Gee, George Bush does have a compassionate heart after all

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 10:58 am
Gee, George Bush does have a compassionate heart after all. He's cutting his month-long vacation by one day to return to the Whitehouse to deal with the hurricane. Of course, he could have handled that from Crawford Texas, but that wouldn't make as good publicity photo ops and speeches as from the Whitehouse.

BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 572 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 11:06 am
Well at least it isn't your usual diatribe about how President Bush doesn't have a brain. Let's see, if he had stayed in Crawford, you would have screamed that he found his vacation was more important than the people. See what I mean? He can't please the liberals for anything no matter how hard he tries.

Come on though, admit the facts...you like Mr.Bush and are saddened that he won't get a third term.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 11:29 am
Frank
As long as Karl Rove stands George Bush up in front, waving the flag of anti-abortion, anti homosexual marriage, anti-secular government, etc., his political base will vote for him against their own self-interest. Bush knows this and he can help his rich friends and contributors by using these misguided people to further their elite agenda.

BBB
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 11:33 am
But I'm a homosexual without any money. How can you explain me?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 01:14 pm
Sturgis wrote:

It would be uncharitable in the extreme to do so . . .
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 01:27 pm
Sturgis wrote:

Bush was a cheerleader?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 08:34 am
Bush Back to D.C. to Help Relief Efforts
Bush Back to D.C. to Help Relief Efforts
By LIZ SIDOTI, Associated Press Writer
8/31/05

President Bush is returning to Washington to oversee the federal response to Hurricane Katrina as aides make arrangements for an expected visit to storm-ravaged areas of the Gulf Coast later this week.

Bush cut his monthlong vacation by two days even though aides have long contended that his duties are uninterrupted when he spends time at his ranch in nearby Crawford that has White House-level communications capability.

The president decided he should be in the nation's capital given the magnitude of destruction and death caused by Katrina, one of the most severe storms to ever hit the United States.

"These are trying times for the people of these communities. We know that many are anxious to return to their homes. It's not possible at this moment," the president said Tuesday during a speech in Coronado, Calif. "Right now our priority is on saving lives, and we are still in the midst of search and rescue operations."

Katrina left thousands homeless in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama, and many more without electricity or fresh drinking water.

The storm also caused the closure of oil platforms and pipelines in the Gulf Coast. Energy Secretary Samuel Bodman said Wednesday the administration will release from the federal petroleum reserves to help refiners affected by the hurricane.

Bush originally was to return to the White House on Friday, after spending more than four weeks operating from his ranch. But after getting updates on the devastation, he decided to fly back to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue to personally oversee a massive federal emergency assistance program.

"The president's preference is to manage the response efforts from Washington, and that's why he made the decision to return," said White House press secretary Scott McClellan.

Returning to Washington ahead of schedule also could insulate the president from criticism that he was on vacation during the crisis, and the return could be seen as a symbolic gesture to hurricane victims.

"I don't think that's necessarily the way to look at it," McClellan told reporters. "The devastation is enormous. The destruction and loss of life is very sobering. Our focus remains on saving lives and making sure that we're prioritizing the relief efforts to get assistance to those who are most in need right now."

The president, upon his return to Washington, planned to chair a meeting of a White House task force set up to coordinate the federal efforts to assist hurricane victims across more than a dozen agencies.

Bush was expected to visit the ravaged region by week's end, but details on that trip were in flux as the White House worked to make sure a presidential tour would not disrupt the relief and response efforts.

The president was leaving Texas just as anti-war protesters, who had gathered near his ranch for nearly a month, were departing on a bus tour aimed at building momentum to bring home U.S. troops from Iraq. Protesters dogged the president during trips to Arizona and California this week.

On Tuesday, Bush gave his third speech in just over a week defending his Iraq policies as the White House scrambled to counter growing public concern about the war.

Standing against a backdrop of the imposing USS Ronald Reagan at a naval air station near San Diego, the president gave a fresh reason for American troops to continue fighting: protection of the Iraq's vast oil fields, which he said would otherwise fall under the control of terrorists.

Bush said the Iraqi oil industry, already suffering from sabotage and lost revenues, must not fall under the control of Osama bin Laden and al-Qaida forces led in Iraq by Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.

"If Zarqawi and bin Laden gain control of Iraq, they would create a new training ground for future terrorist attacks," Bush said. "They'd seize oil fields to fund their ambitions. They could recruit more terrorists by claiming a historic victory over the United States and our coalition."

A one-time oilman, Bush has rejected charges that the war in Iraq is a struggle to control the nation's vast oil wealth. The president has avoided making links between the war and Iraq's oil reserves, but the soaring cost of gasoline has focused attention on global petroleum sources.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 08:08 pm
One thing I noticed,
Congress WONT interrupt its vacation to provide emergency financing.
Why not?
Why is Hillary still in Hawaii?
Where is Congress?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 08:17 pm
Hillary's still in New York.

newsday

and next week - the air reserve and national guard just down the road

news 10
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 08:26 pm
ehBeth wrote:

newsday

news 10

So,its more important for her to celebrate a base staying open then it isd to get federal funding to the disaster areas?
That says alot about her,doesnt it.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 08:37 pm
That clown Bush is still on vacation? I know bums that work harder then him.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 05:07 am
mysteryman wrote:
So,its more important for her to celebrate a base staying open then it isd to get federal funding to the disaster areas?

Quiet down, she's the darling of the Democratic party and the hope of all the liberals. Bash Bush why not. Question any Democrat ever...for shame! http://www.reincarnate.co.uk/index.0263.gif
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 05:18 am
strugis and MM, turn off your computers and get your asses down there to volunteer. you compassionate christian conservatives you.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 05:35 am
Oh dear me BVT. did you miss the post where I told FrankApisa that I am not a Christian? A God worshipper, yes. Compassionate, yes. Christian, no.

(Do I still have to go?)
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 05:43 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
strugis and MM, turn off your computers and get your asses down there to volunteer. you compassionate christian conservatives you.

I already have.
I have contacted the red cross and the DoD to offer my services as a medic.
I am waiting for a response.
Since you claim not to be a "compassionate christian",does that mean you wont volunteer or donate anything?
Somehow,I think thats exactly what it means.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 02:17 pm
mysteryman wrote:
ehBeth wrote:

newsday

news 10

You lied about her location.
That says a lot about you, doesn't it?

I thought so.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 04:41 pm
ehBeth wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
ehBeth wrote:

newsday

news 10

You lied about her location.
That says a lot about you, doesn't it?

I thought so.

No,I didnt lie.
I went by the last information I knew to be correct.
Hert and Chelsea had been on vacation in Hawaii.
I hadnt heard any different.

But either way,why isnt she either in Washington or in New Orleans,doing what she can to help?
0 Replies

DoctorD71

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 03:42 pm
Because it's not her job. Congress is a deliberative body, not a group of emergency respondents. Visiting New Orleans would be mostly a gesture just for show, much like President Bush going down there to hug a random black man to show "he cares."
0 Replies