran who heads the agency's government employee union, wrote members of Congress to warn of the agency's decay. "Over the past three-and-one-half years, FEMA has gone from being a model agency to being one where funds are being misspent, employee morale has fallen, and our nation's emergency management capability is being eroded," he wrote. "Our professional staff are being systematically replaced by politically connected novices and contractors."

So while they're far from where hurricanes hit hardest, FEMA's Washington-based disaster managers find themselves in the middle of a perfect storm of their own.

Source
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 08:38 pm
I really am reluctant to get into a completely domestic US issue but I get the impression that there is much grasping at straws going on.

It's a good sign.

I suspect America is beginning to wake up to what has been happening for the past few years. I fear that my country is still fast asleep.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 07:36 am
woiyo wrote:
Chrissee wrote:

You realize that this was published by the POST-GAZETTE?

LOL you mean THE Post-gazette?

It is an opinion piece from some hack at a smalltown newspaper. This guy doesn't even get his facts right.

ha ha ha ha ha, the desperate right is becoming completely unhinged.
0 Replies