THE TEMPEST TOSSED

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 10:57 pm
Of the blacks I've talked to up here in Connecticut, all of them think race played a factor in the slowness of the Federal response.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 11:00 pm
what happens if you find that Mayor Nagin Governor Blanco are part of the delay?
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 11:03 pm
Dunno. I haven't gone that deep in the conversations. I'm just reporting what I heard them say. Of the blacks I've spoken to, they all regard this as a race issue.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 11:08 pm
my black friends welcome other blacks to move here
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 12:24 am
Would the rescure effort have been more effective if the victiims were white? Abso-fucking-lutely.

I'm not suggesting that there was a meeting of FEMA directors, at which - cackling over a meal of champagne and lobster - they decided to shit on the black people in New Orleans should the opportunity ever present itself. I'm suggesting that subtle value judgements based on race and class contributed to the ineffectiveness of the rescue effort.

I can't see, for example, people suspending the rescue efforts for thousands of middle class white people because one Blackhawk helicopter had one bullet fired at it, which is what happened two days ago in New Orleans. That was a judgement based on the value of the rescuers life vs the value of the people being rescued.

That's a pretty bizarre judgement. To my mind, risking your life is part of the job when you join the rescue services or military. As another poster said yesterday, I see no distinction between attempting a risky rescue in a storm and attempting to rescue people from the Superdome.

You'll have to forgive me - considering this nations stellar record on race relations and the comments I've seen made in the last few days - for thinking that race and class had something to do with decisions like that. I mean, ****, it's no secret that people make value judgements based on race; that's why black murder victims get no media attention while the Natalie Holloways of the world get 24 hour CNN coverage for months on end. You'd be naive to think that type of prejudice doesn't transcend into police and government as well.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:45 am
Ineptness at the local and federal level ultimately hurts those who are unable or unwilling to help themselves, the poor. Poverty is colorblind.

Our elected officials, mainly local but include federal, are not concerned enough to help the poor.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 12:31 pm
Sturgis wrote:
Try being poor anywhere in the world ....Look at sections of Kentucky, West Virginia and lots of other places as well. Communities where every last person is white as snow...

Being poor in America is the real sin, especially when one considers the resources the country has.

spot on. my wife is a native californian, without much time out of state. the only times she's been back east is with me to nyc and on our visits to the my folks place in east tennessee. the first time she saw one of those ol' shacks with an ancient school bus pulled in front for an extra room, her head started spinning around. a 70's station wagon with 8 or so po' folk sent her into space. my dad's pretty involved with groups that do good works. this has been everything from sellin' big bags of onions to raise money for children's hospitals to convincing kmart to donate a few hundred pairs of new sneakers for kids who are so poor they don't even have shoes. their church has actually brought people to the place to give them baths and clean clothes.

people that don't see this stuff have a hard time believing it exists.

so when people here in l.a. start goin' off about the ghettos and being dirt poor, i can only roll my eyes. the poor that these people here complain about would be like moving into a new palace and finding a feast in the kitchen for those broke down hillbillies down home.

forgot a word...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 03:44 am
I think both Woiyo and IronLionZion are right, if thats possible.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 04:59 am
I just posted this quote in the "stunned" thread, better fits in this topic I think. Whether its about race or class, I think it speaks volumes:

Quote:
Meanwhile Mr Bush, already under pressure for the impression that he has been unable to empathise with the poor, mainly black victims of the disaster, was not helped by remarks made by his mother, Barbara, after touring a relief centre in Texas.

"What I'm hearing which is sort of scary is they all want to stay in Texas. [/b]Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality," Mrs Bush told the Public Broadcasting Service. "And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this is working very well for them."

Shocked Mad Source
0 Replies