Congress should get their butts back to DC to fund FEMA

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 12:39 pm
Why in hell is the congress still on their summer break? They should get their sorry butts back to DC to approve the additional 10 billion dollars to provide additional funding to FEMA to help the hurricane victims.

BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 601 • Replies: 12
No top replies

dragon49

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 12:43 pm
i read somewhere that they are having an emergency meeting tonight in DC.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 01:07 pm
BBB, FEMA has mismanaged the funds that come to them via us. They gave money to rich folks for burial of their dead. Why should we think that anything would change for the poor and indigent in the hurricane areas.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 01:18 pm
Letty
Letty, this ain't Florida where brother Jeb rules.

I think there are too many eyes watching what is going on in the tri-state areas and that most of the money will be used for the people it is intended to help. At least one can hope some of it will.

I'm so pissed at the congress (it seems I'm pissed a lot these days, doesn't it?) at the call to return to DC to take care of aid business.

Some of them whined that they were in different parts of the world. Well, damn, they found a way to get to those desitinations, they better find a way to get back to DC or we will have to assume they are too stupid to serve in congress.

Sheeesh!

BBB
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 02:21 pm
BBB

Do you ever say anything productive?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 02:34 pm
Re: Letty
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
... this ain't Florida where brother Jeb rules.

No, it is about FEMA and how they have made colossal errors in the past. Not just in Florida but everywhere.

As to the members of Congress returning, yes they did get to their various destinations but it takes some time to return and it was not immediately clear to everyone just how severe the level of damage from Hurricane Katrina was and how it would increase in severity over the following days. Until the levees failed it may have seemed that the worst was over as is usually the case with hurricanes. Since it has not been even a week yet I think we need to cut them a little slack in their return time. If you wee on vacation in some location and heard about the hurricane and heard it had passed and that the rain and wind had moved on, would you immediately start packing your bags to return home? Not until the total level of devastation was realized did this plan set into action and all things considered they are doing their best to get it together and get back as soon as is humanly possible. Could you do better? If so, do share the glorious details of HOW you would pull it all together along with your 14 points of salvation for the storm ravaged residents.

And to echo Chai Tea Do you EVER say ANYTHING PRODUCTIVE?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 02:38 pm
Come on, folks. There's no need to gang up on BBB because she feels passionate about things.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 02:54 pm
This isn't passion, it's obsession.

A very unhealthy one I might add.......

Have either of you offered to open up your home to displaced people?

What have you done to help?

I've asked several times - so I suppose I've gotten as obsessive as BBB - yet, not one answer that is productive.

Right this instant, the company I work for is taking in patients that need care, opening extra shift, putting displaced medical personnel to work in other states so they maintain an income, and contributing to disaster aid.

We have turned one our clinics whose contruction was not yet complete, into a dormitory.

I'll stop asking BA when she answers like an intelligent rational person, not some maniac running around out of control with her tiresome regurgitation.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 03:02 pm
dragon49 wrote:
i read somewhere that they are having an emergency meeting tonight in DC.

I think that's a little too late. I am disappointed that they extended their vacation a day past Monday. Sad
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 03:04 pm
They are going to vote on it this weekend. However, some GOP leaders are expressing concerns about rebuilding a city that lies below sea level.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-5249170,00.html

Quote:
Despite the haste involved in congressional action, one senior GOP leader seemed to express some ambivalence about the extent of longer-term recovery efforts.

Asked in an interview with the Daily Herald, a suburban Chicago paper, whether it makes sense to spend billions rebuilding a city that lies below sea level, a reference to New Orleans, Hastert replied, ``I don't know. That doesn't make sense to me.''

He added it was a question ``that certainly we should ask. And, you know, it looks like a lot of that place could be bulldozed.''

[the rest at the link]

Since I have been talking about this I feel the need to defend myself by saying that I am looking around for charity drives. Probably will contribute to the red cross. (do I need update with proof later?)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 03:08 pm
revel wrote:

(do I need update with proof later?)

Those who give the most often talk about it the least. No. :wink:
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 03:59 pm
Chai Tea
Chai Tea, I don't think you want to go there with your snide questions.

I've spent most of my adult life trying to right wrongs and help people who need it on a professional and volunteer basis---and, on a few occasions, have put my life on the line for it.

So don't try to mess with me over a test of compassion. You would lose.

BBB
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 08:11 am
Re: Chai Tea
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Chai Tea, I don't think you want to go there with your snide questions.

I've spent most of my adult life trying to right wrongs and help people who need it on a professional and volunteer basis---and, on a few occasions, have put my life on the line for it.

So don't try to mess with me over a test of compassion. You would lose.

BBB

I'm not being snide, those are legitimate questions, which you seem unwilling to answer.

I'm not testing your compassion.

I'm not trying to mess with you.

I don't have any spirit of competition, I couldn't care less about winning or lossing, it's all the same thing in the big cosmic wheel of life.

I wasn't aware of there was anything going on to win or lose between the two of us.....but if it makes you feel any better, fine, you win, I lose.

I don't even know anything about you......

I just wish you'd get off you soapbox and move on.......it's getting very tedious and boring, and obviously I'm not alone.

Really BBB........grow up, your remarks to me are childish and threatening.
0 Replies