Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:13 am
Mushroom hunting is a favorite pastime of the Slovaks. Up in the mountains one has to get up at 5 in the morning, to beat all the rest of them mushroom hunters. I thought I'd show you amurricans and other urban spoiled creatures how mushroom really grow out there.

What does one do with the collected mushroom? Well, portabellas and champignons are great breaded and deep fried.

Cep, aka Penny Bun (Boletus reticulamus) is the best of them. We use it in omelettes, or in a mushroom paprikash - a creamy sauce with gnocchi. Easier to find and available widely across the U.S. is any of the xerocomi.

Some mushroom can be pickled, some baked with a bit of salt. What do you do with your mushrooms?

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SQDvAlYUqNp2qCOcJkQbq*yXeOq4Wr2nNM0E*FEIeOR1YsIfziPTzT9Q3vWB4nWi9HJfL2DEl43hojHs*poML6ky2uFSg62qV1r6j3y2aYdGtDkaXvs5AA/IMG_0255.JPG
Portabella mushroom au naturel. As organic as they get.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RQAgGHkTsol2qCOcJkQbq0u0cKiXqmBCaqo3iZjKwcCEZGg!oc2DRi!Nsb5hwvzSde0QdjkSCaSizPNWUsj0E5nJIL3KFTOB5ElfMGKztG4/IMG_0251.JPG
Xerocomus

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RQAAAH8TGot2qCOcJkQbq8NHU3bNb9fXLvHJgzMrpbvfBWGIyso6ptX9kJAyXg4gghmVBYtccaXGW8pI8dPvLaXu2gUZqfIrJ1*372mhXZU/IMG_0257.JPG
Catch of the day. A big 'liver' mushroom on top. Those grow on trees.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,688 • Replies: 114
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 09:10 am
Cool!

I've gone morel-hunting in Minnesota. Yummy!

http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/nebland/articles/images/morel_morel.jpg

And any excuse to spend time in the woods.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 09:16 am
those? don't they really really stink? there's a similar mushroom here (the stinker) - but that ain't edible. i have to look it up now.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 09:19 am
http://morelsandmore.com/
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 09:29 am
Quote:
Morel Madness puts the afflicted in a state of blissful confusion. They are blind and slow to react to anything going on around them. Their minds have narrowed down to a tunnel with only one goal; to get out and hunt mushrooms. A person, who under normal circumstances, would never venture into the woods alone, becomes a force to be reckoned with. Neither snakes nor beasts, nor thunderstorms, nor threats of tornados, nor winds will keep them out of the woods. They become secretive and solitary with only one goal in mind; to search for and find mushrooms.

Ahahahaha! Don't I know that state of mind! Quite a read!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 09:31 am
http://morelsandmore.com/moreldancer4.gif
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 09:35 am
EVERYBODY DO THE MOREL DANCE!!!

<actually, that's a teeny bit obscene...>
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 09:37 am
oh yummy.
im jealous.

I love to grill portabella mushrooms and make burgers out of them.
Get some good rice bread, spinach, a big ripe tomato..

oohh.. Im drooling just thinking about it..
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 09:41 am
how bout breaded and fried like a wiener schnitzel, with some mayonnaise? ok, i know, sounds like a heart-attack material, but it's so goood. we use yoghurt instead of may these days. still heavy...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 09:45 am
i have not heard of mayo on mushrooms?
I would try that. Sounds wonderful to me.

I use balsamic, season salt and usually avacado for topping. Rice bread, spinach, tomato and maybe some cheese.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 09:46 am
(anything deep fried with mayo is delicious).

wot? i didn't say that. i would never!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 09:48 am
>snort<
i heard that...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 09:49 am
so how would you do that...
deep fry it in olive oil?
then what?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 10:21 am
nah. bread it first - roll it in flour, egg, and bread crumbs, then deep fry it in vegetable oil. serve with potatoes (or umm, french fries, but you don't have that from me) with mayo mixed with chives, bit of mustard, salt and pepper, crushed garlic (tartar sauce, isn't it? sumtin' like that.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:27 pm
Was wishing the mushroom queen was with me on the hike last weekend..... we saw some good ones.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:34 pm
I love to hunt mushrooms myself.

TIP: If you are not absolutely sure that the mushroom is edible....prepare a small portion and offer it as a gift to someone. Call the next day...and if all went well...cook up the rest an eat 'em.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:36 pm
Frank, thanks for the mushrooms you sent me yesterday. They were quite good.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:41 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Frank, thanks for the mushrooms you sent me yesterday. They were quite good.

Glad to hear it, Gus.

Now if Bernie and Dys would just get back to me on the ones I sent them...I'm gonna have one heck of a dinner.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:48 pm
My favorite is homemade pizza topped with chanterelles and walnuts that have been sauteed in olive and walnut oil . Put the topping on 5 minutes before the pizza is done so the mixture is not over cooked.

I was told that Portabellos were just the mother mushroom of commercially grown crimini. Commercial growers got tired of throwing out the mother and they invented the name "Portabello" to sound fancy and marketed it as something other than crimini. I have never seen Portabello's in a mushroom ID guide. I'll look around for more info.

Morels are scare in my area, but I do know a few lucky hunters who have found some.

As to Frank's mushroom test - some mushrooms take days to show their poisonous effects. A person will feel fine until their liver starts to break down and that can take a week to 10 days.

Remember Dag, that some mushrooms that are edible in Europe are toxic in the US. A former Ukrainian boyfriend's grandmother died after eating such a look-a-like. Sorry I do not remember the variety.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:53 pm
yikes!
0 Replies