Worldwide McDonald's boycott discussion

cavfancier

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 11:03 pm
dupre, I gotta agree...as happy as I am that the fat kids sueing McDonalds for obesity case got thrown out (I mean, really....their parents should know better), I still think that the way a lot of people eat in North America these days is appaling.

JerryR, yeah, I was lmao too when I saw the latest stock reports. My fave here now is the 2 cheeseburger value meal....back in uni, my friends used to get 2-3 cheeseburgers, no fries or drink, because it screwed their profit margins, and worked out cheaper for them Very Happy Then I see this on a value meal deal? What were they thinking!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 10:55 am
Your friends are CRAZY!!!!

Man, wow. That reminds me of the time...the time...I don't know if I can say....aw heck.

I drank some milk, the day AFTER EXPIRATION!!!!

HOO-YAH
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 06:51 pm
Slappy, you da man....those dates are just guidelines, really
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 05:58 am
Ever try one of their breakfast fajitas? They put magma inside the tosta and serve it up at 800 degrees C. Im thinking law suit here.
0 Replies

Youredge

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 01:57 am
Worldwide McDonald's boycott discussion
New to Able2Know and already I am probably will get myself in trouble in regards to this boycott comments. First, are you boycotting McDonald's based on the fact that they are a fast food restaurant or they secretly fund the United States Military?

Expecting some comments that are based on facts and not personal opinion on FOOD? McDonald's in the 50's was a hamburger joint that employs millions of unskilled workers not only in the United States but Canada and around the world. Never ceases to amaze me how folks with idle time on their hands can find things to complain about no matter what the subject. Sure McDonald's does not serve the healthiest menu don't eat there. Broadcast companies increasingly show more violent subject matter turn the television off!

Now let me share some information about McDonald's you political activist tend to forget in your haste to make decisions on the surface. First let me paste some information from the Ronald McDonald's House and then read on past that post.

: http://www.rmhc.com/mis/mission/index.html

Missions & Programs:

A strong mind. A strong body. And a safe, supportive place to grow. These are things that every child needs - and deserves - to have.
Helping to provide these things is what we do.
By creating, finding and supporting programs that directly improve the health and well being of children, Ronald McDonald House Charities is working to better the lives of children and their families around the world.
To date, we've awarded more than $320 million dollars in grants worldwide towards our mission to make an immediate and positive impact on as many children as possible. And with support from a global network of 171 independent local Chapters in 44 countries - as well as hundreds of thousands of passionate and caring people - we've had plenty of success.

In 2000 I ran into a friend that I had not seen in quite some time. As with all conversations of catching up I learned that she was out of work. Why she was out of work is what shocked me as she was living temporarily at the Fort Worth Ronald McDonald House next Cook's Children's Hospital. Crying or Very sad This was also the third time she was doing this as her seven-year-old daughter was once again fighting for her life against leukemia.

Two very large insurance companies were already doing everything they could not to pay for her healthcare, as was the deadbeat father. Who was flipping the bill? Boycotted Ronald McDonald. My wife and I visited several days later meeting this precious little girl who had only two beautiful blonde hairs on her head. She was very sick but upbeat and smiling though she was reeling from chemo treatments she received at the crack of dawn that morning.

Later that evening we met twenty other families and old Ronald McDonald was flipping the bill for them as well. As an uprising restaurateur here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area I supply dinner for the families once every three months. Because I cannot give that little girl with the two blonde hairs what she or the others needs to continue their care. But, I can reach out and give her and others in the house a meal and some personal touch and conversation.

To be honest, I don't buy my grandchildren happy meals or make attempts to get them those house cluttering toys. But, I do stop at the McDonald's that is opposite from my restaurant and shoot the breeze with the folks that work there. In the mornings there are sixteen or twenty senior citizens talking in the lobby while having their FREE coffee. Most McDonald's stores employ unskilled workers in volumes surely reach into the millions. Everyone cannot be a chemist or marketing executive.

So maybe before condemning Ronald you should look past the political banter?

Youredge
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 02:09 am
Welcome to A2K, Youredge!

Hope, you enjoy the other topics here as well.
0 Replies

Youredge

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 02:11 am
Thanks, but I most likely will rub someone wrong with this posting.

Youredge
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 05:31 am
Hi Youredge, welcome! Actually, I don't think anyone will be put off by your post. I originally posted this topic as a discussion of the McDonald's boycotts that were going on in France, Germany and elsewhere as a protest against America invading Iraq, something I found quite ridiculous. While some of us might not like their food too much, I don't believe anyone here is actually boycotting the restaurant.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 05:55 am
I see Rosanne Rosanadana coming up and saying
"Never Mind"
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 06:02 am
I just saw Slappys comment.
I tempt fate all the time by searching out the oldest Tastykakes. I like an expiration year that ends in a zero.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 12:20 pm
I like McDonald's. They are always well-lit and clean, with adequate parking, good security and free napkins. Seriously. I've been "going" to McDonald's every month or two for the last twenty odd years.

I certainly wouldn't boycott McDonald's! I just don't buy any food there, except every fifth year or so. It's a great place to go p... take a pitstop while travelling. I don't even have to comb my hair or straighten out my clothes. There's usually a McDonald's within a a few miles, no matter where you are in this great plastic country of ours. And after years of conditioning, anything plastic now makes me go to the restroom. It's become a special place for me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 11:40 pm
I like the fast food concept, to some extent - I think some of us were involved in another discussion once on what we could come up with that would be interesting fast food, uh, food-wise. I remember my response was about Suppli al Telefono, which are rice balls stuffed with mozzarella, served very hot so the mozzarella strings out. They are usually fried, but they're almost as delicious just microwaved. Naturally I only remember my own response...
0 Replies

EileenM

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 11:13 am
Ok, I think Canada has a different kind of MickieD's then the states. For one, you can not eat a burger there without finding some foreign object in it. The fries are limpy that you can flop them back and forth. And a friend told me that they rarely clean the grills... I'm proud to say that in Canada, Tim Hortans is the way to go!
0 Replies