The Human Condition and the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics

Kinch

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 09:09 pm
Re: The Human Condition and the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics
John Jones wrote:
Kinch wrote:
John Jones wrote:

Most of your arguments hinge on a word that has no explanatory value - 'instinct'.

This keeps coming up. I'll try to clarify:

"At a public lecture I listened to Arthur Koestler airing his opinion that the human species was mad...as a result of an inadequate co-ordination between two areas of the brain - the 'rational' neocortex and the 'instinctual hypothalamus..."
(Bruce Chatwin, The Songlines, 1987)

"Jung Regards the unconscious mind as not only the repository of forgotten or repressed memories, but also of racial memories. This is reasonable enough when we remember the definition of instinct as racial memory"
(International University Society's Reading Course and Biographical Studies, Volume 6, c 1940.)

'The Tao acts through Natural Law…
From ancient times to the present,
Its name ever remains,
Through the experience of the Collective Origin.'
(From the 21st passage of Tao Te Ching, attributed to Lao Tzu [604-531 BC], as translated by R.L. Wing.)

'The great frontier between the two types of mentality is the line which separates non-primate mammals from apes and monkeys. On one side of that line behaviour is dominated by hereditary memory, and on the other by individual causal memory…The phyletic history of the primate soul can clearly be traced in the mental evolution of the human child. The highest primate, man, is born an instinctive animal. All its behaviour for a long period after birth is dominated by the instinctive mentality…' (Eugène Marais, The Soul of the Ape, written in the 1930s, published in 1969.)

'Oh wearisome Condition of Humanity!
Borne under one Law, to another bound:
Vainely begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sicke, commanded to be sound:
What meaneth Nature by these diverse Lawes?
Passion and Reason, selfe-division cause:'
(Fulke Greville, from his play Mustapha, c 1594-96.)

These quotes (I'd give you more but they're all I have at hand) demonstrate what I mean by instinctive, it is the hereditary memory of the behaviours developed by the genetic learning system over time.
Hereditary memory as opposed to individual causal understanding.
Hope that's helped,
Kinch

Instinct, then, is a commonly used word, but without a consistent meaning. Not only that, but the best meaning it does have does not make sense. It is not acceptable to use a word that refers to both an experience and the physical, as if to provide a meaningful link between them. To say 'some feelings are caused by instinct' commits a number of errors. First, no causal explanation links mind and matter; second, not only is the term instinct vague about its nature (mind or matter?), but it seems to switch its nature between mind and matter depending on what feelings are being considered. So which is it? Mind or matter?

The division between mind and matter is not so concrete as you imagine. I suggest you read some studies on quantum uncertainty and sub-atomic particles, in these fields of research scientists find it very hard to distinguish between subject/object mind/matter.
If you have a problem with 'matter' causing 'feelings' simply imagine what you would feel if you struck a child in the face, or refused to give food to someone starving - it is called 'conscience' and is the result of an instinctive orientation to co-operative behaviour. Also just imagine being struck by a ball in the testicles this is the interplay of matter upon matter, yet it gives rise to a 'feeling'. (I know that's banal but I don't know what you are getting at with your arguments)
To clarify:
The instinct is the result of millions of years of adaptation in the genetic learning system. For example, imagine a group of storks flying over an island where a volcano has formed a new mountain in their flight path, some storks would have a tendency to go east around the mountain and some west, as a result of their genetic makeup, which differs slightly between individuals. If all the storks that fly west around the mountain perish - perhaps the west route is too long - then only those storks with an instinctive orientation to fly east will survive. This is genetic learning and creates the instinctive self. If you were to put a conscious mind in one of these storks and it decided it would like to fly west around the mountain, not knowing any reason why not to, the storks instincts would try to steer it back on course through what can only be called 'conscience' (something which can be observed often in naughty dogs and, of course in humans). Of course, if the stork defies this instinctive orientation it will die.

The instincts are the result of the gene-based learning system, they are non-verbal and develop over time through evolution, they cause feelings of 'conscience' when disobeyed by a conscious intellect or 'mind', as you put it, which arises from a complex nerve-based learning system which can adapt behaviour through observing cause and effect. By observing and remembering cause and effect the nerve based learning system can connect ideas about the past and make predictions about the future which is what enables it to self manage. As far as we know, humans are the only animals with fully conscious minds. We are also the only animal we know of who are intellect-dominated rather than instinct-dominated.

I hope that has cleared it up but I will be happy to try again if you remain unsatisfied.
Kinch
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 11:16 pm
Quote:
The world is less divisive in some ways and from some perspectives, education and communication have helped to some extent but they have also helped destroy and enslave many races (the Australian Aborigines, and the African people in the USA for example (obviously the latter's situation has improved vastly). However there has not been a day of peace in the world for a ridiculously long time, there is great division between the have's and have not's, both within individual countries and more drastically on a world scale, there is also an ever increasing division between humans and nature and also a rising tide of youth suicides and drug abuse. There are also people being tortured as I write this - the world is still a very divisive place.

True, but there is a greater awareness in more people and much more globally as to how wrong these actions are. Back in the ancient days, people live by their tribes and people outside their group might be considered as "less than human". There are even more people tortured and the methods were more brutal in the ancient days.

The advent of human right and liberalism was from the same conscious search for knowledge that you have accused of being the main factor in the human condition. Plato accepted people of all races and nations as "humans", and John Locke, the British philosopher, inspired the French Enlightenment which gave rise to the deistic movement, a breakaway from the political dogma of medieval Christianity. Kant formulized his "categorical imperative" and defined human dignity.

Galileo and Newton were not cruel men, and their genius progressed scientific knowledge.

Quote:
To try and answer your second point I will use one of Griffith's own analogy's. Consider a stork (Griffith calls this hypothetical bird Adam Stork) now Adam Stork has a hereditary memory or instinctive orientation to fly from Africa back to Europe come summer and to follow a specific migratory path. There is no reason to deviate from this path as it will take him safely home. However what would happen if we could somehow stick a conscious mind that can reach insights and learn from trial and error in Adam stork's head? Adam Stork might see an island off his migration path that has some tasty apples on it (it is irrelevant whether storks eat apples or not, it's just a nice 'Eden' reference). His new conscious mind has no understanding of why he should stick to his migration path and so he flies off course to get the apples, at this point he would experience what we call 'conscience'; a bad feeling. This is his instincts (not verbally) saying "don't do that, the migration path is the right way to go". It does not matter that his instinctive course is the right way for Adam Stork to go because his conscious mind needs to understand why it is the right way to go. Because of this Adam Stork would have to ignore his 'conscience' to find understanding, thereby developing the beginnings of the "Stork Condition".
Griffith says that the same thing happened with humans 2 million (approx.) years ago, except rather than a migration path being deviated from it was co-operative behaviour. To justify themselves against the bad feelings their conscience gave them our ancestors had to find understanding of the gene-based and nerve-based learning systems, evolution, Thermodynamics etc. etc. if we could somehow go back and give the early hominids a crash course in the history of human knowledge no conflict would ever emerge, because they could understand what was happening.

Conscience is learned and is not an instinct. This consciousness which you speak of gave rise to empathy. If you look at a person moving and talking, you instantly know that they are people. Why? because we connect ideas and images rapidly in our mind, letting us "know" that they are people, like we are.

You could say that Marx, Lenin, or the eugenist searched for knowledge, but we must realize that in the search for knowledge some people may take the wrong path or the wrong reasoning. Lenin was mesianic. He believed so much in his idea that he gave little room for agruments. The eugenist, in contradiction to reason, were influenced by "instincts" that made them prejudiced against people who are different from they are. It is instincts that are the primary fault for the human condition.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 11:21 pm
Why is it a common assumption that life is better now than it was for our ancestors?

Do we all believe the 'story of progress' that intensely?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 11:27 pm
welcome to a2k .
Quote:
(systems move towards greater complexity).
. NOW, please stop with the bullshit.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:14 am
Re: The Human Condition and the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics
Kinch wrote:
John Jones wrote:
Kinch wrote:
John Jones wrote:

Most of your arguments hinge on a word that has no explanatory value - 'instinct'.

This keeps coming up. I'll try to clarify:

"At a public lecture I listened to Arthur Koestler airing his opinion that the human species was mad...as a result of an inadequate co-ordination between two areas of the brain - the 'rational' neocortex and the 'instinctual hypothalamus..."
(Bruce Chatwin, The Songlines, 1987)

"Jung Regards the unconscious mind as not only the repository of forgotten or repressed memories, but also of racial memories. This is reasonable enough when we remember the definition of instinct as racial memory"
(International University Society's Reading Course and Biographical Studies, Volume 6, c 1940.)

'The Tao acts through Natural Law…
From ancient times to the present,
Its name ever remains,
Through the experience of the Collective Origin.'
(From the 21st passage of Tao Te Ching, attributed to Lao Tzu [604-531 BC], as translated by R.L. Wing.)

'The great frontier between the two types of mentality is the line which separates non-primate mammals from apes and monkeys. On one side of that line behaviour is dominated by hereditary memory, and on the other by individual causal memory…The phyletic history of the primate soul can clearly be traced in the mental evolution of the human child. The highest primate, man, is born an instinctive animal. All its behaviour for a long period after birth is dominated by the instinctive mentality…' (Eugène Marais, The Soul of the Ape, written in the 1930s, published in 1969.)

'Oh wearisome Condition of Humanity!
Borne under one Law, to another bound:
Vainely begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sicke, commanded to be sound:
What meaneth Nature by these diverse Lawes?
Passion and Reason, selfe-division cause:'
(Fulke Greville, from his play Mustapha, c 1594-96.)

These quotes (I'd give you more but they're all I have at hand) demonstrate what I mean by instinctive, it is the hereditary memory of the behaviours developed by the genetic learning system over time.
Hereditary memory as opposed to individual causal understanding.
Hope that's helped,
Kinch

Instinct, then, is a commonly used word, but without a consistent meaning. Not only that, but the best meaning it does have does not make sense. It is not acceptable to use a word that refers to both an experience and the physical, as if to provide a meaningful link between them. To say 'some feelings are caused by instinct' commits a number of errors. First, no causal explanation links mind and matter; second, not only is the term instinct vague about its nature (mind or matter?), but it seems to switch its nature between mind and matter depending on what feelings are being considered. So which is it? Mind or matter?

The division between mind and matter is not so concrete as you imagine. I suggest you read some studies on quantum uncertainty and sub-atomic particles, in these fields of research scientists find it very hard to distinguish between subject/object mind/matter.
If you have a problem with 'matter' causing 'feelings' simply imagine what you would feel if you struck a child in the face, or refused to give food to someone starving - it is called 'conscience' and is the result of an instinctive orientation to co-operative behaviour. Also just imagine being struck by a ball in the testicles this is the interplay of matter upon matter, yet it gives rise to a 'feeling'. (I know that's banal but I don't know what you are getting at with your arguments)
To clarify:
The instinct is the result of millions of years of adaptation in the genetic learning system. For example, imagine a group of storks flying over an island where a volcano has formed a new mountain in their flight path, some storks would have a tendency to go east around the mountain and some west, as a result of their genetic makeup, which differs slightly between individuals. If all the storks that fly west around the mountain perish - perhaps the west route is too long - then only those storks with an instinctive orientation to fly east will survive. This is genetic learning and creates the instinctive self. If you were to put a conscious mind in one of these storks and it decided it would like to fly west around the mountain, not knowing any reason why not to, the storks instincts would try to steer it back on course through what can only be called 'conscience' (something which can be observed often in naughty dogs and, of course in humans). Of course, if the stork defies this instinctive orientation it will die.

The instincts are the result of the gene-based learning system, they are non-verbal and develop over time through evolution, they cause feelings of 'conscience' when disobeyed by a conscious intellect or 'mind', as you put it, which arises from a complex nerve-based learning system which can adapt behaviour through observing cause and effect. By observing and remembering cause and effect the nerve based learning system can connect ideas about the past and make predictions about the future which is what enables it to self manage. As far as we know, humans are the only animals with fully conscious minds. We are also the only animal we know of who are intellect-dominated rather than instinct-dominated.

I hope that has cleared it up but I will be happy to try again if you remain unsatisfied.
Kinch

So instincts are not conscious. This means that anything we do that we are not conscious of is caused by an instinct. It also means that instinct is physical. We are also led to believe that 'instinct' is something more than the physical, but this is not possible.
Here is what we do when we use the term 'instinct': we invent a behaviour such as 'flying south for the winter' that we say could have a particular consciousness associated with it. When we assume or find that there is no consciousness associated with this behaviour then we say that the behaviour is caused physically. We say that it is caused by an 'instinct'. This is a mistake. First, saying that 'it is an instinct' says nothing more than that it is physically caused. Second, there are no grounds for splitting behaviour up into conscious and non-conscious (instinctual) acts. For behaviours are not found but are invented. What is the consciousness associated with the act of my having tea for breakfast and later going to the toilet?

The concept 'Behaviour' has two subdivisions - conscious behaviour and instinctual behaviour. This is the remit of the term 'instinct'. However, behaviours are not found but constructed by theory or some other preconceived idea. 'Conscious' and 'instinctual' behaviours are only classifications, and arise only within the context of a particular theory that constructs behaviours.
0 Replies