Government or Citizens - Who Should Handle Disaster?

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 03:45 pm
Tuned into talk radio today. Some other guy was sitting in for Rush. Not sure who he was.

The question came up whether government or citizens are supposed to help each other out when disaster strikes.

The jest of the statement was that smaller government is good. We should not rely on government to come to the rescue all the time, as that is not the role of government. Citizens and charities are supposed to rise to the occasion. So, stop demanding the government come give you food and a ride outta town.

Discuss.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,187 • Replies: 21
No top replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 03:49 pm
Why not both? Relying on just one or the other is asking for trouble. I agree that we shouldn't look towards government to fix every problem but they do have resources beyond what ordinary citizens can provide and should help out in these situations.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 04:16 pm
jp--

Quote:
Why not both? Relying on just one or the other is asking for trouble. I agree that we shouldn't look towards government to fix every problem but they do have resources beyond what ordinary citizens can provide and should help out in these situations.

Well reasoned, well stated. I agree.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 04:27 pm
Both indeed.

I would hope government and disaster agencies would be able to take a leadership role once they are in - but surely we all help each other as much as we are able when any kind of trouble strikes?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 04:46 pm
I found from first hand experience after hurricane Fran hit Raleigh in 1996, that neighbors and community are a very important part of dealing with a disaster. I'm not sure how well we would have coped had it not been for friends and neighbors.

Even total strangers came through the neighborhood offering to remove trees, clear roads, etc. The insurance agents were right there, too. Ready to write out checks and make our home as complete as it could be again.

But, we don't live downtown. We had insurance. We had enough food to get by. We had cash on hand. We called immediately and found a furnished apartment to rent, and had there been electricity we would have been able to get utilities turned on without deposits.

For the people less fortunate, charities and all levels of government were crucial. Some had family and friends, but the majority needed shelter, clothing, food, etc. all the way down to replacement school supplies. Had they been waiting for Bear and I to help, it would have been over a week due to us needing to get our own family resettled and home damages dealt with.

I didn't finish listening to the Rush Substitute, so I can't say what conversation took place after his initial introduction of the topic as I outlined it above. I just couldn't believe someone would espouse that we shouldn't expect our government to help. The government has the supplies and ability to move large quantities, not the neighborhoods.

Did anyone hear the program that agreed with the guest host?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 05:50 pm
Some nut on Fox said people ought not to expect government help?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 06:39 pm
Right wing radio - Rush Limbaugh is the radio version of Fox News, though not affiliated. Sorta the male Ann Coulter of the party.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 07:26 pm
Oh, him I have listened to - he's a nut job.

Do you have the quote?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 07:35 pm
If the government dosen't want to help that's fine. Just eliminate taxes.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 07:37 pm
Don't you think it's unrealistic to expect the government to be responsible to transport a city in, sometimes, one day?

I don't think you're thinking.

And, would you still blame the city if the people who are now screaming to go, refused to go the day before the storm?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 07:48 pm
Who you talking to?

I haven't blamed anyone.

I just think it reasonable to expect government help in a disaster.

I have no idea if the government in the US has done a fabulous job or a lousy one, and have made no comment on the matter.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 07:55 pm
It was a general question to anyone with an opinion about it.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 07:59 pm
Another vote on both.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 08:26 pm
The Poconos gets a lot of winter weather. At least once every year the roads are impassable for several hours.

I expect the state and township road crews to be working overtime on clearing the major and minor arteries, but I hire a local to plow the driveway.

We have candles and lanterns and a kerosene heater to get through winter power blackouts, but I have no objection to my tax money being used to open emergency shelters in the township building and the fire hall.

In New Orleans people chose to stay in the city for their own reasons--but the government should have had emergency food and water available even if they were counting on the levees remaining solid.

I don't mean to make light of the misery of tens of thousands of people, but I hope this monumental SNAFU inspires both governments and individuals to make and to implement emergency plans.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 09:12 pm
Lash wrote:
Don't you think it's unrealistic to expect the government to be responsible to transport a city in, sometimes, one day?

I don't think you're thinking.

And, would you still blame the city if the people who are now screaming to go, refused to go the day before the storm?

The whole city, no. But those that don't have transportation, yes. The Governor of NC declares a mandatory evacuation for the outer banks of NC and tells everyone they must leave. They then transport those that can't leave on their own. Anyone that stays is on their own and they are told ahead of time.

Now, I know we are talking about smaller scale with outer banks v. New Orleans, but it could have been announced that city buses would be running their last route at noon and if you don't have a car, be at your nearest bus stop for a ride out of town.

If you don't have a city bus stop close by, school buses will also be running routes, so be at your nearest school bus stop or closest school.

They could hire coaches to evacuate senior centers, halfway houses and homes for the handicapped.

For those that are poor or infirmed, it's the only humane thing to do. Make it mandatory and then provide ways to help them follow the order. You can't expect them to just be on their own.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 09:14 pm
Squinney
Yes, I agree 100%!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 09:16 pm
We're talking about people who had no idea where they could go. They needed at least a place to stay!
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 10:50 pm
If someone is seriously suggesting that in a time of crisis government shouldn't have to help then I'd suggest that person has a very bad problem with reality. Whether you believe in so-called "big government" ormythical "small government" you must at least argue that government has as a role the care of society. Coordinating resources in an emergency surely is a required role of government? If not, then why have government?

I know what's going on here. This is a defence of the Bush Administration and Congress and various federal/state/local departments and agencies. It is as clear as a bell. The apologists know what is about to come and they're getting the propaganda out early.

I've deliberately refrained from making comment about the performance of the various authorities in the wake (bad pun but apt somehow) of Hurricane Katrina. That's because I think it's pretty bad form for a foreigner like me to start jabbering about it. It's a domestic issue so I will leave it alone. It's for Americans to sort out for themselves (the politics I mean, not the recovery - that's for everyone to chip in and help as much as they can).
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 01:26 am
Surely government is in the best position (& has a responsibility) to coordinate the response to an emergency. Government already has the resources in place to do this. Citizens, as volunteers, would often be more than willing to offer their time & help, if in a position to do so. Too often all citizens are asked for is money in these situations. Of course money is needed in times of emergency, but think of the untapped potential of properly organized volunteer help. But proper coordination is the key - which means a government in touch, well & truly motivated & up to the task.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 06:39 am
The Government, who and what is this government anyhow. Sure the "government " should and must help. It is after all an instrument of the people and supported by the peoples tax dollars. It is not a piggy bank for our repersentatives from which the pork flows.
0 Replies