opinion on jobs...

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 10:00 am
So I recieved my bachelors in mathematics recently, and in job searc process, I recently accepted an offer to be an office claims rep for farmers insurance. I will be in a call center, and working in a cubicle.

This job has a good salary(26xx per month) and has full health, and dental beniefits. Other benifits include 38 hours work-week, and vacations.

I recently got a call to set up an interview as a "statistical research analyst" at the "oklahoma security employment commission." This is a government job, w/ a pay of 19xx per month, and "benifiets." I dont know what the benifits of a state job entails. And this is close to my major.

Clearly, paywise, the insurance is a better deal, and I could definanalty use the extra money. But are their any perks that a state employee has that can change my mind if I get an offer as the analyst job also?

I went ahead and set up an interview with them, but I dont know what to do. Do I tell them that I already have a job lined up, and just want to hear their beinefits? How do I handle the interview?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 778 • Replies: 5
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 10:49 am
Line up your own career path. Since you're a recent grad, don't plan on your first job being your final job. Which one takes you where you expect to be 10 years and 3 jobs down the road.

On bennies, I make the guess you're better off with the private company. Private companies are also more able to improve the cash offer, so, all else being equal, I would go the insurance co route. Speaking of cash, neither seems quite up to expectation for a BS in Math.

I don't think you owe them the information on the other job, but don't lie if asked directly. Bad precedent, ya know. If you think it will produce a better offer, drop it on them, but it isn't likely to help. It's a government, remember. They have a narrowly defined job description, with a specific starting pay.

Caveat. I belong to the school of thought that says you owe an employer, or future employer, exactly what they think they owe you.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 11:21 am
I agree with Roger's suggestion. You need to look down the road (which is often difficult especially when you are young).

I doubt the State job will offer better benefits. Especially with the difference in pay, I don't think this should even be a consideration.

My question is which job is better for your career.

Personally I like the title "statistical research analyst" better, but not knowing anything about either position, or about your long term goals... I can't talk about which is best.

But which job interests you more is an important question. Does insurance interest you? Does working with people? Do you like statistics?

I think these questions are relevant.
0 Replies

semidevil

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 07:11 pm
hey guys, thanx for the reply....any more suggestions is welcome.

right now, I plan to go to the interview with an open mind and ask as much as I can about the benefits and then decide which one to choose. Right now though, the insurance job gets the upper hand.

I plan to go interview and let them know of my job only if they ask me about it. I only have one concern though. What if they ask me questions like when I can start? And more importantly, what if they end up liking me and give me an offer? Is that a good time to let them know that I have a job offer and would like to go home and think about it? Is that normal in a job interview? I know that will be a major curve ball for them...

what do you guys think?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 09:35 pm
You could say you are interviewing a number of prospective employers and will not make a final decision until your interviews are complete.

Government jobs are seldom high paying but they sometimes have interesting perks and benefits. Go on the interview, see what they have to offer and then make your decision on all the information you have at hand.

The worst case is that you have to rescind the acceptance with the insurance company. Not the greatest move, bridge-burning wise, but it's better than having them cover the expense of your training and then having you decide to leave.

$700/month is a lot of money to walk away from. I tend to think the private sector is a better overall choice than the public sector, but you never know until you get all the details.

Good luck!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 09:41 pm
I like J_B's answer, but if you should tell them you have another job, you might gain (I doubt it), and you've got nothing to lose.
0 Replies