Anyone ever did open mic comedy before?

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 07:29 am
You know, where anyone can go on stage and do a 3 or 5 minutes of comedy material you wrote?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,575 • Replies: 11
No top replies

material girl

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 07:43 am
Nooooo, but I have total admiration for anyone that does.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 07:02 pm
i've got a great idea, what about open mic comedy karaoke

guys love to repeat thier favourite comedians, and act out skits from comedy shows and movies

it would be perfect, and the drunker the crowd and participants got the better it would be

i think i've got a winner here
0 Replies

chris56789

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 02:24 am
material girl wrote:
Nooooo, but I have total admiration for anyone that does.

What if they suck?
0 Replies

snowflayk

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 08:24 am
I want to.......

It's a scary thought though, I wouldn't go up unless I had tested the material before on friends that could give honest critisism.

But I don't support the idea of immitating other comedians.... for the comedian's sake.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 06:53 pm
I have done some stand-up. It is not for the faint-hearted but if you can pull it off, you can do just about anything. I might add I did twenty years of oither type of performing, stage, film, cabaret before I ever attempted stand-up.

The first thing you have to do is write a routine, then find a place to practice it. I started doing my routine at folk clubs where no other comics performed. It was a double-edged sword as it was quite a change from the sometimes tedious acoustic guitar performers but OTOH people were not expecting a stand-up comic.

To my surprise, I was an instant success but once I started thinking I was funny, I began bombing. Beleive me, there is almost nothing worse than hitting your laugh breaks and hearing dead silence. It is baptism by fire though when you bomb with your planned routine, as you THEN you start to improv and that is when you really get good.

I started getting really good then other things in my life took priorities. I can't tell you how much confidence it gives you when you know you have the ability to get up in front of a crowd with nothing but a mike and talk about your life and get people to laugh.

There are a lot of books on the subject and also training available in places like LA and San Francisco.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 07:48 pm
I would love to do it...except I've never put an effort into writing jokes, and nothing brilliant has ever popped into my head.

I have the book "Comedy Writing Secrets" by Melvin Helitzer. It's an entertaining read, but really breaks down the thought processes that go into writing comedy.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 08:42 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
I would love to do it...except I've never put an effort into writing jokes, and nothing brilliant has ever popped into my head.
I have the book "Comedy Writing Secrets" by Melvin Helitzer. It's an entertaining read, but really breaks down the thought processes that go into writing comedy.

Really? I always thought you thought you were hilarious.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 08:51 pm
Re: Anyone ever did open mic comedy before?
chris56789 wrote:
You know, where anyone can go on stage and do a 3 or 5 minutes of comedy material you wrote?

There are plenty of places here in New York. Are you ready?

Joe
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 09:30 pm
snood wrote:
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:

Really? I always thought you thought you were hilarious.

Thanks...what I mean was I've never thought of something with enough substance make a real joke out of.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 09:14 pm
Slappy, snood said he thought YOU thought you were hilarious.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 09:18 pm
Damn. You're right.

And Snood's right.

I'm hilarious.

In fact, I'd go so far to say, "I'm HI-LARIOUS!"
0 Replies