Why Now Is Precisely the Time for Finger-Pointing

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 12:36 pm
George Bush, David Caruso, and Katrina: Why Now Is Precisely the Time for Finger-Pointing
By Arianna Huffington

Here's one for the Hypocrisy Hall of Fame: At the same time the administration is putting Karl Rove's "pin-the-blame-on-the-locals" plan into effect, President Bush told reporters gathered at a cabinet meeting today, "I think that one of the things that people want us to do here is play a blame game. We've got to solve problems. We're problem solvers. There will be ample time for people to figure out what went right and what went wrong. What I'm interested in is helping save lives."

How noble. A week and thousands of lives too late... but noble. He makes it sound

as if anyone interested in trying to figure out what went so horribly wrong in the aftermath of Katrina is somehow impeding the recovery. As if we can't help the victims and analyze the debacle at the same time. As if any time spent by reporters ferreting out the truth -- and by Congress overseeing -- would otherwise be spent tossing sandbags on the levee, disinfecting the Superdome, or driving evacuees to Houston.

As if those seeking answers will have blood on their hands.

That's certainly the ominous rhetorical tack being taken by Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff. He's all about moving forward, and not looking back (which isn't surprising given how many corpses he'd see in his personal rear-view mirror). "What would be a horrible tragedy," he said, "would be to distract ourselves from avoiding further problems because we're spending time talking about problems that have already occurred." Gee, Mr. Secretary, I thought that was called 'learning from your mistakes.'

So the White House is for time management and against "finger-pointing" -- a two-talking-points-for-the-price-of-one Chertoff scored when he asked, "What do you want to have us spend our time on now? Do we want to make sure we are feeding, sheltering, housing, and educating those who are distressed, or do we want to begin the process of finger-pointing?" Well, when you put it that way...

Also receiving the time management/finger pointing memo were White House spokesman Scott McClellan, WH communications director Dan Bartlett, and former FEMA director Joe Allbaugh:

"This is not a time for finger-pointing or playing politics," said Scotty.

"I know a lot of people right now want to point fingers and criticize, but people should keep their powder dry," said Allbaugh.

"If we focused more of our attention on decisions that have already been made, rather than those before us, there's potential for making far greater mistakes... We really don't have time to play the political game right now," echoed Bartlett.

With that kind of message discipline, how long before the media start parroting the party line? With a few brave exceptions like Jack Cafferty, the correct answer would be... right about now. "Not a great time for finger pointing is it?" asked Miles O'Brien on CNN's American Morning. "When you hear it's not the right time to point the finger, doesn't that seem reasonable?" asked anchor Carol Costello a few hours later on CNN's Daybreak.

Now, it's bad enough when the media start carrying the administration's water (especially when it's as fetid as the toxic muck still covering New Orleans), but it's much, much worse when the opposition's leaders grab a bucket and join in. "Our government failed those people in the beginning," said Bill Clinton. "And I personally believe there should be a serious analysis of it...but I don't think we should do it now. I think that in a few weeks, we should have some sort of Katrina commission. It should be bipartisan, non-partisan, whatever..." Exactly: "Whatever." As in: Who gives a crap, because it will have about the same impact as all these too-long-after-the-fact commissions have -- next to none. Who knows, maybe this time President Bush will be willing to actually testify under oath -- and without Dick Cheney. Or maybe Mike Brown will pull a Condi and let it slip about a "historical" PDB entitled "FEMA Determined to Strike Out in NO."

President Clinton's helpful assertion was quickly picked up by the President's father who used it as a cudgel against anyone trying to (if you'll pardon the expression) "point the finger" at his son: "People want to blame someone... I thought President Clinton put it pretty well today when he said, 'Let's get on with it and then there'll be plenty of time to assign blame.'"

Look, if we've learned anything from watching shows like CSI, Law & Order, and their endless progeny, it's that you can't let a crime scene grow cold. You've got to start collecting and analyzing the evidence while the DNA is still fresh and let David Caruso or Vincent D'Onofrio start sweating the perps while the passions are still running high.

And make no mistake, what we saw go down -- and not go down -- in New Orleans was definitely a crime... a crime that is in many ways still in progress. Sixty percent of the city remains underwater; up to 160,000 homes in the state of Louisiana have been submerged or destroyed; 60 to 90 million tons of solid waste need to be cleaned up; experts warn that it make take "years" to fully restore clean drinking water; and an outbreak of vibrio vulnificus -- a cholera-like bacterial disease -- has been reported among some Katrina evacuees.

This is clearly going to be a very long recovery process. And the sooner we've identified those responsible for the Katrina tragedy, the sooner we can make sure they're not around to screw up the recovery.

So, yes, now is precisely the time for assessing blame. Let a thousand pointed fingers bloom!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 668 • Replies: 14
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 06:31 am
"And the sooner we've identified those responsible for the Katrina tragedy, the sooner we can make sure they're not around to screw up the recovery. "

Maybe if she had better command of the english language, she could have made a reasonable point.

Who is responsible for building a city, below sea level, with a system of levees that has been criticized for 50 years and never EVER redesigned???
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 08:16 am
How Bush Blew It
Bureaucratic timidity. Bad phone lines. And a failure of imagination. Why the government was so slow to respond to catastrophe.

By Evan Thomas
Newsweek
Sept. 19, 2005 issue - It's a standing joke among the president's top aides: who gets to deliver the bad news? Warm and hearty in public, Bush can be cold and snappish in private, and aides sometimes cringe before the displeasure of the president of the United States, or, as he is known in West Wing jargon, POTUS. The bad news on this early morning, Tuesday, Aug. 30, some 24 hours after Hurricane Katrina had ripped through New Orleans, was that the president would have to cut short his five-week vacation by a couple of days and return to Washington. The president's chief of staff, Andrew Card; his deputy chief of staff, Joe Hagin; his counselor, Dan Bartlett, and his spokesman, Scott McClellan, held a conference call to discuss the question of the president's early return and the delicate task of telling him. Hagin, it was decided, as senior aide on the ground, would do the deed.

The president did not growl this time. He had already decided to return to Washington and hold a meeting of his top advisers on the following day, Wednesday. This would give them a day to get back from their vacations and their staffs to work up some ideas about what to do in the aftermath of the storm. President Bush knew the storm and its consequences had been bad; but he didn't quite realize how bad.

The reality, say several aides who did not wish to be quoted because it might displease the president, did not really sink in until Thursday night. Some White House staffers were watching the evening news and thought the president needed to see the horrific reports coming out of New Orleans. Counselor Bartlett made up a DVD of the newscasts so Bush could see them in their entirety as he flew down to the Gulf Coast the next morning on Air Force One.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9287434/site/newsweek
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 08:43 am
Yep... no complaints about the Govt closest to the people.

Yep...everything went SWIMINGLY in Mississippi and Alabama, almost like nothing happened there.

Yep... Give to poor everything and anything in the spirit of Affirmative Action and SCREW the middle working class families who also have nothing, but taxes to pay.

Yep..don't give the people a shovel to help the cleanup. Just give them a 2K debit card and let the middle class clean up their $hit-hole.

Yep..all the narrowminded nit-wits want to go around and blame only Georgie Boy.

Yep...Objectivity and honesty does not exist in this nation anylonger.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 09:21 am
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=59354&highlight=

"Jason van Steenwyk is a Florida Army National Guardsman who has been mobilized six times for hurricane relief. He notes that:

"The federal government pretty much met its standard time lines, but the volume of support provided during the 72-96 hour was unprecedented. The federal response here was faster than Hugo, faster than Andrew, faster than Iniki, faster than Francine and Jeanne."

For instance, it took five days for National Guard troops to arrive in strength on the scene in Homestead, Fla. after Hurricane Andrew hit in 2002. But after Katrina, there was a significant National Guard presence in the afflicted region in three.

Journalists who are long on opinions and short on knowledge have no idea what is involved in moving hundreds of tons of relief supplies into an area the size of England in which power lines are down, telecommunications are out, no gasoline is available, bridges are damaged, roads and airports are covered with debris, and apparently have little interest in finding out."
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 02:59 pm
Finger pointing does nothing to solve the problems which exist. Nowhere in any of the wagging fingers do I see the accusers offering real solutions. No, not some harebrained asinine non-solution which only looks good on paper; I mean something which will actually do something to solve the mess that the levee systems of the U.S. are in. Look around especially you folks in Northern California you are also dealing with aging levees. Will your finger pointing save you?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 03:06 pm
Foxfyre
Sturgis wrote:
Finger pointing does nothing to solve the problems which exist. Nowhere in any of the wagging fingers do I see the accusers offering real solutions. No, not some harebrained asinine non-solution which only looks good on paper; I mean something which will actually do something to solve the mess that the levee systems of the U.S. are in. Look around especially you folks in Northern California you are also dealing with aging levees. Will your finger pointing save you?

Sturgis, you want a real solution? How about this one.

Get into a time machine and travel back to the time of the first settlers in New Orleans. Teach them how to build and not to build to avoid future problems.

Return to the present time and then gloat, "Now, that should do it."

BBB
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 03:09 pm
Uh, who is this foxfyre, and why are you quoting me?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 03:29 pm
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 03:33 pm
BBB....That's all right pretty and all but it still doesn't answer my question as to why you quoted me and called me Foxfyre.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 03:40 pm
Sturgis
Sturgis wrote:
BBB....That's all right pretty and all but it still doesn't answer my question as to why you quoted me and called me Foxfyre.

Ugh! If I could get this hot and smothering executioner's hood off of my head I could see better whom I quoting.

BBB Embarrassed
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 11:05 am
Bush Lied When Asked About Brown's Resignation
By DOUG THOMPSON
Sep 13, 2005, 04:34
Email this article
Printer friendly page

President George W. Bush lied outright to reporters in Mississippi Monday when he claimed he did not know embattled Federal Emergency Management Agency director Mike Brown resigned.

In fact, Bush - who over the weekend told Department of Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff to "get rid of Brown any way you have to" - took a call from Chertoff while en route to the Gulf Coast aboard Air Force One. Chertoff told Bush he had Brown's resignation in hand but the President ordered the Homeland Security secretary to delay announcement of Brown's resignation until after the New Orleans photo op because he didn't want his tour upstaged.

White House sources confirmed the timeline Monday night, saying the President was "caught off guard" when a miffed Brown announced the resignation on his own while Bush was in New Orleans and reporters started asking questions.

When asked about Brown's resignation, Bush lied, saying he didn't know about it.

"Maybe you know something I don't know. I've been working," the president responded to reporters on an inspection tour of damage in Gulfport, Miss. Bush said he planned to talk with Chertoff from Air Force One on the flight back to Washington.

But White House sources say Bush had already talked to Chertoff on the flight down and knew Brown's resignation was in hand. What he didn't know was that Brown had announced it to the public.

Even if Bush had not known before landing, he would have been informed as soon as the news broke, White House aides say. White House procedures call for such information to be relayed to the President immediately. Even in an armored vehicle moving through the flooded streets of New Orelans the Presidential detail is never "out of touch," aides say.

"A breaking story would be relayed to the President's entourage immediately," a White House staffer said. "The President is never really out of touch."

On the flight down, Bush told Chertoff to get materials ready to announce appointment of R. David Paulison, head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency's emergency preparedness force, to lead the beleaguered agency. Paulison's appointment was announced as soon as Bush returned to Washington.

"Paulison was vetted (checked out) over the weekend after the decision was made to get rid of Brown," a Bush insider says.

Publicly, the White House claims Brown "was not forced out" of his job with FEMA but sources within the Bush administration tell Capitol Hill Blue that the President ordered Chertoff to "take whatever means necessary" to get rid of Brown. Chertoff reportedly told Brown, already under scrutiny for padding his resume and biography on the FEMA web site, he would face an internal audit of his travel expenses and other activities while on the job.

So Brown took a bullet, becoming the first of what may be several scapegoats for the Bush administration's failure to respond quickly enough to the Hurricane Katrina disaster.

"I'm turning in my resignation today," Brown said. "I think it's in the best interest of the agency and the best interest of the president to do that and get the media focused on the good things that are going on, instead of me."

"Brown is just the first," says a White House insider. "Others will follow."
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 04:19 pm
Names! I want names!
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 07:18 pm
Sturgis wrote:
Names! I want names!
They don't have names, they don't need names, they went to the Jason Blair school of news reporting. Make it up and don't provide names that way no one can check it out.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 09:55 am
http://http://www.bobharris.com/images/stories/Katrina/bushincompetencemap.gif http://www.bobharris.com/content/view/637/1/
0 Replies