Which is more biased: Fox News or Al-Jazeera?

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 11:41 am
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,168269,00.html

http://english.aljazeera.net/HomePage
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 678 • Replies: 17
No top replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 11:45 am
Hmmm...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 11:56 am
Voting is open, people! No waiting! Step right up, and make your voice heard!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 11:57 am
I voted. Don't ask how. figure it out.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 12:05 pm
Aah, finally someone is willing to step up! Thank you for your candor. Hopefully this will get this party started!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 12:55 pm
Wow, interesting poll numbers so far...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 12:59 pm
I voted for Fox News, and i hope they win ! ! !

When i want a shamelessly partisan right-wing slant to what passes for news in this country, and am not troubled by trivialities like accuracy or probity in the journalism profession, i turn to the Non-News Leader--FOX ! ! !
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 04:15 pm
Hmmm - so far, the Al Jazeera stories I have checked from your link come from Reuters, AP, and "agencies"....as far as I can see, they are pretty much reporting straight from news wires. They often do this...

Here is some more stuff from Reuters:

"U.S. black leaders condemn slow Katrina relief
Fri Sep 2, 2005 05:07 PM ET

Top News
Health crisis grips New Orleans even as help lands
Katrina images echo developing world disasters
Draining New Orleans could take 80 days- Army

MORE

By John Whitesides
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Black leaders on Friday condemned the slow response to the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina and said poor and mostly black storm victims in New Orleans were bearing the brunt of the suffering.

"We cannot allow......."

http://go.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=9550327&src=rss/topNews

Troops rolling in:

http://go.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=9550567&src=rss/topNews

"Draining new Orleans Could Take Eighty Days"

http://go.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=9550460&src=rss/topNews"advertisement

Fri Sep 2, 2005 05:21 PM ET

Top News
Health crisis grips New Orleans even as help lands
Draining New Orleans could take 80 days- Army

MORE

By Lesley Wroughton
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Images of desperate people clamoring for food dropped from military helicopters, armed soldiers in the streets and bodies floating in fetid water are usually associated with the world's poorest countries.

But this time, the scenes of death and despair are coming from a major city in the world's richest economy.

The suffering of New Orleans in the wake of Hurricane Katrina has shaken even hardened development experts at the World Bank, who deal with extreme poverty and disaster daily.

"In many ways this is turned into a developing country," said Margaret Arnold, the World Bank's natural disaster expert, who has dealt with some of the world's biggest natural disasters, including the Asian tsunami.

"I am shocked that this is happening in the U.S."

Arnold said Americans must take a hard look at how events have unfolded in the past few days.

"When all of this has calmed down, a lot of U.S. cities will have to do some real soul-searching," she said.

Arnold, whose sister lost her home in the hurricane, said it was clear the city was unprepared to weather the storm, although officials had long warned such a disaster was inevitable.........."

http://go.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=9550397&src=rss/topNews

So - are you saying Al Jazeera is biased, Kicky?

I only have time for a quick scan - but the news they are reporting looks remarkably like the news ffrom other sources - certainly from ones here - as well they might - they are taking them from the same feeds.

I have only had a quick look at Fox - which strikes me as being like war-time upbeat propaganda with all the emphasis on troops and guns and such - shrugs - what I would expect - but it does, still, report that things are not good.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 04:24 pm
Fox News. Since I think half of you criticise without having ever seen it, why not look at it and critique.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 05:01 pm
Lash I

I watch Fox News two or three mornings a week. The personalities on our local Fox station are likeable and entertaining and it is a good thing to put on for light news while getting ready for work.

I will at times watch their Sunday Morning poltical interviews if someone interesting is on.

I don't have the access or language skills to watch Al Jazeera, but I consider their English web site a pretty valuable resource to gauge the feelings of the Arab street, and to get a different perspective of events in the Middle East.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 05:04 pm
I have no disagreement, ebrown.

In conversations I've had here at A2K, I've asked people to detail reasons for their severe criticism of Fox, only to find out they've never seen it.

Certainly, Fox isn't above criticism, but one should at least watch it before saying it's no good. My current bone of contention, anyway.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 05:19 pm
The fact that enjoy Fox doesn't imply that I think their reporting (particularly on politics) is any good.

I watch it as entertainment, and to try to understand how the Reds think.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 05:34 pm
At least if you criticise it, you can say you've actually seen it.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 05:43 pm
lash is posting all over the place on a Friday night?

Trampoline in the shop honey?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 05:48 pm
Hey. If I put it out in the street EVERY weekend, I lose my allure.

Y tu, Bluedick?
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 06:57 pm
Fox, hands down.

And Lash, I have watched Fox.

As a matter of fact, I have done systematic comparisons, switching from one mainstream media to another until I see their particular reporting or 'take' on the same thing.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 07:57 pm
Submit your peer reviewed data, please.

We will study it closely.

<nods piously>
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 08:32 am
LOL. Pious, indeed.
0 Replies