a2k Bakery is now open. ((All things bread thread))

Reply Wed 15 May, 2024 11:06 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,494 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 May, 2024 11:33 am
Over 3,200 different types of bread are registered in Germany.

My favourites are double-baked Paderborner
´
https://i.imgur.com/HT7DYT1m.png

and pumpernickel

https://i.imgur.com/oZtOL6xm.png

of course not from a ‘bread factory’ but from a 'normal', real bakery.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 15 May, 2024 12:10 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Over 3,200 different types of bread are registered in Germany.

My favourites are double-baked Paderborner

You probably already know this. But Google sucks! I googled double-baked Paderborner and what Google thinks that is? twice baked potatoes.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 May, 2024 12:22 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
double-baked Paderborner
Paderborner [because it comes from the Paderborn region]: 65% rye, 35% wheat, natural sourdough. It is baked in a loaf tin on stone, has a shiny crust, soft crustless sides and a well-loosened crumb.
‘Double baked’ (Doppelback): the bread remains in the oven after being ready for about another ten minutes to toast. This gives it a thicker crust and a more intense flavour.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 15 May, 2024 01:33 pm
@tsarstepan,
My British father always bought us Hovis bread but you can't get it here and I've thought about making it... requires wheat germ which I don't have at present.

But on youtube, I found some great bread/bun recipes for 2 people - you can make one or two loaves, 4 or 8 buns (hamburger type)... Leigh Anne Wilkes, if anyone is interested. I dislike thawed bread.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 15 May, 2024 02:24 pm
@Mame,
Hovis is a big bakery, they do a huge range of loaves, white sliced is very popular.

I think you might be referring to wholemeal loaves which is what Hovis were known for back in the 70s.

We just use strong wholemeal flour, that has its own wheatgerm.

I have just got back into making my own bread, my trick is to use a food mixer for the kneading, and let it knead a lot, (20mins plus,) then I let the first proving get a bit out of hand before I knock it back into shape.
Mame

Reply Wed 15 May, 2024 05:46 pm
@izzythepush,
Yes, that is exactly the loaf I'm referring to. It was small, dense, and dark brown with very thin slices. I loved it. I don't know what you refer as 'wholemeal' - we have whole wheat flour, but I don't think it has wheatgerm in it. I wonder if I could get it here - I did find a recipe and would love to try it out.
Mame

Reply Wed 15 May, 2024 05:52 pm
@Mame,
Does this look like it might taste like the 70s stuff?

http://www.thebreadkitchen.com/recipes/hovis-recipe-old-style/#:~:text=Hovis%20was%20originally%20made%20from,tastes%20as%20it%20used%20to.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 15 May, 2024 11:44 pm
@Mame,
Sorry no.

It uses white flour.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/wholemeal_bread_91623

Having said that I've never used treacle, I just use a little bit of sugar.

And I normally follow the recipe on the back of the packet of flour (which has never included treacle.)
izzythepush

Reply Wed 15 May, 2024 11:53 pm
@izzythepush,
Basically it's the flour. This is stoneground which is better than ordinary wholemeal because the millstones add minerals.
https://assets.sainsburys-groceries.co.uk/gol/475730/1/300x300.jpg

It seems strange not to sell it, white flour has all this stuff taken out only to put it back in for wholemeal loaves.

This advert came out around the same time as hovis ads.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 16 May, 2024 04:29 am
@izzythepush,
Flour has certain types here in Germany.
During milling, all components of the grain (endosperm, outer layers and germ) are finely ground in several passes. Flours with a low type number contain more starch and soluble fibre from the endosperm. The higher the type number, the more mineral-rich husk components are contained.
This is also reflected in the appearance of wheat flour in particular: type 1050 flour is more brownish in colour than type 405 flour, which is almost white.
Wholemeal products contain all the components of the ground grain. This is why they are not labelled with a type designation.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 16 May, 2024 05:04 am
@Walter Hinteler,
"Genetically", I should actually know a bit more about it, but that's not the case at all.
Explanation:

When my great-great-great-grandmother was paid her share of the inheritance from the farm/mansion and land which was sold and married (her husband had still taken the name of the farm [Hinteler]), she bought a steam mill in the Ruhr district (today in the area of the city of Essen) as a widow.
They milled everything.

https://i.imgur.com/H24Kwk2l.jpg

However, she sold this mill a short time later (it had probably become unprofitable due to the industrialisation of the area) and built a new ‘automatic roller mill’ in her old home.

The business, called ‘Hinteler Brothers, corn mechants and millers’, was the largest in the area and became the county's official mill after the First World War.
Grandfather was the chairman of the Supervisory Board of the Westphalian Mill Cooperation for more than a decade.

Unfortunately, the business was located within the town and completely destroyed in a huge air raid at the end of the Second World War (all female paternal relatives and a newborn baby died then as well).
izzythepush

Reply Thu 16 May, 2024 07:50 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Sorry to hear about that Walter.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 19 May, 2024 12:20 am
The thing is Canadian wholemeal flour is available here, so I can't see why it's not available at home.

https://www.ocado.com/productImages/155/15570011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=6970ab35a2c3fac67f5fd761f38adcab
Mame

Reply Sun 19 May, 2024 10:29 am
@izzythepush,
You'd have to really look for it - it's not in our everyday grocers. I sometimes even have trouble finding 00 flour. I've never seen 'wholemeal' flour.
Ragman

Reply Sun 19 May, 2024 10:45 am
@Mame,
Terminology issue. I believe that’s we here in NA call whole wheat flour or whole grain.

Likewise, I have a little trouble getting 00 flour. I often need a specialty store or an Italian grocery.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 19 May, 2024 10:52 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
I've never seen 'wholemeal' flour.
Here, they sell wholemeal flours from wheat, spelt, green spelt, oats, kamut, barley, rye, emmer, einkorn and pseudo-cereals such as millet, amaranth, quinoa and buckwheat. Several are certainly not available everywhere, but wholemeal wheat, rye and spelt flours are available in every supermarket.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 19 May, 2024 10:57 am
@Ragman,
"00 type" - that's the Italian "tipo 00"? (Which would be German type 405, rhe classic household flour.)
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 19 May, 2024 11:48 am
@Mame,
If it's tricky to get hold of you might want to try health food places.

Back in the 70s, when my dad was told he had go have wholemeal flour, we had to go to health food places because it wasn't in the supermarkets.
Mame

Reply Tue 21 May, 2024 08:56 am
@izzythepush,
Yeah, I would but wasn't too impressed by the Hovis recipe I found, so likely won't bother.
0 Replies