Kentucky Shenanigans

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 11:55 am
Quote:
Monday, August 29, 2005
Fletcher Issues Blanket Pardons To All Involved (Except Himself) In Press Conference With Cheering Political Staff (Merit Employees Not Invited) Akin To Political Rally And Implies He Will Take The 5th Tomorrow Before The Grand Jury

Just minutes ago, Governor Ernie Fletcher, in one of the more audacious displays of political grandstanding, in a setting full of cheering and clapping political supporters, announced that he was thumbing his nose at the Kentucky criminal justice system, announced he was issuing "blanket" pardons (calling it amnesty, but Section 77 of the state constitution does not contain the term 'amnesty', only 'pardon') to anyone who "might have violated" state's Merit System laws. Yes, he left it that open and vague.

Sadly, Fletcher referred to the acts which have resulted in more than a dozen indictments as nothing more than "noodling" which is the term for catching fish without bait, which according to him calls for a punishment equal to what these crimes would result in if convicted. This was nearly identical to a newspaper interview Governor Fletcher conducted last week with the Maysville Ledger-Independent:

He likened the situation to fishing out of season.

"Do you know what noodling is?" The governor asked. "Noodling is the way to catch a catfish by reaching up under a rock with your fingers. It is legal during the season."

Out of season noodling is a class B misdemeanor -- just the same as some of the charges that have been levied against some member of Fletcher's administration.

"What the attorney general is saying, is that some of our people are conspiring to commit a misdemeanor," Fletcher said. "They are targeting people sitting around conspiring to noodle."

Also, while Fletcher says he will not pardon himself and will appear before the grand jury tomorrow as required, he stated that he would not speak. One can only conclude he is intending to invoke the 5th Amendment.

I will have much, much more about these developments as the evening progresses. But just remember the following comments made two years after then Democratic Governor Paul Patton pardoned four campaign workers before trial:

FLASHBACK: Day After Governor Paul Patton Pardons Aides In 2003, Steve Pence Says "Things like that are not going to happen in a Fletcher-Pence administration"
Pat Crowley of the Cincinnati Enquirer got the goods from Steve Pence the day after Governor Paul Patton pardoned four campaign aides in 2003. This is why Crowley is one of the best around. We are all counting on Governor Fletcher and Lt. Governor Pence to stand by that pledge.

Friday, June 20, 2003
Patton's pardons galvanize Republicans
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Patrick Crowley
The Cincinnati Enquirer

COVINGTON - The moves Gov. Paul Patton made in pardoning four campaign workers and commuting the death sentence of a convicted murderer have given Republicans a major campaign issue in this fall's gubernatorial race.

Patton's actions Wednesday afternoon continued to generate a buzz Thursday among nearly 80 Kentucky lawmakers who were in the region for two days of committee meetings and tours of area attractions.

Patton was a major target of speakers at a Thursday morning campaign fund-raiser for state Sen. Damon Thayer, R-Georgetown, a first-term legislator who represents southern Kenton County. Thayer raised $12,000 at the event, which attracted about 50 contributors.

"Things like that are not going to happen in a Fletcher-Pence administration," said Republican lieutenant governor candidate Steve Pence, a former federal prosecutor and running mate of Ernie Fletcher, the GOP candidate for governor.

Also, here are few more remarks from other Republican leaders at the time:

Larry Forgy, the Republican who lost to Patton in 1995 and whose allegations of vote-buying helped start the investigation, said : "I predicted that he would do this because Skipper knows so much on him that he either had to pardon him or drown him. You don't pardon innocent men. It proves the rule of law doesn't apply to a Democrat in the governor's race."
Fletcher's campaign released a statement from spokesman Wes Irvin that said : "Congressman Fletcher is disappointed by this entire good - ole - boy political saga. It's one more example of why we need a change in Frankfort."
Senate President David Williams, R-Burkesville, said Patton..."is bringing disrepute to our state."
"It becomes more evident that those who had called early for Gov. Patton's resignation, in hindsight probably had some vision," Williams said. "The last six or seven months have been miserable ... because of this administration.
"I pity Paul Patton for getting himself in a situation where he is so emotionally strung out by his own shortcomings," he said.
"It's inappropriate," said state Sen. Jack Westwood, R-Crescent Springs. "I don't think it is going to help Ben Chandler at all; it's going to help the Republicans. But it's not a good thing for the commonwealth. We're getting ridiculed and laughed at again, and I'm tired of this."
And who was the only one that had the guts to speak out against his own party's interests at the time? Fletcher's own opponent at the time Democratic nominee Ben Chandler, and now sixth district congressman. Chandler said:

Chandler responded by calling for Patton's resignation. "He has substituted his judgment for that of a jury, before evidence was ever heard. This causes further loss of public faith in our leaders, in government and in our political process," Chandler said. "I believe that Governor Patton, through today's action, has again betrayed the trust and confidence of the people of Kentucky. I believe he should resign."
Posted by Mark Nickolas on Monday, August 29, 2005 at 06:42 PM | Permalink

Quote:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002456524_kypolitics30.html

Now, let me get this straight.

A Republican Gov. pardoned all of his subordinates under investigation? In front of a cheering room of people?

Looks like there will be a Dem gov. in Kentucky soon enough....

Cycloptichorn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 551 • Replies: 1
No top replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 03:21 pm
I'm a conservative,and I live in Ky.
I watched his press conference and I was disgusted by it.
By doing what he did,we will NEVER know how many people were punished just because of their political affiliation.

I will say here and now that he will not get my vote if he runs again.
0 Replies