Billions for homeland security;no hurricane communication

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 04:43 pm
Why is it that billions have been spent on homeland security, according to Bush et al, to make us safer, but local authorities can't communicate with each other in the hurricane disaster areas?

A lot of that money was supposed to correct and improve the communication between first responders such as fire and police, etc., and yet the systems in the Gulf Coast areas completely broke down and after two days, still are not working.

Is it possible "homeland security" is an illusion?

BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,042 • Replies: 18
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 04:52 pm
BBB
CNN was broadcasting a report from one of their reporters in the French Quarter. A fireman who lived in the area asked the reporter to tell CNN that a fire had started in one of the buildings and the entire quarter could go up in flames. He used the reporter and CNN to contact the fire department to alert them to the fire.

What happend to all that homeland security money that was supposed to correct such problems?

BBB
0 Replies

Instigate

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 05:08 pm
Were you expecting Homeland Security to make us Hurricane proof?

There isn't a whole lot anyone can do without electrical lines, telephone lines and cellphone towers. Burying communication and electrical lines in the entire Gulf region would be a logistical and financial nightmare and it still wouldnt gaurantee stable communications and power in an event such as this.

There are just somethings the Government cannot do, BBB.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 05:12 pm
Given the communication problems at the time of the ice storm and then of the blackout, you'd think there'd have been some movement toward improving emergency communication systems.

<shrug>

Perhaps it's expecting too much. But they did get a man on the moon.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 05:20 pm
One of the problems is that the Hurricane took out not only the land lines but the cell phone towers as well. The one solution would be iridium, a satellite based phone system established by Motorola. But it was expensive and most commercial carriers dropped it. The defence department picked it up but it is not maintained at its original level.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 05:30 pm
Unfortunately, much of life requires winging one's way.

With luck, Katrina will at least be a dress rehearsal for a more smoothly functioning emergency communication system.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 05:37 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
One of the problems is that the Hurricane took out not only the land lines but the cell phone towers as well. The one solution would be iridium, a satellite based phone system established by Motorola. But it was expensive and most commercial carriers dropped it. The defence department picked it up but it is not maintained at its original level.

From the discussions I had with a few people down in the area today the big problem isn't station-to-station communications. The big issue is with a shortage of charged batteries for all of the handheld radios the police, fire, rescue , etc.. people use. They can't charge them fast enough to keep everyone on the air.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 05:38 pm
Re: Billions for homeland security;no hurricane communicatio
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Why is it that billions have been spent on homeland security, according to Bush et al, to make us safer, but local authorities can't communicate with each other in the hurricane disaster areas?

A lot of that money was supposed to correct and improve the communication between first responders such as fire and police, etc., and yet the systems in the Gulf Coast areas completely broke down and after two days, still are not working.

Is it possible "homeland security" is an illusion?

BBB

Better yet and even more importantly why didn't your pal Clinton see that this thing could have happened back when he was destroying the country? Wasn't his sidekick Gore the leader of the run down the information highway? With all that know-how and extreme genius you would have thought these two would have seen a way to tend to this somewhere from January of 1993 to the late months of 2000.

Face the fact here, a hurricane is not something along the same lines as what Homeland SECURITY is about. Also realize that this NATURAL disaster, not a terrorist attack, gives the Homeland Security people the opportunity to see where things need to be tweaked and worked out for the future so if there is a terrorist attack communications will work properly and fully.

Your continued negativity towards Bush and all Republicans is getting far far out of hand. You post anything and everything you can find each day, often times just posting entire news articles with no initial commentary. You then wait for the responses and when people say something opposing your views, you attack. When they support the viewpoint you have you leap right on in and slap 'em on the back and high five 'em. You are a prime reason WHY liberals are losing ground. You spend all your time and energy attacking and never offer solutions. In situations such as Hurricane Katrina you attack Bush and his administration once more. Instead of attacking why aren't you off somewhere volunteering to go down to Louisiana or Mississippi or another storm ravaged area? Think long and hard about it, do you want to be a constant carping nag or part of a solution. If you think there is a solution get out there and present it to the world.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 05:42 pm
fishin' wrote:
The big issue is with a shortage of charged batteries for all of the handheld radios the police, fire, rescue , etc.. people use. They can't charge them fast enough to keep everyone on the air.

This is interesting because several years ago the Coleman Company (the camp lamp people) was selling a hydrogen powered camping generator and as far as I know the product never went anywhere. This may be a second chance for that.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 06:29 pm
"crank-operated" radio receivers run for about thirty minutes with a few cranks of the handle(i have one myself - gift from ehbeth). they operate under any conditions and pull in am/fm and shortwave. i'd think it should have been possible to develop such instrument to operate as both a receiver and transmitter. crank-operated telephones were of course well known. i know that they required landlines but wonder if they could not also operate the way a radio does, i.e. airwaves.
btw those crank-radios are quite inexpensive, about $40 a piece - i wouldn't want to be without it any more.
i believe they have been widely distributed in africa to allow villagers in remote areas "to listen in to the world " - probably the BBC. hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 07:22 pm
Ham radio operators are doing what they can to help with the communication efforts.

http://www.arrl.org/

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/08/30/1/?nc=1

Quote:
Long-Distance Ham Radio Rescue

Ben Joplin, WB5VST, in Oklahoma City, is interviewed by local news media after getting word through to Louisiana officials that 15 people were stranded on a roof there. [Mark Conklin, N7XYO, Photo]

A call for help that involved a combination of cell telephone calls and Amateur Radio was instrumental in saving 15 people stranded by floodwaters on the roof of a house in New Orleans. Unable to get through an overloaded 911 system, one of those stranded called a relative in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. That individual, in turn, called another relative, Sybil Hayes in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, whose 81-year-old aunt Helen Elzy was among those clinging to the roof along with other family members.

Hayes called the American Red Cross chapter, which contacted the Tulsa Repeater Organization. Using the Red Cross chapter's well-equipped amateur station, TRO member Ben Joplin, WB5VST, was able to relay a request for help on the 20-meter SATERN net via stations in Oregon and Utah to Louisiana, where the ARES net contacted emergency personnel who rescued the 15 people.

"When all else fails, Amateur Radio works is more than a catchy tag line," says TRO's Mark Conklin, N7XYO. "It's a lifeline." He said as of late Monday evening, Elzy and the others on the roof were safe at a Red Cross shelter.

I recall in my teens that ham radio operators were still quite common. Don't hear about them as much anymore.

There is a group of visually impaired/blind ham radio operators that has been very active in communication/rescue efforts over the decades. They've done some good work. <props>
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 05:33 pm
Editorial New York Times
Published: September 1, 2005

Waiting for a Leader

George W. Bush gave one of the worst speeches of his life yesterday, especially given the level of national distress and the need for words of consolation and wisdom. In what seems to be a ritual in this administration, the president appeared a day later than he was needed. He then read an address of a quality more appropriate for an Arbor Day celebration: a long laundry list of pounds of ice, generators and blankets delivered to the stricken Gulf Coast. He advised the public that anybody who wanted to help should send cash, grinned, and promised that everything would work out in the end.

We will, of course, endure, and the city of New Orleans must come back. But looking at the pictures on television yesterday of a place abandoned to the forces of flood, fire and looting, it was hard not to wonder exactly how that is going to come to pass. Right now, hundreds of thousands of American refugees need our national concern and care. Thousands of people still need to be rescued from imminent peril. Public health threats must be controlled in New Orleans and throughout southern Mississippi. Drivers must be given confidence that gasoline will be available, and profiteering must be brought under control at a moment when television has been showing long lines at some pumps and spot prices approaching $4 a gallon have been reported.

Sacrifices may be necessary to make sure that all these things happen in an orderly, efficient way. But this administration has never been one to counsel sacrifice. And nothing about the president's demeanor yesterday - which seemed casual to the point of carelessness - suggested that he understood the depth of the current crisis.
While our attention must now be on the Gulf Coast's most immediate needs, the nation will soon ask why New Orleans's levees remained so inadequate. Publications from the local newspaper to National Geographic have fulminated about the bad state of flood protection in this beloved city, which is below sea level. Why were developers permitted to destroy wetlands and barrier islands that could have held back the hurricane's surge? Why was Congress, before it wandered off to vacation, engaged in slashing the budget for correcting some of the gaping holes in the area's flood protection?
It would be some comfort to think that, as Mr. Bush cheerily announced, America "will be a stronger place" for enduring this crisis. Complacency will no longer suffice, especially if experts are right in warning that global warming may increase the intensity of future hurricanes. But since this administration won't acknowledge that global warming exists, the chances of leadership seem minimal.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 08:07 pm
It seems Bill Clinton's one of the few liberals not playing politics with this disaster:

Quote:
MALVEAUX: Let me ask you this: There are some people at the New Orleans Convention Center who say that they have been living like animals -- no food, no water, no power. And they are the ones who are saying: Where are the buses? Where are the planes? Why did it take three days to see a real federal response here? Mr. Bush, you, whether it's fair or not, had gone through some administration criticism about your handling of Hurricane Andrew.

G.H.W. BUSH: I sure did.

MALVEAUX: Do you believe that this is legitimate?

G.H.W. BUSH: Yes, I do. What happened? We all sighed with -- not legitimate. I believe that they ought not to be as upset, but I can understand why they are. We thought, a lot of people thought, that when the hurricane went to the right a little bit, New Orleans was going to be spared. And it was only the next day that, you know, there were these horrible problems with the levee. But, look, if I were sitting there with no shower, no ability to use bathroom facilities, worried about my family, not knowing where they were, I'd blame anybody and so you have to expect that.

MALVEAUX: But do you think this administration responded quickly enough?

G.H.W. BUSH: Of course I do.

CLINTON: Let me answer this. The people in the Superdome are in a special position. And let me say, I've been going to New Orleans for over 50 years. There's no place on earth I love more. They went into the Superdome, not because of the flooding, but because we thought the hurricane was going to hit New Orleans smack dab and they'd be safe in there if they didn't leave town.

What happened was, when the levee broke and the town flooded, what did it do? It knocked out the electricity and it knocked out the sewage. They're living in hellacious conditions. They would be better off under a tree than being stuck there. You can't even breathe in that place now.

So I understand why they're so anxiety-ridden. But they have to understand, by the time it became obvious that they were in the fix they were in, there were a lot of other problems, too. There were people -- they were worried about people drowning that had to be taken off roofs.

MALVEAUX: So you two believe that the federal response was fast enough?

CLINTON: All I'm saying is what I know the facts are today. There are hundreds of buses now engaged in the act of taking people from New Orleans to the Astrodome in Houston. And you and I are not in a position to make any judgment because we weren't there.

All I'm saying is the way they got stuck there, I see why they feel the way they do. But the people that put them there did it because they thought they were saving their lives. And then when the problems showed up, they had a lot of other people to save. Now they've got hundreds of buses. We just need to get them out. I think they'll all be out by tomorrow. Didn't they say they would all be out by tomorrow morning?

G.H.W. BUSH: Yes.

MALVEAUX: OK. Well, thank you very much. I'm sorry. We've run out of time. Thank you.

G.H.W. BUSH: Let me -- I just to want finish. I believe the administration is doing the right thing, and I believe they have acted in a timely fashion. And I understand people being critical. That happens all the time. And I understand some people wanted to make, you know, a little difficulty by criticizing the president and the team. But I don't want to sit here and not defend the administration which, in my view, has taken all the right steps. And they're facing problems that nobody could foresee: breaking of the levees and the whole dome thing over in New Orleans coming apart. People couldn't foresee that.

CLINTON: Yes, I think that's important to point out. Because when you say that they should have done this, that or the other thing first, you can look at that problem in isolation, and you can say that.

But look at all the other things they had to deal with. I'm telling you, nobody thought this was going to happen like this. But what happened here is they escaped -- New Orleans escaped Katrina. But it brought all the water up the Mississippi River and all in the Pontchartrain, and then when it started running and that levee broke, they had problems they never could have foreseen.

And so I just think that we need to recognize right now there's a confident effort under way. People are doing the best they can. And I just don't think it's the time to worry about that. We need to keep people alive and get them back to life -- normal life.

Source

Hopefully I've put this in every one of BBB's numerous "Let's Blame Bush for Hurricane Katrina!" threads .....
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 09:25 pm
No communication = chaos = 1,000s will probably die.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 08:20 am
Snipe, snipe.

Day 5 after the hurricane hit. And there is still precious little of a military, NG or governmental presence.

There are just a ton of questions that stick out in my mind, yaknow? Like, didn't NO have a plan for what would happen if the city flooded badly/levees broke? The state of Louisiana didn't have a plan for what would happen?

I flatly refuse to believe that those levees could not have been fixed in some way. Or that more troops and vehicles could not already be there. The mayor of NO seems to agree with me:

http://metachat.org/index.php/2005/09/02/nagin_interview_from_wwl_am

As Atrios said, why should we pay to rebuild Iraq if we can't even rebuild one of our own cities?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 08:27 am
Quote:
we should have done more.

Anderson Cooper, for once, is exactly right. There is no excuse for what is happening right now, none. We pay people large amounts of money to come up with worst-case scenarios and disaster plans.

Can't you imagine a group of people at FEMA (whom, I just found out, is headed by a total dipsh*t) sitting around the day BEFORE the hurricane hit asking questions like:

How are we going to evacuate the town? Many people won't/can't leave in time.

How are we going to fix a break in the levees?

How are we going to get food and water to people who remain afterwards?

How are we going to fight fires in the city afterwards?

Where are we going to put 500k+ refugees?

---

None of these questions have been answered. This is a gross failure of management and heads are going to roll over this, I guarantee.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 09:26 am
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/050901/480/flpc21109012015

Nothing like proper planning....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 10:36 am
billions
you may want to have a look at the post "canada ready to help...but...".
it all is a bit puzzling. but as i said, perhaps there are snags that i'm not aware of. hbg

...CANADA READY TO HELP...BUT...
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 11:33 am
For years as many of you know I have been telling folks as a former federal employee that the reason no one answers the phone when you call is that there is no one there to answer.

The budgets of the various federal agencies have been cut, cut, cut. All of pay less federal tax now than we did in 1986. Contracting out does not work. When you put the pedal to the metal contractors and contracting out just does not do the job.

I have heard from some of my friends on site working for SSA, yes the Social Security Administration, is always there during this type of disaster (well the scale of this one is beyond belief), but they go - the workers and do what they do. That would be to process and authorize payments for death benefits and disability payments on the scene.

When I left SSA in 1984 there were 1,300 field offices, and 80,000 employees. Now there are about a 3rd as many field offices and an only 40,000 employees.

Other agencies have been cut more. People in New Orleans are begging for help. At one time the federal government may have been able to help. But not now - that is a fact.
0 Replies