This is really, really disgusting.

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 09:43 pm
I stopped at the hospital today to visit someone. I very seldom go to hospitals because most of my friends are healthy. So, this was the first time I had been to a hospital in quite some time.

What's the first thing I see as I enter the lobby? A friggin' McDonalds!!!

In the friggin' hospital!!!

What the frig is up with that?

I stopped a doctor who was walking down the hall and asked him about it. I said, "Hey, Doc, am I seeing things right? You have a friggin' McDonalds in the hospital?'

Hey said, "I know. Sad, isn't it?"

"You're damn right it's sad, Doc", I replied. "What else do they have in this joint? Can I buy some cheap liquor and a pack of cigarettes around here?"

The good doctor chuckled and continued on his daily rounds.

It's a sad day in this country that we allow McDonalds to invade our hospitals.

What's next? Should we have pedophiles running the day care?

Or pyromaniacs in the fire department?

I need a drink.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,649 • Replies: 77
No top replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 09:57 pm
i've seen one in a Children's Hospital. if they must have a franchise, it ought to be a starbucks IMO.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 09:58 pm
Well, that certainly is disgusting. At the Ohio State University Medical Center, they'd have none of that . . .

. . . they have a Wendy's.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 10:45 pm
So how was your supersized Big Mac xtra value meal with apple pie?

Hey man, they sell grilled chicken. If only the fat people weren't so fat, they'd order that instead.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 10:52 pm
Yeah, and it's been decades since a patient could get a pack of Camels without walking that mile.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 01:40 am
If you want a heightened sense of how inappropriate it really is, rent a movie called, "Supersize Me."
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 02:22 am
Re: This is really, really disgusting.
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
What's the first thing I see as I enter the lobby? A friggin' McDonalds!!!

In the friggin' hospital!!!

But McDonalds have that new, healthy menu, don't they? Rolling Eyes <sigh>

And they're now probably subsidizing that hospital's running costs. Cheaper for the local government, the patients ... isn't that the theory? <sigh>

Privatization, by stealth. Eat McDonalds & keep your hospital open. Because the government doesn't want to pay what it costs. <sigh>
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 03:45 am
That really sucks.

It's like a factory for health capitalism - help make 'em sick, pay a bit towards correcting what you help do, and capitalize on people being gathered together around the sick - while looking good to anyone who doesn't think...

Perfect...
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 04:03 am
Health care has been a marketable commodity for years. You know we really do live in very sick societies.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 04:14 am
Yeah - and those disgusting American HMOs wanna get their claws into our system, and milk US.

I suspect it won't be long before the protections - such as they were - in the free trade agreement (except for commodities the US doesn't want to let in cos we are more efficient producers, but I digress) are attacked.

You think it bad now?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 06:05 am
dlowan wrote:
Yeah - and those disgusting American HMOs wanna get their claws into our system, and milk US.

I suspect it won't be long before the protections - such as they were - in the free trade agreement (except for commodities the US doesn't want to let in cos we are more efficient producers, but I digress) are attacked.

You think it bad now?

I am keeping an eye on my medicines. Already I think they are more expensive than they used to be but that could be paranoid me. Howard has sold us out for a pat on the head. Our farmers will go berserk but of course the Nats have made an art form of selling them out.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 09:01 am
Yep, disgusting.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 09:07 am
bm
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 09:11 am
Truly excellent article about American health care here:

http://www.newyorker.com/printables/fact/050829fa_fact

Brought a lot of things into focus for me.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 09:11 am
goodfielder wrote:
dlowan wrote:

You think it bad now?

I am keeping an eye on my medicines. Already I think they are more expensive than they used to be but that could be paranoid me. Howard has sold us out for a pat on the head. Our farmers will go berserk but of course the Nats have made an art form of selling them out.

I dunno - I have fought this one out with Craven - and he persuaded me there is a good argument that "free trade" has benefits for the third world....

But I think the way it is pushed - and distorted - by powers like America - is not good.

But - I don't know from economics...
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 09:20 am
Well, at least at the hospital McDonald's you won't be as shocked to find a syringe in your Big Mac. It creeps me out when that happens at the one they have inside Wal Mart.
0 Replies

barefootTia

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 09:23 am
0 Replies

barefootTia

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 09:33 am
Hospital vs. McDonald's in Fast Food Fightsource
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 09:46 am
dlowan wrote

Quote:
those disgusting American HMOs

Say what you will, I don't know of any country -- anywhere in the world --that has a medical care system that is flawless.

Socialized medicine certainly has its flaws. I'd much rather stick with the system (including the HMO's) that we currently have in the US, thank you very much.

I have yet to see any country (including Australia) that has come up with a way to provide medical care that doesn't have both advantages and disadvantages.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 09:49 am
Yep - that is true.

But I will be fighting any attempt to introduce yours here tooth and nail.
0 Replies