baddog1

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 11:03 am
What do non-Christians utilize for a moral code?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,796 • Replies: 81
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 11:27 am
This question implies that Christians have something they can utilize for a moral code.

Christians don't have a moral code.

The biggest moral issue in the United States today is the war in Iraq. There are Christians who support the war, There are Christians who are oppose the war and there are Christians who oppose all war.

There are Christians who openly hate homosexuals, there are Christians who say homosexuality is wrong but you should love the "sinner".There are Christians who say we should accept homosexuals and defend their rights.

There are Christians who support laws that defend your right to shoot people trying to rob you. There are Christians who say that violence against people (even thieves) is wrong.

Christians and non-Christians are in the same boat. They need to figure out a personal morality based on their own ideas of right and wrong.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 11:28 am
Didn't we recently have this discussion?

I'll try to find a link...

yep, I was thinking of number 5 of this thread:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57093

Quote:
5. What are your principles as far as how you treat other people? (and what are they based on?)
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:38 pm
Thanks JB, I'll check out the thread you referenced.

BD1
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:40 pm
Re: Moral Code
baddog1 wrote:
What do non-Christians utilize for a moral code?

Their brains.

We try to differentiate ourselves from Christians in every way possible. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 03:30 am
What do christians utilize for walking?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 03:53 am
Cyracuz wrote:

Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 04:52 am
Cyracuz wrote:

I can't say for sure; but, it may be legs and feet. Being only a mere God believer and not a Christian it does amaze me that those there Christians get to use their legs and feet the same as non-Christians and even mere God believers such as myself. You know what really stuns me though? The way those Christians and non-Christians are able to swim. Even more, how is it that a Christian and a non-Christian as well as many low on the totem pole God believers are all able to float on water?

So many questions, so little time.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 05:32 am
What do Christians do to have babies?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 06:03 am
Didn't St Thomas Acquinas and St Augustine have a bit to say about morality? And didn't Acquinas get his kick start from Aristotle (ironically enough through the Islamic scholars) in terms of finding a moral code.

If that's true (going from memory) then Christianity's greatest philosopher was guided by a non-Christian.

So the answer to the question must be that non-Christians utilise the moral code that Christians borrowed from them.

Recommended reading - the Nicomachean Ethics by Aristotle
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 07:41 am
We devise a moral code though understanding of the Bible's message...the golden rule is pretty good.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 07:49 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
We devise a moral code though understanding of the Bible's message...the golden rule is pretty good.

My point exactly. It's an excellent rule and was around long before St Matthew. Non-Christians knew and used that rule well before Christianity. In fact again a lesson from pagans - does the term "karma" ring a bell?
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 07:58 am
That has nothing to do with karma. It has to deal with one's actions and love, despite other's actions of hostility.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 08:09 am
You identified the golden rule - the ethic of reciprocity - treat others etc. It pre-dates Christianity.

But I have to admit we could be at cross-purposes but that's what happens when it gets into specifics. To you what is "the golden rule", we'll go from there.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 08:10 am
I read the posts mentioned and threads that relate, and while all are good, none answer my inadequately worded question(s). Therefore, below is my attempt at more clearly conveying what I was thinking.

The scriptures are supposed to be the moral code for Christianity. And the U.S. Constitution was written based on the Commandments. (Clearly or loosely based on the Commandments is not the issue at hand. The fact that the Bible was referenced is the important issue for the sake of this conversation.)

My question asks; for those who do not believe in God, the Bible, scriptures, et al, what is/was the standard for morality in your life?

There had to be something that affected you to be able to function in society. Ex: As infants, we were all basically as selfish as one can be. Each of us had to learn how to be considerate of others, compassionate, etc.

Was it your upbringing? Schooling? Reading material? Etc.

BD1
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 08:27 am
Quote:

My question asks; for those who do not believe in God, the Bible, scriptures, et al, what is/was the standard for morality in your life?

Same as for those who do believe I suppose. Secular society has laid down the rules by which we should all live. Follow them and you can't go wrong.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:04 am
baddog1 wrote:

The scriptures are supposed to be the moral code for Christianity. And the U.S. Constitution was written based on the Commandments. (Clearly or loosely based on the Commandments is not the issue at hand. The fact that the Bible was referenced is the important issue for the sake of this conversation.)

Could you get into this with a bit more detail. Specifically...the notion that the US Constitution was written based on the "Commandments"...and the referencing of the Bible.
0 Replies

djbt

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:10 am
goodfielder wrote:
Quote:

Same as for those who do believe I suppose. Secular society has laid down the rules by which we should all live. Follow them and you can't go wrong.

So if I ruin someone's life legally, that's fine, is it?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:20 am
djbt wrote:
goodfielder wrote:
Quote:

So if I ruin someone's life legally, that's fine, is it?

Dunno. Give me some specifics and I might be able to answer.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 12:37 pm
Quote:
Could you get into this with a bit more detail. Specifically...the notion that the US Constitution was written based on the "Commandments"...and the referencing of the Bible.

Frank - Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Sorry for the confusion. I was juggling two separate thoughts and unknowingly (unwittingly) transposed my message. Following is my correction: "...And American Law was written based on the Commandments." [I am also in the midst of a study on the 1st amendmentÂ… hence the mix-up!]

BD1
0 Replies