The Human Condition and the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics

yitwail

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 10:35 pm
that's a BookMark, probably.
0 Replies

Kinch

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 10:37 pm
Quote:
It is instinctive to hoard resources. Sharing (other than feeding offspring) generally has to be learned. If you don't believe that, spend time with young children. Or watch birds at a feeder or predators with their kill. Even when they have far more than they could possibly eat themselves, they do not willingly share.
Quote:

The Bonobos share their food with all members of the group (generally) so that shoudl address your first point. As for your 'proof', I have worked with a lot of young children and have found that they are very good natured and tend to share rather than be selfish. The problem occurs when children who have not been shown enough nurturing interact with others, this is when the fights emerge. As for your other examples, they are irrelevant. The bahaviour of birds and predators, like lions, has little to no bearing on a discussion of human development.
0 Replies

Kinch

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 10:47 pm
Okay, I read through the ideas you posted. I find them completely silly.

Here's why:

Right off the bat it starts with an assumption that 'the human condition' is some problem to be solved.
The human condition is what I call life.
The way I see it is: if you continue to live, and live well, then the 'human condition' is nothing more than an intellectual idea. What you do everyday, how you see the world, how you live: this is what ensures survival.
If what you are doing means you are not surviving, then the problem is not the 'human condition' but cultural.

This guy is starting off with his head in his azz.
Humanity was not born flawed and incomplete; however the "great philosophies and religions" you listed teach that we are.
That is the 'thought' that created the 'so-called' problem to begin with.

Salvation and answers to the human condition are not needed for people who know they were born onto the earth with everything they need.

thanks[/quote]

I will not go into a list of all the terrible things happening to people around the world as we speak to demonstate that there is a problem but I think you should consider that it is very easy in our priveleged position upon this earth to pretend everything is fine.

The argument here is not that humanity was 'born' (are you a creationist?) flawed and incomplete but that we have been in a chaotic state of our evolution as the result of the development of consciousness.

As for your remarks about religions being the cause of the human condition (an admission that it exists?) the three major religions (Christianity, Buddhism and Islam) only developed in the last 6 000 years or so, how do you explain conflicts preceding this time?
On that same point this theory does not support religions outright, it concedes that they have played a role in the human journey by being a kind of social conscience for man. Religions, however, have had a lot of problems because they did not solve the human condition but only pointed it out. This meant that they accused humans of being bad, rather than explaining why, despite appearances, we are actually good. The fact that religions did not explain the human condition has also led to many of them developing fundamentalist sects.

i agree (to an extent) that sound people. people who 'know they were born onto this earth with everything they need' don't really need saving but I think you overestimate how many of those people there are and you are, perhaps, being a little unscientific about the reasons they are that way.
0 Replies

Kinch

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 10:53 pm
flushd wrote:
p.s.

I think this guy, Griffin's, theory is great example of 'the Fall'.
People thinking they can rule like gods, and have the wisdom of gods.

Could you please explain how Griffin's ? (who is Griffin?) is an example of the fal;, I think his theory explains the myth of the Fall itself.
0 Replies

Kinch

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 10:56 pm
Ray wrote:
Yeah I was wondering that too, wasn't the second law suppose to mean that thing tend to go in the direction of maximum entropy?

Yes, an example of this is the sun, which is moving in the direction of maximum entropy as it loses energy. In an ultimate sense negative entropy is not relevant, eventually all things will move into thermodynamic equilibrium (so the theory goes and I tend to agree) but in an open system like the earth which receives energy from the sun entropy can be reversed (negative entropy) until the outside energy source runs out of energy itself.
Kinch
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 12:24 am
No, see that might be the mistake.

Entropy in Wikipedia

Quote:
The total entropy of an isolated system can never decrease.
Since its discovery, the idea that disorder tends to increase has been the focus of a great deal of thought, some of it confused. A chief point of confusion is the fact that the Second Law applies only to isolated systems. For example, the Earth is not an isolated system because it is constantly receiving energy in the form of sunlight. Nevertheless, it has been pointed out that the universe may be considered an isolated system, so that its total disorder should be constantly increasing. We will discuss the implications of this idea in the section on Entropy and cosmology.

The Earth is part of an isolated system. It might still be controversial, someone with more knowledge of physics would explain better.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 01:03 am
Quote:
I agree with you that if a child is not nurtured or socialized enough they can be' 'brutalized' into killers, selfish people etc. but this begs the question, if these people were brutalized into this condition, the parents who did this to them must also have been 'brutalized, and their parents and theirs etc. etc. and it had to begin somewhere, this theory offers the only explanation I can find for this conundrum of human nature.

I don't understand. If a person turns out to be a killer, he or she might have had bad childhood experiences that took over their rational mind. It does not necessarily mean that their parents were brutalized, etc.

Quote:
Just in case anyone is not sure what I mean by the human condition I will give a brief explanation. All humanity feels that the right way to act is co-operatively, lovingly and integratively (if anyone would like to scoff at this punch yourself in the nose and then do so) however looking around us we see a world of war, destruction, hatred, depression, drug abuse, rape, destruction of the environment etc. etc. This is the fundamental problem of the human condition. All the great philosophies, religions and a few of the more thoughtful scientists have dealt with this problem directly. It has led to all manner of concepts, including God (or Allah or Brahma etc.) the soul, the ultimate form of the good, and (dare I say it?) the Ubermensch, but is there a scientific explanation for this hellish state of affairs?

Don't you think there are a lot of reasons why these negative events are occuring? There are wars because people do not come to an agreement over something, or because the "brutalized" people are in power over the military. In these cases often you would see an "us" vs. "them" mentality.
There are also psychological theories as to sociopathic/psychopathic and paraphilic behaviours in people, and I don't see the theory mentioning any of it.

Quote:
His solution to this age old question of The Fall is deceptively simple and rather profound. Basically when the nerve-networks in the brain become complex enough they can associate past and present events and begin to 'understand' the world in a way that most animals do not (to the same extent). Griffith says that this ability developed fully in our species about 2 million years ago and that when this happened, the human condition emerged. The problem was that, unlike the genetic learning system, the nerve-based learning system in a fully conscious animal does not have an established way of behaving, it needs to learn for itself. Ineveitably, this led to humans, far back in our remote past, experimenting in self management. This seems innocent enough but the problem was that our instincts, not being insighful, could not possibly understand that the conscious mind or intellect had to search for knowledge. This meant that whenever our ancient ancestors would attempt to self manage, and inadvertantly go against their instincts (even something as simple as leaving their home to explore or hording fruit for themselves instead of sharing) they would face opposition from their instinctive self or 'conscience'. This conscience would have felt like a parent saying 'You're bad' and, having no way to explain what he was doing, our ancestor would have had to prove his worth by experimenting further and lashing out against those who were not yet 'sinning' or going against their instincts. This situation led to a rejection and eventual hatred of the instinctive or 'innocent' self and attacks on everything that represented it - nature, women, children and, ultimately, their 'true' instinctive selves.

I'm sorry but I can't agree with this. The endeavor for knowledge usually does not go against anyone's conscience unless the endeavor involved something morally wrong. I can see a person questioning his or her belief because he or she understands that what he or she was taught might not be correct, but I can't see a well-minded person to abandon his conscience in questioning his knowledge. I've been through this before, and I came to the conclusion that sides with the moral spectrum. As I've concluded from my rational and empirical analysis, I come to the belief that morality has in it a basis of truth. Hence from my experience, learning was the best way that I enhanced my moral understanding.

To my understanding, the human condition you mentioned is a result of an emphasis of importance in oneself over another person's. It does not have to do with knowledge, but it's an evolutionary leftover of the basic reward-punishment mentality of the primitive species.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 01:09 am
Kinch wrote:
AngeliqueEast wrote:
BM

pardon?

Yes, it's a book mark. I'm interested in the thread, and just want to read but not participate. Some people BM, and participate
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 01:15 am
Re: The Human Condition and the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics
Kinch wrote:
This meant that whenever our ancient ancestors would attempt to self manage, and inadvertantly go against their instincts (even something as simple as leaving their home to explore or hording fruit for themselves instead of sharing) they would face opposition from their instinctive self or 'conscience'. This conscience would have felt like a parent saying 'You're bad' and, having no way to explain what he was doing, our ancestor would have had to prove his worth by experimenting further and lashing out against those who were not yet 'sinning' or going against their instincts.

He also claims that humanity (apart from a few) is living in an almost total denial of their instinctive self or 'soul' because the instinctive memory of their integrated, loving past is too depressing in light of their divisive, hateful present.

i had time on my hands so i even visited the link you provided. i still would like to see you clarify a couple of your points, which i've quoted. first, how is the self-managing ancestral human supposed to be receiving messages from a non-verbal instinctual self? a parent saying "you're bad" isn't a great analogy to use for a hominid that lacked language. that's not a mere assertion by the way: homininds of 2 million years ago lacked the vocal apparatus for speech, let alone brain structures like Broca's area & Wernicke's area. the most i can accept is that going against instinct would result in some physical discomfort, which seems more likely to result in a decline of that behavior, rather than an escalation.

i also have difficulty with your notion of an "instinctive memory." an instinct is reflexive behavior that occurs automatically when the right conditions are present, and unless there's some neurological damage, it can't be consciously repressed, yet you suggest just that when you state that humanity is in denial of it.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 01:22 am
spendius wrote:
JJ-

How did we humans learn to place lines like that on a thread and keep them under wraps in a pub close to the last bell.

Since JJ is too modest to reply, may I suggest it's a gift? (to humanity, perhaps)
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 01:45 am
I don't understand JJ...
0 Replies

Kinch

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 07:44 am
It is true that hominids 2 million years ago had no speech, speech developed as the need to find and express understandings about the world became more and more imperative (culinating in modern science).
You are correct naturally there would not have been a verbal message from the instinctive self, the whole point is that the instinct was 'ignorant' in a sense and could not understand the growing curiosity of our ancestors. The result of going against the instinct would have been a bad feeling a 'twinge of conscience', and yes it seems as if this may have led to a decrease in self management but, evidently, it did not. I do not think that our ancestors could really stop their curiosity once it began. As it is widely acknowledge that our instincts are co-operatively orientated it is fair to say tha this behaviour must have escalated as the human world today is a highly divisive, violent and alienated one.

'Instinctive memory' would perhaps be better phrased as 'instinctive expectation' a child comes into the world geared for co-operation and find a world full of hate and division which leads to the continuance of the psychosis.
And yes, the instinct is not repressed as such, but is (depending on many factors) ignored to a certain degree. Griffith outlines how this explains various stages in human life, the most significant occuring at around the age of 15 (again this depends on many factors) when a teenager, after going through the introverted, withdrawn and deeply depressed state most young people experience during high school eventually resigns themself and says 'that's just the way the world is' or (and this is more and more the case) kill themself because they lack explanation for why the world and themselves cannot behave properly.

I hope I have addressed your questions adequately, but feel free to point out if I have not. Thanks for the criricism, keeps me thinking.
Kinch
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 09:14 am
Kinch wrote:
As it is widely acknowledge that our instincts are co-operatively orientated it is fair to say tha this behaviour must have escalated as the human world today is a highly divisive, violent and alienated one.

I hope I have addressed your questions adequately, but feel free to point out if I have not. Thanks for the criricism, keeps me thinking.
Kinch

you're welcome, and i thank you for considering my remarks seriously, despite the non-standard capitalization. in your reply to Terry you made the same claim that the instinctive basis of cooperative behavior in our species is widely acknowledged. i don't think you would suggest that this belief is universal; observations such as "the world is governed by self-interest" indicate some dissension. moreover, prevalence of a belief is no guarantee of its correctness. so, what evidence is there that cooperation is instinctual in humans? your remarks suggest to me that the main evidence is analogy with Bonobos. i don't find that convincing, especially since you proposed that upright posture was a key factor in the development of this instinct in humans, whereas Bonobos lack upright posture.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 12:52 pm
Kinch wrote:
quote]
..humans have an instinctive orientation to co-operation and selfless behaviour, [...] If you are hungry and have the desire to eat that is instinctive,

To say that 'I have an instinctive orientation to co-operate' might mean this:
Whether or not I am conscious of co-operating, it means that there is some force (instinct) that makes me do it. This force (instinct) cannot be a feeling. If it was a feeling I would feel forced to co-operate, and in that case, I could not be said to be co-operating from choice. But if instinct is not a force, and if it is not a feeling, then what else could we mean by it?

On the other hand, if you say that feelings of good-will (or desire, etc) are instinctive and force us to be good, then we are led to this idea: 'feelings force us to do things'. But this says that mind must affect matter. But as instinct is presumed to be physically based, then instinct must cause our feelings - we are brought to a contradiction.

The best prospect would be to abandon the term 'instinct'. It never does any good to introduce new terms in an attempt to facilitate explanation or elucidation. Particularly, the term instinctive 'orientation' is somewhat of a contradiction itself. We would not suppose that matter, as the basis of instinct, could have orientations or preferences. The problem with the term 'instinct' is that it tries to unite mind and matter in one term, but mind and matter cannot be so merged. The term 'instinct' is historically important but I would dump it.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 12:23 am
Quote:
As it is widely acknowledge that our instincts are co-operatively orientated it is fair to say tha this behaviour must have escalated as the human world today is a highly divisive, violent and alienated one.

But it is less divisive and violent than say in the middle ages. It seems that a movement in education and communication within and between countries have created a less divisive world.

If it's not too much trouble can you explain what you meant by a person's search of knowledge going against this thing you called an instinctive drive?
0 Replies

Kinch

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 03:47 am
yitwail wrote:
Kinch wrote:

Kinch

you're welcome, and i thank you for considering my remarks seriously, despite the non-standard capitalization. in your reply to Terry you made the same claim that the instinctive basis of cooperative behavior in our species is widely acknowledged. i don't think you would suggest that this belief is universal; observations such as "the world is governed by self-interest" indicate some dissension. moreover, prevalence of a belief is no guarantee of its correctness. so, what evidence is there that cooperation is instinctual in humans? your remarks suggest to me that the main evidence is analogy with Bonobos. i don't find that convincing, especially since you proposed that upright posture was a key factor in the development of this instinct in humans, whereas Bonobos lack upright posture.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 04:32 am
Kinch wrote:
yitwail wrote:
Kinch wrote:

Kinch

Most of your arguments hinge on a word that has no explanatory value - 'instinct'.
0 Replies

Kinch

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:13 am
John Jones wrote:

Most of your arguments hinge on a word that has no explanatory value - 'instinct'.

This keeps coming up. I'll try to clarify:

"At a public lecture I listened to Arthur Koestler airing his opinion that the human species was mad...as a result of an inadequate co-ordination between two areas of the brain - the 'rational' neocortex and the 'instinctual hypothalamus..."
(Bruce Chatwin, The Songlines, 1987)

"Jung Regards the unconscious mind as not only the repository of forgotten or repressed memories, but also of racial memories. This is reasonable enough when we remember the definition of instinct as racial memory"
(International University Society's Reading Course and Biographical Studies, Volume 6, c 1940.)

'The Tao acts through Natural Law…
From ancient times to the present,
Its name ever remains,
Through the experience of the Collective Origin.'
(From the 21st passage of Tao Te Ching, attributed to Lao Tzu [604-531 BC], as translated by R.L. Wing.)

'The great frontier between the two types of mentality is the line which separates non-primate mammals from apes and monkeys. On one side of that line behaviour is dominated by hereditary memory, and on the other by individual causal memory…The phyletic history of the primate soul can clearly be traced in the mental evolution of the human child. The highest primate, man, is born an instinctive animal. All its behaviour for a long period after birth is dominated by the instinctive mentality…' (Eugène Marais, The Soul of the Ape, written in the 1930s, published in 1969.)

'Oh wearisome Condition of Humanity!
Borne under one Law, to another bound:
Vainely begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sicke, commanded to be sound:
What meaneth Nature by these diverse Lawes?
Passion and Reason, selfe-division cause:'
(Fulke Greville, from his play Mustapha, c 1594-96.)

These quotes (I'd give you more but they're all I have at hand) demonstrate what I mean by instinctive, it is the hereditary memory of the behaviours developed by the genetic learning system over time.
Hereditary memory as opposed to individual causal understanding.
Hope that's helped,
Kinch
0 Replies

Kinch

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:38 am
[quote="Ray]
But it is less divisive and violent than say in the middle ages. It seems that a movement in education and communication within and between countries have created a less divisive world.

If it's not too much trouble can you explain what you meant by a person's search of knowledge going against this thing you called an instinctive drive?[/quote]

The world is less divisive in some ways and from some perspectives, education and communication have helped to some extent but they have also helped destroy and enslave many races (the Australian Aborigines, and the African people in the USA for example (obviously the latter's situation has improved vastly). However there has not been a day of peace in the world for a ridiculously long time, there is great division between the have's and have not's, both within individual countries and more drastically on a world scale, there is also an ever increasing division between humans and nature and also a rising tide of youth suicides and drug abuse. There are also people being tortured as I write this - the world is still a very divisive place.

To try and answer your second point I will use one of Griffith's own analogy's. Consider a stork (Griffith calls this hypothetical bird Adam Stork) now Adam Stork has a hereditary memory or instinctive orientation to fly from Africa back to Europe come summer and to follow a specific migratory path. There is no reason to deviate from this path as it will take him safely home. However what would happen if we could somehow stick a conscious mind that can reach insights and learn from trial and error in Adam stork's head? Adam Stork might see an island off his migration path that has some tasty apples on it (it is irrelevant whether storks eat apples or not, it's just a nice 'Eden' reference). His new conscious mind has no understanding of why he should stick to his migration path and so he flies off course to get the apples, at this point he would experience what we call 'conscience'; a bad feeling. This is his instincts (not verbally) saying "don't do that, the migration path is the right way to go". It does not matter that his instinctive course is the right way for Adam Stork to go because his conscious mind needs to understand why it is the right way to go. Because of this Adam Stork would have to ignore his 'conscience' to find understanding, thereby developing the beginnings of the "Stork Condition".
Griffith says that the same thing happened with humans 2 million (approx.) years ago, except rather than a migration path being deviated from it was co-operative behaviour. To justify themselves against the bad feelings their conscience gave them our ancestors had to find understanding of the gene-based and nerve-based learning systems, evolution, Thermodynamics etc. etc. if we could somehow go back and give the early hominids a crash course in the history of human knowledge no conflict would ever emerge, because they could understand what was happening.
The whole purpose of this evolutionary development, according to Griffith, was that by forcing our ancestor's to abandon their instincts and home in search of knowledge (causing the rapid increase in brain volume in humans which stopped increasing about 50 000 years ago) it means that we can now return to a co-operative state not as ignorant, instinctual apes but as highly intelligent, completely co-operative humans able to live all over the world in many different climates.
Griffith maintains that this line of events would follow (in one form or another) in any species that developed consciousness.
Hope that's helped,
Kinch
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 01:17 pm
Kinch wrote:
John Jones wrote:

This keeps coming up. I'll try to clarify:

"At a public lecture I listened to Arthur Koestler airing his opinion that the human species was mad...as a result of an inadequate co-ordination between two areas of the brain - the 'rational' neocortex and the 'instinctual hypothalamus..."
(Bruce Chatwin, The Songlines, 1987)

"Jung Regards the unconscious mind as not only the repository of forgotten or repressed memories, but also of racial memories. This is reasonable enough when we remember the definition of instinct as racial memory"
(International University Society's Reading Course and Biographical Studies, Volume 6, c 1940.)

'The Tao acts through Natural Law…
From ancient times to the present,
Its name ever remains,
Through the experience of the Collective Origin.'
(From the 21st passage of Tao Te Ching, attributed to Lao Tzu [604-531 BC], as translated by R.L. Wing.)

'The great frontier between the two types of mentality is the line which separates non-primate mammals from apes and monkeys. On one side of that line behaviour is dominated by hereditary memory, and on the other by individual causal memory…The phyletic history of the primate soul can clearly be traced in the mental evolution of the human child. The highest primate, man, is born an instinctive animal. All its behaviour for a long period after birth is dominated by the instinctive mentality…' (Eugène Marais, The Soul of the Ape, written in the 1930s, published in 1969.)

'Oh wearisome Condition of Humanity!
Borne under one Law, to another bound:
Vainely begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sicke, commanded to be sound:
What meaneth Nature by these diverse Lawes?
Passion and Reason, selfe-division cause:'
(Fulke Greville, from his play Mustapha, c 1594-96.)

These quotes (I'd give you more but they're all I have at hand) demonstrate what I mean by instinctive, it is the hereditary memory of the behaviours developed by the genetic learning system over time.
Hereditary memory as opposed to individual causal understanding.
Hope that's helped,
Kinch

Instinct, then, is a commonly used word, but without a consistent meaning. Not only that, but the best meaning it does have does not make sense. It is not acceptable to use a word that refers to both an experience and the physical, as if to provide a meaningful link between them. To say 'some feelings are caused by instinct' commits a number of errors. First, no causal explanation links mind and matter; second, not only is the term instinct vague about its nature (mind or matter?), but it seems to switch its nature between mind and matter depending on what feelings are being considered. So which is it? Mind or matter?
0 Replies